SRT-10 Coupe - guess the stats

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a bit of speculation that DC will announce the Street Coupe this Sept. so, for those ********* coupe owners, what would make you either trade-in or sell your GTS for the SRT-10 street coupe? Or would you just keep the GTS classic and go for this Uber Coupe as well?
Options:
1. Coupe plus 600+hp
2. just coupe body and the kick-butt brakes
3. the Comp Coupe wide-body + hp
etc...

What would do it for you - a couple of my viper buds would definitely trade in the GTS for a SRT-10 Street Coupe. So I would expect if DC offers it, it will sell big.

Comments?...Suggestions to DC?

2000 GTS Steel Grey, Balanger headers, Cat back Corsa, Random Tech metal Cats, Chrome Smooth tubes, 4 wheel Stoptech.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would make an effort to get the Coupe not as a replacement to my GTS but,an addition. The Coupe will have to be at least 600 hp. 550 hp wouldn't suffice at this time with the heat being turned up on the hp wars. 600 hp would destroy nearly every fo in it's path. We as Viper owners are use to being on top and it needs to stay that way. Second in not an option for us the Viper nation!!! I hope the rumors are true and we get a Coupe asap.

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will buy a coupe when it comes out, if it ever does, if not the srt-10 is fun, though the thought of losing my mellon when i roll the thing isnt all that confidence inspiring

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600 hp+, Comp Coupe wide-body, NOW I have to have the carbon fiber too!
The only way I would get rid of my GTS would be to replace it with another one, and TT it! :2tu:

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a bit of speculation that DC will announce the Street Coupe this Sept. so, for those ********* coupe owners, what would make you either trade-in or sell your GTS for the SRT-10 street coupe? Or would you just keep the GTS classic and go for this Uber Coupe as well?
Options:
1. Coupe plus 600+hp
2. just coupe body and the kick-butt brakes
3. the Comp Coupe wide-body + hp
etc...

What would do it for you - a couple of my viper buds would definitely trade in the GTS for a SRT-10 Street Coupe. So I would expect if DC offers it, it will sell big.

Comments?...Suggestions to DC?

2000 GTS Steel Grey, Balanger headers, Cat back Corsa, Random Tech metal Cats, Chrome Smooth tubes, 4 wheel Stoptech.

I hadn't heard that the announcement for the Coupe will come in September! I sure hope so! But where did you hear that?

OP
OP
V

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King GTS - just rumours - but not official.

BUT - timing would be too early - if I were DC I'd wait until the ZO6 was announced - the hammer it with a kick butt GTS - its a given that Viper must be top dog - it's 600hp or bust for the next SRT-10 GTS street coupe.

Sure hope it does happen.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF they are going to do a Coupe I would think VOI would be the best place to test the reaction. And isn't VOI in September????

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'll chime in once more on the Coupe issue - I've ALMOST given up on a street version of the coupe. I'd buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it was Trackable, If it looked similar to the "Concept Coupe" or Comp. Coupe
and a bump in power would be nice as well! (say 50 -100 hp)?

It's unfortunate that DC continues to state they won't build it, if it's their intention to drive potential buyers away, they are doing a good job of it!

Part of building sales, is building anticipation, I actually believe them - they aren't going to build it! So, I am now looking forward to the Ford GT, or
06 Z06.

GM and Ford know how to market to the masses, I like the limited and unique aspect of the Viper, but I would prefer to actually get some clear indication from DC - oh ya - they have repeatedly said they aren't going to build a street coupe!

This could be one reason this forum is so quite - no anticipation only mild speculation.

If production is an issue, why not build the Coupe only for the next three years? One model at a time, which would increase demand for the SRT/10.
By not building the street coupe, they have effectively cut off 50 % of their
Viper buyers? I did buy an SRT/10 even though I would have prefered a Coupe,
but that's only becuase I liked my GTS's and ACR so much.

Believe it or not, I would have been more interested in the SRT Ram if they had built a VIPER coupe! Since they haven't been building a coupe, I have bought a Ford Lightning and an H-2. If they had built a coupe to begin with, I would have bought that, and been very excited about the SRT Ram. If my interest has wained, I'm sure others have as well.

