SRT-10 engine in BMW Z4 Coupe, but no space for oil filter

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I have swapped the SRT-10 engine from a 2004 RAM into BMW Z4.

Now there is not enough space for the oil filter.
Height is maximum 2,5 but the lowest oil filter I found is at 3.

What will be the best solution for oil filter?

1. Smaller oil filter

2. Relocate kit for oil filter like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQ08QO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_SC_dp_1

3. dry sump

Please send any information about dry sump and where to buy it.

Thank you for your help.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictures of your build!!!!! Did the intake clear the hood or did you have to put a bulge on it?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure seems like the remote oil filter is the best (and a common) choice. I haven't seen a pump in that kind of set-up like what you linked before. That doesn't seem like a good idea. It seems like unneeded added complication. Lots of remote oil filter options in Jegs and Summit Racing catalogs.

Start a new thread with some build pictures !

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing you swapped the Viper truck oil pan for the Viper car oil pan correct?
No, I have modified the truck oil pan.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did not know that the car oil pan is so different before.

Also it is difficult to get parts in Germany and I think there are several parts required to change to car oil pan.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curb weight on the 2012 manual model is 3263. For years before, 3252. The Viper engine and changes to make it work with the car have got to weigh more than a Viper. So please explain this mod. Wouldn't it have made more performance and dollar sense to have just bought a Viper or, in the alternative, heavily modded the ZR4 engine?

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curb weight on the 2012 manual model is 3263. For years before, 3252. The Viper engine and changes to make it work with the car have got to weigh more than a Viper. So please explain this mod. Wouldn't it have made more performance and dollar sense to have just bought a Viper or, in the alternative, heavily modded the ZR4 engine?

Sometimes people just want to do things that are fun and challenging, not practical. I applaud his efforts & besides, without this kind of stuff, yourtube would be a boring place :p

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comlete project makes no sense.
It is just for fun and to see what is possible.

Total weight will be less than 1300kg (2860 lbs) including safety cage, which will be installed this week.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is so cool, and I totally get it! I think it's an amazing undertaking and would love to see more pics as it progresses. For those that don't get it, it's what built this country, Ingenuity. In the car crazy world we call it "Hot Rodding". :headbang:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Now I get it. Please report back when it is done and tested.

The comlete project makes no sense.
It is just for fun and to see what is possible.

Total weight will be less than 1300kg (2860 lbs) including safety cage, which will be installed this week.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know more about the relocate kits?

The relocate kit I have here has very small holes.
I am afraid, that the holes could be too small to let enough oil through.
Also the car will be used on track too.

Best regards
Ike

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's been years since I used an oil filter relocate kit, but just see Summit or Jegs for a high performance one. The oil is pressurized through the filter so it may have smaller holes than you might expect. 1/2" NPT seems to be the most common size. This is one cool project!!!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever oil filter location kit you decide. make sure if flows properly since the #3 cylinder is suspect to oil starvation especially with any mods done to the engine. Good luck can not wait to see the finished product.

Bruce

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the car will be used on track too.

I'd highly suggest the car oil pan. The truck one wasn't designed with high G forces in mind. You can even get a swing arm for the oil pan which will help with oil pickup and prevent oil starvation. Contact Scharf's @ 1-800-338-4002 ask for Ryan or Paul. They are a forum vendor and can ship internationally

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here some pictures of the safety cage build:

Sorry, can upload one picture only.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sick. Are you gonna sit in the back seat? Otherwise, where would the pedals go? Awesome....more pix when you have time.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could someone please send me the oil pressure data at different rpm or a data logging of the oil pressure?

I need some informations to compare if everything is OK.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
which type of Oil should I use in the SRT-10 engine?

The original 0W40

or Castrol TWS 10W60 which we use in the BMW racing cars?

Here the latest pictures:

You must be registered for see images

and still a lot of space in front of the engine: