Snake-Oyls & K&N's In...Now We're Talkin...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake-Oyls & K&N\'s In...Now We\'re Talkin...

Just got back from the first ride since the pipes and K&Ns. Gotta love that sound of the Snake-Oyls...not too loud, but really sweet. Gave it some gas where the road is lined by walls....I thought I was at a straight a LeMans! Thanks to Bill "Vipermeister" Pemberton and Chris Marshall. You guys were right-on about this!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Snake-Oyls & K&N\'s In...Now We\'re Talkin...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
Gave it some gas where the road is lined by walls....I thought I was at a straight a LeMans!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can relate to that! We have a road here that is also between two giant retaining walls. I always make sure the windows are open and goose it through that stretch. Sounds GREAT! Just don't forget to let your car warm up to operating temperature before you take off. Otherwise you will learn where the "oyl" in Snake Oyl ends up - all over the back of the car! I Zaino'ed mine early on so that what does end up on it wipes off pretty easily.

Isn't it nice to finally have the sound match the rest of the car?
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris..I did heed earlier instructions about letting the car idle for a while before driving it. Believe it or not..if there is any oil on the back of the car...I have yet to find it. Maybe they changed something in the way they make the pipes?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
Maybe they changed something in the way they make the pipes?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe it's because mine was going through a quart of Mobil 1 every 350 miles - it had to go SOMEWHERE! Sigh...
<center>
</center>

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Question:

Does the Snake-Oyl setup replace the cats (not delete them)? While I had my sills off, I checked out the pipes. I did not see a break between the cats and the resonators. You either replace the mufflers on back or the cats on back.

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree 100% with the comment that with straight pipes the Viper sounds just like it should. In particular, dropping to 3rd gear in a Swiss tunnel (and there are plenty of them !)you can enjoy a real symphony. However, in 6th gear on the highway, there is practically no difference with or without the rear muffler and this could be a blessing on a long trip.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To answer Ulysses' question. These pipes simply replace the muffler, and connect just ahead of the rear. No reason to remove the sills for this. And to Michel of Switzerland...thanks for the movies on your site...helped me make up my mind

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Installed my Snake Oyl pipes this weekend and didn't warm it up enough before driving off.... It was a mess. The only problem I found with the pipes is that the tips are 4 inches longer than stock. A bit too long for my taste. Looks like they'll be coming off for a trim...</FONT f>

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

JonB is right, if you shorten the Snake-Oyl tips, you run the risk of carbon particles leaving small burns in the paint across the entire rear panel. They were intentionally made longer to fix this problem.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not a stupid question. At least I hope not, especially since I'm interested in the answer too!

I have the same setup from Woodhouse (just took delivery last Sunday) and was interested in making her sound a bit meaner -- without sacrificing HP/torque.

Steve