SCT 9550 Base Tune Problems at Hot Rod Shop ... not correct "dongle"? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the shop getting a dyno pull this morning.

I showed him the SCT 9550 I purchased. These come with NO tune on them. They are good for a DYNO tune.

He hooked it up, got on the SCT website and it wouldnt give him a VIPER base tune.

It said he didnt have access to them (and he said he has access to ALL SCT tunes).

Something about the "dongle" not being correct ... does he just have to update something or are there NO SCT base-tunes anymore?

I may not be using the correct word ... but I am sure you can figure out the word I am supposed to be using HAHAH.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dongle is a device used to get the program from the computer to a specific application. We use them on jet engine computer systems and you have to have the correct dongle for the program you are using. Sounds like the Viper program takes a specific dongle to load your sct tune, just my .02. Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, this seems like a problem with the Hot Rod Shops setup ... not something I need to worry about, right?

Should I push them to update / pay for the dongle, or head somewhere else that already has the dongle ... meaning they probably have already tuned a Viper there with the SCT? ---

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If he is not a Viper shop, he does not have access to Viper tuning. Viper tuning is a separate package.

There is NO WAY I would recommend going to a shop who is brand new on Viper Software and letting them have a go at your car. Hell- even most Viper specific shops don't even know what they are doing when they get access to a JTEC. It does not function the same way that many other controllers out there do, and many shops make changes they shouldn't be making, in areas they shouldn't be touching. There are NO base modification programs for the Viper software, everything has be set up by the shop doing the tuning.

In short... go to a Viper shop or call a Viper shop.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now thats GOLDEN advice. I had no clue about this.

By a "viper shop" you mean a hot rod shop that is familiar with working on Vipers?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where to begin. To get my SCT Software to work, I had to sign a bunch of paperwork with SCT, give them my PCM serial number, and then when I loaded the software and did the auto-update feature, it downloaded whatever access protocol it needed to activate the dongle from SCT in order to authorize me to access/load the base Viper tune. I have to have the dongle in the USB port anytime I'm accessing the SCT software.

Here is the SCT POC I worked with. Great customer support:)
Samantha Kadlac
Sales Account Representative
976 Florida Central Pkwy Ste 136
Longwood, FL 32750
www.sctflash.com
(407)774-2447 x104
(407)260-6275 fax

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to have the dongle in the USB port anytime I'm accessing the SCT software.

Is the dongle a peice that the hot rod shop should already have or do I need to order it myself?

Thanks for the support info!!! :D ---

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A Viper Shop who is an SCT Viper Tuner does not need you to have a Pro-Racer Package [Dongle of your own] to program your device. The PRP is only needed if you want to work on your own tuning, or intend to have a shop who is NOT an SCT Viper Tuner do the tuning.