Perhaps my opinion doesn't count for much, but I don't think I'm alone on this.

A "Halo" car is supposed to be almost unatainable, yet desirable by almost everyone, that's why Ford advertised during the superbowl with the GT.

The SRT/10 doesn't inspire the average person to drop their jaw and go "WOW".
The GTS did, a "menacing" street coupe would in my opion!

The SRT is "nice", but the VIPER is supposed to be "mean or menacing" ! The
Coupe makes the differance!

All in my opinion of course! (what do I know?)

Anyway, those are my ramblings for what their worth?

2Charmed

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, my speculation is just that. There has been NO INDICATION that a coupe is in the works. I just think that if the rumor above is true that VOI would be a great place to show or at least talk about it.

2charmed, there are many Government reasons that will keep any PRODUCTION coupe from happening before 2006. I wish I could say more than that, but the only thing I know for sure it that MANY of the auto people I spoke to in Detroit (including Ford and GM) are very worried about future regulations. So I would bet that any new car will have to meet the new guidlines. Taking that reason into consideration, you may see why there is no point in coming out with a coupe right away that you might have to change drastically in the very near future.

If there is someone here who knows what these new government changes are I would love to hear why and when they are happening?

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have posted a few times on the Street Coupe threads.

I got excited a while back when I was told DC was announcing the Street Coupe. All that came out was a Chrysler name plate concept, 4ME or something. Nothing of real interest to me.

If the Street Coupe is built, it needs to be line for line of the Comp Coupe. If it differs DC will blow it. When I was told by someone that DC was announcing the street coupe, I was told is is an SRT-10 with a fixed in place hard top. What a bummer! It was explained as a copy of the Autoform slope back top that can be purchased for the SRT's, but it was not removable. Big disappointment when I heard that news.

The comp coupe has the look and the attitude to own the market! Why change it?

I still say a comp coupe plus headlights, plus a horn and it's perfect! I even love the carbon fiber look with the toggle switches and everything!

The first GTS' changed the whole rear end of the car, it was totally different than the RT. An SRT with a hardtop is just an SRT with a hardtop. (not knocking the SRT, I like that car too, and would own one in a heartbeat)

Just say no to an SRT-10 with a fixed hard top!

Currently FORD owns the style GOD award with the GT! IMO.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that future cars need to meet certain front-end height requirements that will cause the low look to possibly dissappear. This is so if we hit someone, they won't go through the windshield, but become something like bug splatter on the front end.

I would prefer to have the guts on the front end vs. the front seat, wouldn't you? But, if the regulations require such a change to design, I will be forced to a car that looks like the Dodge Magnum. Now, that thing would certainly keep splatter from my passenger seat!

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that future cars need to meet certain front-end height requirements that will cause the low look to possibly dissappear. This is so if we hit someone, they won't go through the windshield, but become something like bug splatter on the front end.

This is exactly why DC needs to act fast. Get the car built and on the street before the GOV sticks thier nose in any further! Build it and sell it BEFORE any new reg.'s come down!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Building a coupe for a year or two will not get the thumbs up. They need to build something that they call sell for a number of years.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Building a coupe for a year or two will not get the thumbs up. They need to build something that they call sell for a number of years.

This is one of the reasons I now believe they won't build it.

Yet Ford and GM have managed to produce supercars with in the apparent new
parameters?

2charmed

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford is planning a short run and they are already talking about another version with a different motor. GM hasn't built any super car I know of?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'll chime in once more on the Coupe issue - I've ALMOST given up on a street version of the coupe. I'd buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it was Trackable, If it looked similar to the "Concept Coupe" or Comp. Coupe
and a bump in power would be nice as well! (say 50 -100 hp)?

It's unfortunate that DC continues to state they won't build it, if it's their intention to drive potential buyers away, they are doing a good job of it!

Part of building sales, is building anticipation, I actually believe them - they aren't going to build it! So, I am now looking forward to the Ford GT, or
06 Z06.

GM and Ford know how to market to the masses, I like the limited and unique aspect of the Viper, but I would prefer to actually get some clear indication from DC - oh ya - they have repeatedly said they aren't going to build a street coupe!

This could be one reason this forum is so quite - no anticipation only mild speculation.

