Tested: 2013 SRT Viper vs 2008 ACR Viper

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the Gen 4 came out, I was already at 675 rwhp in my Gen 3. Since the cars look and drive identical, so I just bought the Gen 4 hood.

Tony

Hmm,
I just finished reading about 10 pages of threads here that say exactly the opposite. The Gen 4 has more power, it makes that power at a different rpm range then the Gen 3, has better handling due to better geometry and has a better transmission. That would be the short version, did I leave anything out?

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm,
I just finished reading about 10 pages of threads here that say exactly the opposite. The Gen 4 has more power, it makes that power at a different rpm range then the Gen 3, has better handling due to better geometry and has a better transmission. That would be the short version, did I leave anything out?

Just to clarify, my Gen 3 had a supercharger on it already, when the Gen 4 came out. Hence the 675 hp at the wheels. That is something like 750+ hp crank.

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Hemotoxin, do you prefer to listen to AM or FM when driving ???
XM actually. First four memory stations are 37, regular metal; 38, classic metal; 39, hair metal; and 40, extra-strength metal. Occasionally 52, the house/trance/electro channel, but mostly metal.

Somebody asked me the other day "how about The 80s on 8?" I threw up on them.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's my car, I had headers, exhaust, mopar for those runs.... with the wing off and better weather I went 11.0 @ 132 MPH.... stock I did 11.6 @ 126 MPH....

Ray did 11.6 @ 129 in his stock 2008 coupe...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Viper-Timeslip-17292.html

Here is a video of a stock ACR running 129 mph trap speeds with the wing on. That is what the magazines also say the non-ACR Gen 4 and the Gen 5 trap. We weren't running much higher than those speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCNpaiptmQ

Tony

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
XM actually. First four memory stations are 37, regular metal; 38, classic metal; 39, hair metal; and 40, extra-strength metal. Occasionally 52, the house/trance/electro channel, but mostly metal.

Somebody asked me the other day "how about The 80s on 8?" I threw up on them.

Does XM have the FOOD channel ? I hope not , I will never lose this weight listening to that station...

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't imagine how anyone is at all surprised. More power, more torque, less weight, less drag, closer gearing. lower final drive... :dunno:

Oh you mean there is actually something other than "It has to have 750 hp or it's useless" applies? Who would have thought......

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony
Nice Video, thanks for posting. Always like real world test, and not this bench racing stuff. The gearing seem to help more that the 40HP, at the motor.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed on the gearing advantage. If you notice, the slower mph that we started at, the quicker the Gen 5 would pull away. Once we did the 60 mph rolls, the cars were pretty close side-by-side on the initial gear.

Schedules with the ZR1 owner didn't align this past weekend, and I'm out of town this weekend. We'll probably run them in a couple weeks. I also got some external microphones for the GoPros, so we'll get better audio this time around.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
none of these 'tests' ever need to be done. math solves it all before it even starts. sure some driver can **** it up, but we still know the potential.

Last edited:

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed on the gearing advantage. If you notice, the slower mph that we started at, the quicker the Gen 5 would pull away. Once we did the 60 mph rolls, the cars were pretty close side-by-side on the initial gear.

Schedules with the ZR1 owner didn't align this past weekend, and I'm out of town this weekend. We'll probably run them in a couple weeks. I also got some external microphones for the GoPros, so we'll get better audio this time around.

How about running aganist a Japanise sport bike instead ??

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
none of these 'tests' ever need to be done. math solves it all before it even starts. sure someone driver can **** it up, but we still know the potential.

If that were the case, then the cars wouldn't need to exist, either. We could just build mathematical models and renderings, and race them like on Forza.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that were the case, then the cars wouldn't need to exist, either. We could just build mathematical models and renderings, and race them like on Forza.
no, that doesn't make any sense. it's fun to drive fast cars. everyone knows the Gen 5 viper is faster in a straight line than an ACR without running them.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone questioned if it was worth pitting the 2 cars against each other... Everybody here loves a good race. It's just that based on the myriad of information and prior actual tests, it was an almost inevitable result... Had the ACR won, we would be having a lengthy discussion about driving skills. Do race on...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude