Should I buy a 1996 or 1997 B/W GTS?

crusin9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After months of searching for the right Viper, I have whittled it down to these two. The first is a 1996 B/W GTS with a low serial number (00062). It has 15k miles and two previous owners. I can get it for $48k. The second is a 1997 B/W with 6k miles. It is a one owner car and I can get it for $50k. They are both in excellent condition. My question is which car do you think would be better from a value/collectablity standpoint? Is an early build 1996 GTS with a few more miles a more desirable car than a lower miles 1997 GTS? Again, they are both in excellent condition. They both have all the original part number stickers on the inner fender wells and the paint on both is original and virtually perfect. I have been going back and forth for two days now and would like to hear your opinions. Also, if someone in the San Francisco bay area has the Viper buying guide, or knows where I can pick one up today, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 97 is faster!as for collectability, who knows, they are both relativly rare enough that I think condition will be the key in the future. Put it another way, I paid 62k for my brand new 97, almost 10 years ago, thats not a huge depreciation for 9 years on a car like that, most porsches or other comparables took a much greater hit & it looks like the gts is staying level or actually on the upswing.

As for enjoyment, the 96 was a first year car for this body/chassis/engine & there were upgrades along the way, so the 97 might be the better driver. Either way , your gonna love it

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 97 with 6K for $50K sounds like a good buy.

Contact: Maurice Liang for the Viper Buyers Guide. Here's his contact info.

Maurice Liang
101 First Street, Suite 420
Los Altos, CA 94022
Home: 650-948-6676
Fax: 650-948-1968
Email: [email protected]

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a "value/collectablity standpoint" the low # 96 would be the way to go. If you could locate an original Pace Car decal set, that should also add to the cars appeal in the future.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
97 got the nicer dash,check them both out and pay attention to the center gauges.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1997! The door mouldings are much nicer and fit. The battery drain problem (2 weeks its dead) is fixed on the 1997. The wheels on 97 are forged not cast, plus they are buffed better. Gear rattle problem is fixed (its only oil but still). The engine calibration is better (can reflash 96 but still)..only down side I hate..was the stripe no longer goes through rear license plate area...looks better in 1996. I would still get the 1997..lower mileage is better..less "beat" time. From a collectibility stand point... the 1996 in some circles "might" get more money in the future...but hey these cars are 10 years old already and the 97 with low mileage is more money still...so it wont be that much more if any....

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the 97, for some of the above reasons already stated,heck if the wife would of let me, I would of bought both,sooner or later I will buy a 96 GTS and a 97 RT/10, for me it is a blue and white thing...

Either way, you can not loose, go with the one that really moves ya, set in each one, and it will not be long before it hits you which one is for you...

But, which ever one you buy, please drive it often, and drive it like you stole it, it will love you for that....

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 B/W GTS will always be more collectable than the 97 B/W GTS. So go for the 96. Can I have a contact for the 97? My brother wants one just like mine. :D

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too many miles and owner's for the '96 to be a better value than the '97....i personally believe the '96 will be worth more in the future due to 1st year of coupe,only year stripe passes through rear license plate area,picked as pace car for indy 500,etc....if your looking to collect or just show, go with a "low" mileage(<10k miles),one owner '96....if your looking to drive,the '97 might be the better choice;can probably get a '97 for a few thousand less than a similiar mileage/1-owner '96...i went through the same ordeal almost two years ago...went with a 1 owner '96 with 2,500 miles;couldn't be happier!

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both are great, I would do the 97 less mileage and also less chance of issues.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They made a lot of B/W’s so you will have to wait a long time for them to go up in value. I shopped both and ended up with a 96 with 1880 miles. I think the 96 stripes look much better going through the license plate and that was the deciding factor for me. With that said, if I had to choose between the two cars you listed I would pick the 97 because it has lower miles.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 1996 will always be worth more but I do not think the value will be that significant. Either way you can not loose. The main thing you should think about is, are you going to drive the car or keep it as a collector car? After you decide, then you choose the car accordingly. Higher mileage is best for drives and lower for collectors.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars make lousy investments, put your money elsewhere if your worried about "collectability" someday. There are plenty of blue and whites around, your dreaming if you think a car with over 15K is going to bring some big pay day down the road. It's middle aged. Just drive it and enjoy it while you can.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars make lousy investments, put your money elsewhere if your worried about "collectability" someday. There are plenty of blue and whites around, your dreaming if you think a car with over 15K is going to bring some big pay day down the road. It's middle aged. Just drive it and enjoy it while you can.
Good point........ :2tu:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 & 1997's have the same dash.

1996 & 1997's have the same power.

Some early 1997's had cast wheels. No 1996 had forged.

All TSB's either have been or can be performed on either car. Running changes should be no issue. (alarm, battery drain, etc.)

Both came with ATF as the OEM trans fill. Both can use Syntorq to quiet NGR if you find it offensive.

The 9K mileage variance is only important if you drive a few K a year. If your drive 5 ~ 10/yr, what difference does it make?

Cars might be lousy investments, but any Viper and especially B&W's depreciate less than most other similar cars, therefore I'd suggest B&W Vipers are a less worse investment. In the end, I have no doubt I will have enjoyed my 1996 GTS for 20+ years and sell it for equal to or more than I paid for it.

In my mind, that makes for a pretty nice "investment".

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with Ron. In my opinion it would be the 97' for a driver
a. less miles
b. less owners

96' for a collector
a. if you plan on driving it less
b. a lot less, since it already has 15k miles
c. It will always be a little more desireable

So basically to have fun the 97'
To put away the 96'

Check out my car....it is also for sale.
Mine would fall into the less miles and more desirable year category, Maybe something for you to consider.
Good Luck!!

OP
OP
C

crusin9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the concensus is that the 1997 may be a better value for the money. I do like the fact it is a one owner and has low miles. I will keep everyone updated on my progress with that car.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that '97 deal falls through,check out this one...
3,600 miles, stock, 55k.

3696DSC01340-med.JPG

Matt