If production is an issue, why not build the Coupe only for the next three years? One model at a time, which would increase demand for the SRT/10.
By not building the street coupe, they have effectively cut off 50 % of their
Viper buyers? I did buy an SRT/10 even though I would have prefered a Coupe,
but that's only becuase I liked my GTS's and ACR so much.

Believe it or not, I would have been more interested in the SRT Ram if they had built a VIPER coupe! Since they haven't been building a coupe, I have bought a Ford Lightning and an H-2. If they had built a coupe to begin with, I would have bought that, and been very excited about the SRT Ram. If my interest has wained, I'm sure others have as well.

Perhaps my opinion doesn't count for much, but I don't think I'm alone on this.

A "Halo" car is supposed to be almost unatainable, yet desirable by almost everyone, that's why Ford advertised during the superbowl with the GT.

The SRT/10 doesn't inspire the average person to drop their jaw and go "WOW".
The GTS did, a "menacing" street coupe would in my opion!

The SRT is "nice", but the VIPER is supposed to be "mean or menacing" ! The
Coupe makes the differance!

All in my opinion of course! (what do I know?)

Anyway, those are my ramblings for what their worth?

2Charmed

Excellent post!

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess would be that that would use the 4ME as an example for Dodge's new revamped Vette eating American built super car !!!!!!

4 turbos 10 cylinders and no limits

Now that we have the brakes we need the power !!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charmed, I would think you represent MOST of the people when you say you want a coupe. Hell the only one they ever made was second to none, so why not try again. But I don't know if being quite about it means that they are not doing any planning to launch one? I have said for some time that for the small productions number the Vipe world works in that a coupe would most likely happen in the same way it did in the past, about 4 years after the open top version. With that in mind, we would be looking for a show version in the next year and then a production model around 2007. Add in the new laws (whatever they may be) and it actually makes a real timeline that makes some sense.

Mike, the ME 412 is a Chrysler Halo project, with no Dodge version in the plans. I would love to see a Viper version, just like you said, but that has less of a chance right now than a coupe would.

Hey, the only way we will ever see one is if you KEEP asking. PVO WANTS to always make things that go fast, so at least you have the right minds behind your wishes. Now you need all the other issues to line up right and you can have your wish granted, or at least we can hope.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I'd agree, most of us want a coupe. The GTS is the true classic (sorry you RT/10
guys and gals)

The only problem I see, is at every turn, the Coupe is being squashed by official and non-official sources.

I agree, if the time line keeps with history, the 2007 model year is about right, in fact, in my sig. there is a 2007 Coupe listed! I am even trying to will it into existence!

I have almost given up though, with no positive information to hang my hopes on and all sources with the exception of pure rummors, stating there will not be a coupe.

If you follow the "history" line of thinking, the original VIPER wasn't a true convertible?

So, what can we actually expect for 2007? The Z06 comes out in 2006, 2005 would be a great time to announce a Coupe - but shouldn't the "insiders" begin leaking something besides "it won't happen - don't waste you're time"?

Anyway, at least this thread has raised my hopes that a COOL COUPE will be coming :)

2Charmed

old96er

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll take mine with a factory super-charged V12, and the 15th anniversary package which includes special badges, 96 GTS paint, aluminum frame, carbon fiber body panels, 14" rotors with 6 piston calipers, and.....ahhh at least the dream is still alive.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, several friends of mine within the Viper community and with ties to Dodge have advised me that the coupe is going to be built and secondly we should get Vipermad to run a poll similar to the one on colors for those wanting to purchase a street SRT viper coupe. I bet the first two years of production would be sold out solely to current viper owners...my 02 cents.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

It seems to me that you know a lot more than you're letting on. I wish I could be a fly on your wall for a day. I know a ton of Viper guy's Steve. And the consensus of all the guy's I know is that DC is teasing us. And we're not liking it one bit. A lot of guy's are getting a really bad taste in their mouth because of the way they're handling it. Just like someone above stated, it seems like every time there's any kind of word about a Coupe, some official source comes out to say DC will never build it. The guy's I know have been loyal to Viper since the beginning. Putting their money where their mouth is Viper after Viper after Viper. The Ford GT is becoming more and more of a serious possibility for more and more guy's daily. The Gallardo more and more a serious possibility. The 06 ZO6 more and more a serious possibility. The Modena more and more a serious possibility. And the guy's I'm talking to aren't talking about buying both the GT and a Coupe (if one is ever made). For the mere fact that NO ONE will step up and give us ANYTHING! No word. No news. No possibilities. No nothing. This whole thing stinks. And it's leaving a lot of Viper guys pissed and ready to move on based on general principle alone.

