The rest of the story...

Taig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five years ago I bought a brand new 2001 Viper GTS and sent it to John [******]--along with $142,500--to build what I hoped would be one hell of a Viper. Many of you will remember that fiasco. I won’t revisit any of that history here, not because I have any moral or legal compunctions restraining me from doing so but because I lost interest in fighting this fight quite a long time ago.

So why this post? Simple. To tell the rest of the story and more importantly to give credit to a couple of exceptional guys who took up the fight for me and who fought until the end without any expectation of a reward other than the feeling that comes from helping someone out. Also, since expressing that gratitude here wouldn’t make much sense without at least a brief conclusion to the story of my experiences with John [******], I need to make that happen. Along with the good, of course, there were a few other guys who deserve credit of a very different nature too, but they know who they are so we’ll just let that pile go unstepped-in.

Just to recap my story, I sent $142,500 and a brand new Viper to John [******] after reading Motor Trend’s gushing article on [******]’s Venom 800 in April 2001. It took three years to get my Viper back from [******] in a “dynoable,” if not “drivable” condition. In fact it ran just long enough to make a strong run on the dyno in Salt Lake City in September of 2003 (for which I was not present) before the first turbo blew 50 miles later. The car was also missing over $85,000 of parts and upgrades I’d paid for two years earlier: Brembos, Penske suspension, HREs, Quaife, etc. Without going into specifics, a legal “settlement” was reached which stipulated that I was to receive the missing parts over the course of the next several months with the promise that the car would be tuned to actually run.

Well, to make a very long story very, very short, I spent a total of $315,000 (the new Viper and [******]’s fee plus the attorney’s take of 33% on everything recovered from [******]--including the car itself--plus miscellaneous expenses) for a Viper made up of parts from at least two different cars that wouldn’t even start. I confess, at this point I simply gave up.

But that wasn’t the end of the story.

Most of you know a guy named Bill (aka MANA) who can frequently be found wherever there are exhaust fumes on the net. Most of you also know, or have heard about a tuner named Jason Heffner (8.75/168 MPH). Simply stated, if it wasn’t for the collaborative efforts of Bill and Jason, I still wouldn’t have a Viper that ran today.

I met Bill in 2002 not long after I realized things weren’t quite as they should be in Houston. After receiving an anonymous message on my cell phone urging me to “look into the forums and call [******] again about your car” I began delving into the Viper and other forums. After I’d read a few of Bill’s posts on the Corvette forum, I sent him an e-mail with my story. I didn’t expect anything, it just felt good to get it off my chest. It wasn’t like I wanted to talk to my wife about it yet, after all… Bill and I have been close friends ever since. Every single time progress was made in trying to get information about my car from [******], Bill was behind it. He was the reason I even got the car back three years later. Bill proved to be an exceptionally loyal friend who never gave up the fight, even long after I had. I owe him a hell of a lot and I won’t ever forget it.

Some months after I’d given up on the car altogether, I got a call from Jason Heffner. I’d heard of Heffner’s cars and Bill spoke highly of him but I didn’t know too much about him other than that. Jason told me Bill had talked to him about my Viper and he wondered if I would be willing to send the car out to him to work with. He didn’t talk about money, he just said maybe he could help with the car. I sent it to him (plug for Gary Almond here--Thanks Gary!) and assured Jason that he could have it as long as he wanted it since I’d had it for five years already without it running for more than a few hours.

Again, without going into the details of what he found under the hood, Jason worked and worked and worked. He called and updated me consistently every step of the way. In the end there was a lot of work that had to be done, parts to be replaced and/or modified (the second turbo was also blown) to make it all work but the day came when he called and told me the car was finished. He felt bad that it wasn’t perfect but he said it ran “pretty well” and that he’d done everything he could do. A week later, Gary Almond delivered it to me and I can honestly say it didn’t look like the car I’d sent him. Not only had he fixed the engine and turbo system and installed all braided SS lines instead of the rubber ones it had came back to me with but he’d added an AEM EMS, installed Penske suspension (one of the many things I never received from [******] despite the legal settlement) and had the whole car wet sanded because he felt the paint “just wasn’t quite right.” When I asked him what I owed him he just asked if I’d feel comfortable covering his cost for the AEM and the Penskes. He would not take money for anything else and insisted that he just wanted to help out.

That was six months ago now. The Viper runs like I imagined it would when I sent it to John [******] five years ago. To say I think Jason Heffner is an honorable man who went way beyond the call of duty to help out a guy he didn’t even know is an understatement. Hell, he went way beyond what anyone else even offered to do for me for substantial additional money. And his work--including that on a turbo system he can’t vouch for--is exceptional. Needless to say I have nothing but the highest praise for Jason Heffner.

I realize that if I had hung out on the forums instead of just trusting the car mags before my adventures with John [******] that I probably wouldn’t have the experiences I did. But hindsight is 20/20 and I’m not complaining. What I can’t let get swept under the rug, however, is the recognition and credit for the way Bill and Jason have fought in my corner, not because they had to or were paid to, but because that is just the way they are. I said in the beginning there were many players in this story; many who turned out to be self serving, deceptive, or even downright nasty, those who turned out to be genuinely interested and helpful, and a few who were extraordinary in giving their support and giving of their time and effort with no hope for reward or compensation other than my friendship.

In any event, that’s the rest of the story. I felt it was necessary for me to finally clear the air about what really happened and to give credit to those who worked to make things right for me--especially to Bill and Jason. I’m very grateful.

Taig Stewart

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! What a chronicle and what a world we live in. The 6:00 news would have only given us the bad information, thanks to Bill, Jason and yourself we were able to read some good news! I’m so sorry you had to go through what you did and it took so long to get your car back but if it wasn’t for that unfortunate situation we wouldn’t have learned what remarkable acquaintances we have in this Viper family we are all so blessed to share. KUDOS Bill and Jason. :2tu:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are happy with your Viper after being Robbed so badly. I can't imagine how disappointed you were with what happened. Like you, all I ever read about was what the Magazines printed, until I came here to the VCA. Thank God! :2tu:

Great Job by Bill and Jason for helping out.
I was lucky enough to discover Jason Heffner early in his Viper Tuning Career.
Everyone is learning tht Jason Heffner is "The Man"!
As Honest and upstanding as one could imagine and his work is Top Notch.

He has earned his due and will soon be getting it! :2tu:

Since I've gotten to know Jason over the last 4 years, this story doesn't surprise me as much as it will many here.

To Jason and all the other GREAT Viper Representatives! Thanks and Keep it up! :2tu: :usa:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
luckily there are a couple few really good viper techs and tuners out there. heffner being one of them obviously

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the new guy here for sure, but I've heard horror stories like this with other cars and other shops (on a smaller scale than your 6-digit fiasco). I'm glad yours had a happy ending. That's some seriously stand-up guys doing good stuff for the community and I hope they reap the Karmic rewards for their efforts.

On a side note, I'd love to see this post over on the alley. It's a different crowd over there (including Mr. H.)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with kcobean. There we might hear multiple sides of the story (not to say that this is not the only side). Here, unfortunately, there is limited freedom of expression. Heck I can type ****** here and it will stay but I cannot type [******]. Now which of those is worse?

But more importantly, unless you read into it, even this post does not warn potential suitors to [******]. Unless of course the asterisks have some sort of magic translation.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[******], [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******] [******]

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for for giving us "the rest of the story".

We can all do our part to send those guys some credit as well as some business. It's great to know who the good guys are.

thanks

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with kcobean. There we might hear multiple sides of the story (not to say that this is not the only side). Here, unfortunately, there is limited freedom of expression. Heck I can type ****** here and it will stay but I cannot type [******]. Now which of those is worse?
But more importantly, unless you read into it, even this post does not warn potential suitors to [******]. Unless of course the asterisks have some sort of magic translation.

Well, I think it would warn anybody who owns a Viper and has been here for more than a week. And heck, it's a horror story, $315,000? I feel for the guy. Why would you think it's not true? If it's NOT true then go get the facts and report back.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read that there are hitmen out there that charge less than 33% on 300k. One thinks witch is money well spent legal system or e legal system

***** to hear stuff like this.

vd..

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's time for the VCA to allow freedom of speech about [******]. If the suit is over, what's the issue?

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I think it would warn anybody who owns a Viper and has been here for more than a week. And heck, it's a horror story, I feel for the guy. Why would you think it's not true? If it's NOT true go get the facts and report back. If it's not true the guy should not be allowed to post it here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the voracity of this report at all. There are shops that choose to do business as described at all levels of the car enthusiast world (I've had my run-ins with a few of them). I just think it's interesting to hear how companies/individuals try and defend themselves against such reports. Mr. H (not Heffner)clearly has followers over in the alley, and I'd be interested to hear their remarks too, just from a "social engineering" standpoint.

Any prospective aftermarket performance shopper would be a fool not to take this thread to heart and do some serious homework before plunking down hard earned dollars in certain places.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I typed ******** on the search page and here is what came up.

Can someone explain to me why we can'type his real name. I cheked the posting rules forum and there is nothing specific about ******* ?

Luc.00GTS

[******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications blkwsilver 03/21/02 09:46 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications jkracer9 03/21/02 09:57 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 12:05 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications MW 03/22/02 01:58 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Gerald 03/22/02 07:54 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 09:46 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 10:11 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Mark Red GTS Cooper 03/22/02 10:30 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Anthony - 98 GTS 03/22/02 10:46 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 10:51 AM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications onerareviper 03/22/02 01:16 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Chuck 98 RT/10 03/22/02 02:44 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Mark Red GTS Cooper 03/22/02 03:00 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 03:35 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Gerald 03/22/02 03:53 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Sean Roe 03/22/02 04:05 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 04:07 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications onerareviper 03/22/02 04:09 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 04:44 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 05:05 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 05:16 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications GTS Bruce 03/22/02 05:33 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications **DONOTDELETE** 03/22/02 05:34 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Marc Lublin 03/22/02 05:40 PM
Re: [******] Has Customer Arrested Performance Modifications Marc Lublin 03/22/02 05:48 PM
Previous Main search page Next

Contact Us Viper Club of America

PS; I just realized that we have a vey neat translation feature on this web site:

From the seach page to this site,letters are translated as follow:

H = *
E = *
N = *
S = *
Y = *

G

grcforce327

I'm fairly new to the viper seen and this is the second incident I have heard of about concerning"YES*SEN*NEH".!The other person I talked to,had his car there and parts were taken off his car and going to other cars.Makes you wonder why he's still in business. :confused: :nono:

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story, and it really shows the quality of some people, good and bad. I know Jason and Gary personally, and I can tell you both are absolute top quality guys, as many of you already know. The irony is, who do you think is getting all the PR on this issue of MT? Doesn't seem right, and will probably lure some other unsuspecting buyers into the "trap".

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's beyond me how that guy is still in business, and still has his original kneecaps.