Sport Cap Pad installation

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP!
Five years ago my former dealer installed the factory hardtop on my 94 RT/10. At the time he returned the sport cap pad to me and I put it away. Returning to the US after a four year stint in England and new twin boys I finally decided to take the hardtop off so I could run ******* for next week's Nor Cal VCA event. While I have the sport cap pad, I discovered the dealer did not return any of the attaching hardware for the pad. This leaves me with several questions:

1 - are the seven attaching bolts for the sport cap pad identical ie my new dealer parts dept (Stevens Creek Dodge) only shows one part number for the attaching bolts pad and seven bolt holes but I would think at least two are different for mounting the soft top. And if they're not the same anyone have part numbers for the different bolts?

2 - the 94 factory service manual on pp 23-16 and 23-17 discusses the 'sport cap close out moulding and clips'. The dealer shows this part to be discontinued! Is there a new sport cap pad kit for Gen II Vipers that retrofits to the older ones that take this into account?

Any quick insights ftom the collective braintrust is greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll ve driving down the coast next weekend with the hardtop on.
frown.gif

-Bob-

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by viperrwk on 10-08-2001 at 11:08 PM</font>

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse, 800-889-1893, I am sure that they can either give you the part number or send the bolts out to you.

If I remember right, you need two bolts not seven?

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve.

I think there are at least four bolts - based on the holes in the pad. Two to hold the pad onto the sport cap and two that the soft top attaches to. But I can't tell if these four are the same or not. Can someone send me a digital photo of the underside of their sport cap pad?

I'll also give BillP a call.

-Bob-

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
FYI:

Sport cap was a necessary removal item on gen 1 roadsters. It is the black vinyl pad attached to the sport bar (targa band) on an rt/10, and had to be removed when attaching the hardtop.

If I recall, it was held on by FOUR bolts, and through many posts on the site, can be found at any home depot (not sure of the size)

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bolt size is 8X1.25X40...I thought it was four too but Jon B told me I would need 5 bolts/washers. I am on my way to the hardware store now, I am not familiar with the 'sport cap close out moulding and clips' can you please clarify what this is and do I need it to attachthe pad to the sports bar?

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen -
After discussing this with Bob Woodhouse (who just called me to discuss the problem personally - thanks Bob!) you probably don't need the moulding to mount the soft top. You may not even need the pad (but the aesthetics of not having the pad with the top off is questionable). You will need the bolts you mentioned to mount the pad but there are also the two studs that the soft top ataches to which are different. Bob is getting me the studs and checking on the pad.

I'll send you an email with the pages from the service manual that discusses the pad,

-Bob-

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would ask Jon B if I were you. If you would have bought a V-mania H-top, you wouldn't need to remove the sport cap at all. I love that top now that I have it. Saves me a lot of hassels.

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw JonB's reply in another note - maybe he'll take pity on me and let me know about the studs and close out moulding (though Bob Woodhouse is researching it for me as well).

The top was one of the free ones from Chrysler for having attended the Monterey invitational. Hard to beat the free price tag!

-Bob-

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the studs that the soft top clips on to(although I wont use the soft top), and I just bought the bolts for the pad. The bolts fit. I know that the soft top will work with the pad in place but my hard top won't. I don't really care because I never used the hardtop anyways. Funny enough the previous owner never removed it. Aside from the single trim piece is there anything else that mounts with it to the sport cap?

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are supposedly two clips that go on each side of the sport cap pad with the close out moulding in place to give it a finished look. The factory used double sided tape to help secure these clips in place (probably anti-rattle as well) but again, probably not necessary to the function.

-Bob-

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Allen,

I'm not sure if I'm following you but you have to remove the sport pad and the studs when you put on the hardtop.... then bolt on the top with the four bolts, and fit and lock the front swivels.

When you switch to the soft top, you eliminate the four bolts (put them in a little baggie in you center console..or kiss 'em goodbye!), place the sport pad in position and lock into place with the threaded studs (do not overtighten as you can crack the composite of the sportpad backing). Then, the softop should slide right in the slots, and attach around the studs.