For whatever that's worth right.... :rolleyes:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King,

You nailed it! When us cars nuts have nothing to look forward to, we look 'elsewhere'. And the more we look 'elsewhere', the better 'elsewhere' begins to look. I need to stay under $100,000, so the Porsche GT3 and the next generation Z06 look like good prospects. If the styling of the next gen. Z06 is 'on', it will be a winner. Probably around 500 HP and aluminum frame rails. It may tip the scales under 3,000 pounds. Sure, these are rumors, but I think it could become a reality. The exterior styling is the big issue. The C6 Vette has the potential to look great (the base model looks so-so), and GM claims the Z06 styling changes will be significant from the base model. Time will tell, and we will see in Detriot next year. 11 months to the unveiling.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You ALL know I WISH I could Blab about all the tid-bits I have heard or even been able to uncover, but if I do that it does damage to a relationship between the VCA and Dodge. If I knew 100% that they were building it, I would spill the beans, but I can't say that yet. I CAN tell you that for 2 years in a row, the Detroit show was supposed to be about other makes, but Chrysler has stollen both shows. In order to do that you have to make a very bold statement. A Viper will always fit as a very bold statement. So the question we are waiting to know is, will next years show be about a coupe??

Now, with the Z06 being shown at Detroit next year, wouldn't it be a big hit to GM's EGO if a new Faster version of Viper Showed up? I know if I was handeling things that I would love nothing more than to rain on GM's Party.

People want a coupe, people need a coupe, and Dodge needs to make sure Viper does not become a "second place citizen". How do you think they can cure the problem??

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT-10 Coupe

600 HP please
V10 please - large displacement preferred
Stripes, please
As close to the Comp Coupe as possible, understanding the limitations with front splitter, etc. But may still want a wing - as long as it's adjustable....
TRACK READY
Keep up the good work on the brakes / handling
Adjustable shocks, please
Need to be able to get 18" wheels to fit on the rear

That ought to do it.

Thanks.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Steve Ferguson:

How do you think they can cure the problem??

I would answer that by asking them to show a little loyalty to the myriad of GTS owners that have backed them throughout the years. And also to the myriad of current GTS owners as well. The Viper GTS sales were nothing short of stellar. I would ask that they give us all something to get excited about. Something to brag about. Give us a little buzz. Give us something to look forward to. Something that says to the world once and for all, that Viper is and always will be King of the Hill. In looks and performance. Because believe it or not looks do matter. In short......give us a Coupe. A Coupe that looks exactly like the Competition Coupe. Because IMHO the Competition Coupe is the best looking car on the planet! And I'd laugh in the face of anyone who said different. Period. Not kidding. If all that is too much to ask for then I'd only ask for something definitive from them. One way or another.

Thanks for the vine Steve.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS sales may have been 'stellar' at an early stage, but by my calendar, there were dealers with 30-40 sitting around waiting on a good family to adopt them near the end. The one dealer specifically I'm talking about didn't even have room at their dealership, so they kept 15-20 at an off-site lot a few miles away....collecting dust. This is not a put down of the car, just an observation. A surprising one for me as well.

Back to the topic, 2005 Detroit auto show, Z06 first, next day (after everyone starts buzzing about how great the Vette WAS) take the cover off the Viper coupe. I'd guess 550hp, based on history, and some carbon fiber stuff to lower the weight. I know this isn't substantially above the Z06 rumors, but we gotta remember the insurance industry will clamp down on our horsepower wars someday. We can't go insane, can we? until the mods start.....

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC, if you're listening:

What Janni said above + under $100K = send me wiring instructions.

Also, don't worry about SRT-10 convertible sales going down, I'll be keeping mine.