...So what is the good deal now?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sure the Hell hope not being a 2003 owner.
Sure if you wait till winter you may get a better deal but if your buying in Southern states I don't think it will matter winter or not.

If you wait another 6 months you will probably get a better deal and if you wait another year you may get an even better deal, But [******] or get of the *** if you want the car buy it if you want to be a tire-kicker, have fun.

good luck

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would wait till after VOI9...lol. Seriously, you can buy used ones for low 50s...maybe even 48k or 49k.

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can always wait to get a better deal but then something new will come out and you'll want that so you wait for its price to come down but then something new comes out... Until you just buy the thing the cycle won't end.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My viewpoint is that cars come in three flavors:

The ones made of Unobtanium - IE the 2008 Model,
The ones made of Unaffordium - generally the latest model actually shipping,
and lastly those made on don't_wantium, you know - last years model.

Those made of dontwantium are always a better deal, but the appeal is less than the other models.

Each of us chooses the one we want - or not.

Like the old joke about Oldsmobiles; There are three models, the 98, for the 'man about town',
the 88, for the more frugal buyer,
and lastly the urinate, for those who just want to piddle around.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike hit the nail right on the head. Sure, you could wait for the 600hp 2008 coupe (I thought about it), but you're not going to get it for $75k. Try $95k-100k if you can find one.

Just look at the Z06 right now. It's King of the Hill and you can't get one under MSRP. When the Viper is back on top, the same thing will happen (and DC makes far fewer). Dealers don't need to discount cars that sell well and I promise that a Z06 beating Viper will sell well because it will then reclaim the title of "greatest performance bargain of all time".

If you want a new Viper at a blowout price, now is your best chance to grab one. And, if you think about it, the current car is future-proof to a large degree. If you need more hp down the road, drop in a supercharger and call it a day. It will be several years before the leading edge of Ferraris, P-cars, Lambos, etc. are going much faster than a SC'd Gen III. If you need better handling, throw on some Penske's.

The current car is a tremendous foundation for building a world beating car on relatively little $$$. The big V10 is durable as hell and probably the best starting point of any of the current leading performance cars.

At least that's how I rationalized my '06 purchase.

Best of luck.

K

Kaya

Scot, AMEN! I have a brand new 2006 coupe and I had a Z06 that I sold to get the Viper. The New Z06 is above sticker and is going to increase in MSRP 4k for next year. I got a screaming deal on a 2006...in range of a new Z06.

So looking at value for the dollar...the Viper is within a tenth or so of the Z06 in the 1/4. It has better brakes. Its "WOW" factor, compared to the vette is OFF THE CHARTS. You could set a new Z06 on fire and not get as much attention as my new Blue Viper Coupe. Driving the thing is like being in a circus side show.

Will I really ever drive the car hard enough to regret not buying the Z06....maybe in the 1/4 mile, but just a few simple things will even up the performance against the Z06. Will I ever track the car fast enough to regret not getting a Z06...no!

The Vipers are an exceptional deal right now and anyone in the market would be silly to overlook this great deal. That's just my opinion.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a new Viper at a blowout price, now is your best chance to grab one. And, if you think about it, the current car is future-proof to a large degree. If you need more hp down the road, drop in a supercharger and call it a day. It will be several years before the leading edge of Ferraris, P-cars, Lambos, etc. are going much faster than a SC'd Gen III. If you need better handling, throw on some Penske's.

no way. these cars will be even cheaper when the new vipers come out.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Blue, I think that will depend on the price of the new car. If it's $100k or more (the current car is $90k MSRP), you may see some upside appreciation from current levels. If the price is lower than that, then yes, prices of used cars will likely drop. But, by then, most new cars will be gone. Thus, I still say, if you want a new Viper, this is likely the time to buy (some colors are already becoming hard to find on MSO and the '08 is not due for several months).

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find one that you like/gotta have and can afford then buy
it and enjoy.

Herc :usa: