SRT or GTS? And depreciation?

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Weren't there some suspension changes from Gen1-2?? I remember driving a friend's GenII at a road racing event in Opa-Locka airport, and it felt so much more composed and responsive during cornering...

Or parhaps my '95 was just getting loose and old... ??

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote by RedGTS

Really??
You can get Gen2s for low 40s and high 30s. It took me 5 mins to find them.

You better spend a few more minutes because only the first one is a Gen. 2. :rolleyes:

Sorry but your wrong! 1996 is the start of the Gen 2 my friend. The introduction of the GTS started the 2nd Generation. :buttkick:

"You better spend a few more minutes" and click the link below for some great info on all three generations.

http://www.dodgeforum.com/models/Viper/history/second-generation/

Second Generation
The 1996 Viper officially began the second generation of the Viper, but the RT/10 looked very similar to the previous years' Vipers. The biggest news was the addition of a coupe, named the Viper GTS. There were new colors offered, such as White, and a new striping package with varying colors was offered. The three spoke aluminum rims were no longer offered, and in their place, a polished or painted 5 spoke 17" aluminum wheel was standard. While the Viper still came packed with the 8.0L, 6 speed manually shifted V10, the second generation boasted a gain of horsepower and torque, to 415 horsepower and 488 lb-ft of torque in the RT/10, and 450 horsepower in the GTS, thanks in part to the free flowing exhaust which exited through the rear of the car, as opposed to exiting by means of the side pipe exhaust. The GTS also featured an interesting roof line which had a "double bump" shape. This was done in order to affect aerodynamics as little as possible, but at the same time, it allows for a taller driver and passenger to fit in the car while wearing helmets. Other than the occasionally addition or deletion of color options, virtually nothing changed over the course of the run of the second generation Viper, from 1996-2002.

:buttkick:

[/QUOTE]

Dude, you've hit bottom and you're still digging. It doesn't matter what dodgeforum or dunceforum says, no one knowledgeable about Vipers considers a '96 RT/10 (which has a Gen. 1 engine and various other Gen. 1 components) a Gen. 2. Gen. 1.5 maybe. When you dig up ads for '96 RT/10's as evidence of what Gen. 2's can be had for, you're talking nonsense. This subject has been discussed on this board many times. Read and learn.

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=301405&Forum=UBB14&Words=%2796%20rt%2F10%20generation%202&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=301373&Search=true#Post301405

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not believe there has ever been an official statement regarding generations. Team Viper never referred to the 1996 GTS as the 2nd generation. We the owners did. And it was in reference to the GTS as mentioned above. The first 2nd generation RT/10 was in 1997. To all that I know the powertrain, interior and roll up windows defined it. The 1996 RT/10 did share the chassis refinements though.

When the SRT-10 was first discussed the Viper Team referred to it as "Chapter 2." A name that did not stick as the owners called it Gen III, which has now stuck and all are now calling it that. Nothing official, just generalized use of the term.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not believe there has ever been an official statement regarding generations. Team Viper never referred to the 1996 GTS as the 2nd generation. We the owners did. And it was in reference to the GTS as mentioned above. The first 2nd generation RT/10 was in 1997. To all that I know the powertrain, interior and roll up windows defined it. The 1996 RT/10 did share the chassis refinements though.

When the SRT-10 was first discussed the Viper Team referred to it as "Chapter 2." A name that did not stick as the owners called it Gen III, which has now stuck and all are now calling it that. Nothing official, just generalized use of the term.

I think you're right. The terms arise from owners and enthusiasts rather than from an official source. I've seen a magazine or two refer to the SRT as the second generation Viper, which is understandable, but they obviously aren't aware of the meaning that term has within the Viper community.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you or someone shed some light on the issue of the Srt not being popular amongst the Viper community?I really don't understand.I think it is a great car.
Looks great, runs great and handles great.Is there a large price difference from the GenII's that pushed people back?Most of the non Viper community actually seam to like the Srt more.They pick on the look of the GenI's and II's.They say they are cartoonish and look like a clown shoe.I personally like the Srt better.I just don't get it.

This is because when the Viper was introduced it was a raw drivers car with basically no top, no airbags, and no traction control. Once the SRT came out, it blew this idea away. Yes the GEN II was a greatly refined GEN I, but still it has an impratical top and a "drivers" ride. With the SRT being launched, I know there were many that thought the car lost it's styling and "VIPER" characteristics but I personally think that either way, they are both great cars. It is pretty neat that a person can choose a Viper depending on the driving style they want. If you want a drivers car that you want to be in the mood to drive, get a GEN I, if you want a easy, daily driver type vehicle that can be raw when you want it to be, get a GEN III, and if you want something in between, go for a GEN II.