Stereo... Why do they sound so BAD?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why not have a good stereo? Hey the car runs great, why sell short for a weak knee system? Why can't we have it all? LOOKS-SPEED-SOUND(exhaust and tunes)!

The speakers are just like the ones they used in the shadow!
In my 97' they had already seperated from the foam surrounds. Replace those first. If this isn't the cure go for the amp. these factory type amps have a ton of distortion. Personally, I prefer American made amps. Less distortion....your choice. I am going to put a sub in the back hatch of my GTS with its own amp.

Hey I like to have the windows down, even in FL, and I want to be able to turn up the tunes if I am in the mood. It is embarrassing to have a GEO stereo in such a dream machine!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the 61/2 cerwin vega components & cross overs in the front, bolt in with stock grills , the tweeter was an easy install too, The rears are 6 3/4 (GTS) not 6 1/2, the polks were a bolt in & can handle the power, what an upgrade for $250!

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a custom stereo system in it. Some people aren't into music and some are...that's what the decision is all about. You can live with crappy music and love your car or have some real sounds and love your car. It's only $$$.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking abount one of those JC Whitney 12V automobile coffee pots so I can have a cup in the staging lane. Fuzzy dice are neat. Does Woodhouse sell fender skirts?
Maybe a peppy stereo does make sense.
P.S. Is the radio that unit in the middle of the dash with all the buttons? How does it turn on?

Graph,

What you NEED is a set of hydraulic shocks on your front end so you can make the car bounce up and down as you cruuuuuise down the road. Do that plus a stereo with enough base output where people will feel it in their chests three blocks away and you'll have yourself something there.

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry,
I would say that 80% of the responses you are getting are completely worthless. Yeah, I enjoy the sound of the exhaust but I also love to crank up a little Dave Matthews or Tom Petty while driving. My kids call it "Viper" music. I don't feel that we should be driving around with a sub-par stock system just because of the extra horsepower.

After a LOT of thought and research, I installed a new Eclipse 3434 head unit last month. Without changing anything else, I improved the sound tremendously with minimal investment ($350). I was actually surprised with the stock speakers after the head unit change. I consulted with Bill Resides at Audio Visions, 1501 E Walnut Ave, Dalton, GA 30721 (706) 278-1271. Bill was incredible. He tweaked the crossovers for me in order to maximize the bass response for my stock speakers.

A cool bonus: The Eclipse unit can play mp3's. I can now download 100 songs on a CD.

My post from 8/24/04:

I just rolled into the garage with my first mod. I purchased the Eclipse 3434 head unit. WOW! What a difference. I never really realized how good the stock speakers would sound. Sure ,it's not a "superior" system until I replace the stock speakers and amp. Now I can hear the highs and lows better than ever. I can actually hear bass now. The sound is full and rich.

Replacing the head unit was most definately the best "bang" for the buck. I may or may not replace the speakers now. I'm definately not in any hurry. My goal was to at least take the stock system from poor to good.

You can also see the entire post:
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=437521&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=437521&Search=true#Post437521

Wayne has an excellent reply to the post that is worth reading.

Good Luck!