Rotating shifter knob

n-mo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I bought and installed the MGW gripper shift knob. For anyone who has one, you know what I'm talking about when I say "I love it!" The problem I'm having is that I can rotate the knob clockwise or counterclockwise with heavy turning pressure from my hand. I know that the knob itself is "locked in" with the hex nut used for tightening, because when I turn the shift knob, the hex nut rotates with it. How gentlemen do I fix this problem? Do I simply have to rotate the shift knob clockwise until the entire unit becomes tight?

Note: when taking the stock shifter off, it was very difficult to break the hex nut from its locked position at the base of the shifter and there was definitely some rotation of the two of them together.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need to tighten it more. I've never had any play in the ones Ive done.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine did that when i bought my car. i took my car in for maintenance and the dealer told me there was a bushing of some sort that needed replaced near the tranny. ???

i still to this day dont know what they fixed, but they made it sound like it was no big deal, and now it is nice and tight.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the isolator shaft is broken. it's rubber mounted (shifter bolts to it,it bolts to shifting mechanism) It is made to isolate the trans vibrations from your hand. The rubber vulcanizing has come loose. Deterts short shifter bolt fixes this problem or you can make yer own.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"the isolator shaft is broken. it's rubber mounted (shifter bolts to it,it bolts to shifting mechanism) It is made to isolate the trans vibrations from your hand. The rubber vulcanizing has come loose. Deterts short shifter bolt fixes this problem or you can make yer own"

Or it may just be slipping around the stud on the shifter arm. I encountered this when I changed my shift knob. Red loc-tite on the inside of the bushing where it meets the stud will cure this. That's all the factory used.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As has been said, the rubber isolator portion of the shifter shaft may have failed, or has come loose. If its failed, you can pull it up and out (don't try this while driving).

The rubber isolater on my '95 came completely apart at 60k miles - allowing the upper shaft assembly to be pulled up and out; not good - a bit of a problem if it came out while driving. As such, I replaced the shifter with an aftermarket (B&M Ripper). Can't say I liked the aftermarket any more than the stock Gen I shifter. I think the B&M would be an improvement over my current Gen II shifter, but it wasn't noticably better than the Gen I unit.