small rubber piece on bottom of starter

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the small 1" rubber piece on the bottom of the start is? I knocked it off, and the plastic clips that hold it in seem broken. Do I need it and if so, can it be purchased??

Thanks all,

martyb

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nobody? I have to think someones run across this before.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen them on other starters. I'm not exactly sure what it is though. It may be an access to a screw or wire or something.
I haven't had a starter apart in almost 10yrs ;)

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you talking about the little black thing? I think that is just a moisture drain tube.

pu_starter_clean1.JPG

I doubt it means much if you do not drive in the rain (more to keep water from splashing in the drain hole than out).

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup, thats the piece I am referring to. I suspected it was a drain of somesort, just didn't know if I could drive the car in the rain without it. I may just put a dab of RTV on it, put in back on the starter and call it a day.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Think of that rubber tube as a splash shield more than a drain.

Ted

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck!! It seems to have a small plastic clip to hold it in place, which broke on my part. I ended up putting a dab of RTV on it and re-installing. Next time I am under the car, well have to see if it worked! If not, can that part be purchased, or would I need to buy an entire starter?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte