Tested: 2013 SRT Viper vs 2008 ACR Viper

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen4= Awesome Gen5=AwesomER Nearly every aspect of the Gen5 is an improvement over the Gen4. I can't see anything surprising or bad about that. The previous gen is better argument is so 1971.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your video Nine Ball and just ignore the negativity that surround all the time some posters :rolleyes:
Waiting for the next tests...might be cool to see the evolution starting with gen1...:headbang:

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be the typical mag bias or a ringer ZR1. Nine Ball have you had a chance to run a '13 ZR1 yet? After seeing these vids I don't see how a G5 could lose by a second to 150mph to a ZR1 unless it was all in the launch since the '13 ZR1 has the upgraded MPSC's. would be quite interesting to see a roll race with one from the same mph increments as your race with this ACR.

I used to shoot/write for a few automotive magazines. Lets just say that most of those testers roll up in their daily-driven Camrys. Some of the worst driving I've ever witnessed. People that magazine race are usually the first people I walk away from at a dinner party. If they start asking about 0-60, I know they aren't a ******** car guy.

I'm arranging another race with a 2013 Lamborghini Superleggera soon, and looking for a stock ZR1 to run. The problem is, most ZR1s in Houston are already modded, haha.

Tony

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha yeah it's going to be hard to find a bone stock ZR1. Can't wait to see the runs with the SL G. Hopefully a '13 GTR in the mix as well but those are usually modded too lol. That should be a Viper win from roll though. Keep us posted. Thx

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great informative video. There should no longer be any question as to which Gen is faster in a straight line. This and the other videos clearly show a dominant advantage over the G4. I just don't understand how it loses to the ZR1 to 150mph by 1 second in two different mag tests. The G4 tied the ZR1 to 150mph in multiple tests so how could the G5 lose?

To get to 150, the Gen 5 has to shift into 5th...that shift takes time, and puts you in overdrive, which isn't the best gear for pulling. The Gen 4 could stay in 4th gear to get to 150.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car and driver

2008 Dodge ViperCoupe
1/4 mile: 11.8 @ 128 MPH
0-60 MPH: 3.6
0-150 MPH: 16.4

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
1/4 mile: 11.7 @ 127 MPH
0-60 MPH: 3.6
0-150 MPH: 16.4

2009 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series 1/4 mile: 11.7 @ 126 MPH 0-60 MPH: 3.6 0-150 MPH: 17.9

Lamborghini Murciélago LP640 1/4 mile: 11.5 @ 127 MPH 0-60 MPH: 3.2 0-150 MPH: N/A

Viper SRT10 ACR 0-60 3.4 0-100 7.7 0-150 17.5 1/4 mile 11.8@126.

For kicks Aventador 0-60 2.6 0-100 5.8 0-150 14.0 1/4 10.2 @ 136

Whatever happened to this??

You must be registered for see images attach

2013 really looked like a world ****** then....

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grapes are pretty darned good unless of course they're sour... And Nine Ball and FLATOUT, (a.k.a., Captains Obvious :rolleyes:), thanks for the video. Both cars are awesome! I honestly can't understand the riff between Gen anything Viper owners. I did a 50 to 140 roll with a friend of mine who has a seriously built Firebird Friday night in my V and was pretty pleased with the results. That aside, I'm happy with my V even if the IV would have pulled it. Thanks again.

+1 lots of sour grapes up in here. Get over it already.....

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Nice job
I thought about running my ZR1 against my GTS but the ZR1 has been modded to about 700 hp
I still think the GTS would give it a good run it just seams to hook better :)
I'm going to start working on the GTS in a week or 2 maybe I can even them out :)

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This.

I also do not understand the animosity between Viper owners, related to generation. I had a Gen 3 when the Gen 4 came out, and there was very little feuding about the new model. We didn't see much complaining about how the new Gen 4 didn't really change all that much, except for the engine upgrade and 600 hp. Now we have a completely new Gen 5 car, and some people complain that the car hasn't changed enough. I'm sure we'd all love to see it at 700 hp, but maybe Team SRT has a few tricks up their sleeve for the upcoming ACR?

What these disputes do show, is that there is a lot of passion coming from owners for their respective vehicle generation. That is great. But, don't direct that energy towards others with different generation cars. It doesn't make any sense.

I like your mindset. Between this test and the documentation of picking up your Gen V, I find that I really enjoy your posts. Thanks & keep it up!

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the video and read all the commentary. I'll keep my 2009 ACR and the xx thousands of dollars it would take me to trade for a Gen V for now. If and when a Gen V ACR surfaces, I'll think about getting one of those.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball, curious why you went from Gen 3 to 5, skipping Gen 4.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball, curious why you went from Gen 3 to 5, skipping Gen 4.

When the Gen 4 came out, I was already at 675 rwhp in my Gen 3. Since the cars look and drive identical, so I just bought the Gen 4 hood. I like that the Gen 3 can be tuned. I am at 1,050 rwhp and still using the factory computer, I still have the Gen 3.

Tony

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice runs and good shifts from both drivers. It's good to see the gen5 beating up on its sibling.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure that the 2008 ACR Viper did not have his parking brake engaged by mistake when you guys ran the cars ?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure that the 2008 ACR Viper did not have his parking brake engaged by mistake when you guys ran the cars ?

Yes, he had the parking brake engaged, rear wing set to the highest downforce setting, full tank of 87 octane fuel, and two dead bodies in the back.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't imagine how anyone is at all surprised. More power, more torque, less weight, less drag, closer gearing. lower final drive... :dunno:

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, he had the parking brake engaged, rear wing set to the highest downforce setting, full tank of 87 octane fuel, and two dead bodies in the back.

Why would anyone keep two dead bodies in the back ? wouldn't that really smell up the cabin.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I meant to say that the 2013 Viper MUST have HAD its Parking Brake on during the run since I am sure that it can do better against the 2008.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Houston-area Gen 4 owners (base coupe, factory stock) are welcome to join me in a re-test. The ACR owner didn't feel his aero hurt him, we weren't going that fast. The ACR wing was fixed at its least aggressive setting for these runs, and these cars are capable of 170+ mph with the aero.

Tony, I'll join. But my 2010 went to Arrow and had forged internals plus ACR X lifters installed and Mopar PCM. May be similar to the 2013 in power but gearing is stock.

Not exactly the test you want but I would like to compare.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, why did you do all that to the car? Was there something wrong with it? Should be a close race, unless you lowered compression ratio. Stock exhaust?

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I Forgot to mention I installed Belanger headers and exhaust. The reason I had the engine work done was, long story short, due to bad cam sensor. After much analysis Star said to send motor to Arrow for tear down. So, while it was apart went with recommendation to upgrade internals. While engine was out I figured go ahead and get Belangers which led to Mopar PCM.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I Forgot to mention I installed Belanger headers and exhaust. The reason I had the engine work done was, long story short, due to bad cam sensor. After much analysis Star said to send motor to Arrow for tear down. So, while it was apart went with recommendation to upgrade internals. While engine was out I figured go ahead and get Belangers which led to Mopar PCM.

That combo should be close to 600 rwhp. Seems like a good run for a modded Z06, which I've already lost to :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth