Thermostat question.

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The original stock 94 thermostat is stuck open. Do I put in a 180deg. or put back in the stock temperture? Also, pull the intake or do it on the car?
Thanks in advance.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
It will be a little bit of a pain, but I would do it without messing with the intake manifold (may want to check to make sure the manifold bolts are correctly torqued down as mine seemed a little loose.) When was the last time you changed your plug wires and plugs? - as this would be the ideal time to replace them also.

After removing the windshield wipers, remove the windshield cowl (be careful when wrenching as the windshield is right there.) Can't say for sure about your 94, but my 92.5 Viper had reverse torx head bolts holding the thermostat housing in place and I had to pick up the set of torx sockets at Sears ~ $20. Also worth picking up a spring hose clamp pliers to help when removing the spring-type hose clamps ~ $10 at Sears as well. Remove the air box from the passenger side as this will free up a lot of room and make the job easier (it's only 4 nuts.)

Manual says to dunk/wet the gaskets prior to installing and torqueing down - 28 N.m or 250 in. lbs..

My Viper never ran real hot, but I just did put in the 180 degree thermostat as I figure it can only help.

Good Luck!

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
Go with the 180. I just installed one in the summer. Roe Racing has one. Works great, car runs alot cooler

Rocket,
My 94 had reverse torx head bolts as well. Not alot of room to work with back there.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, but how does changing the thermostat help the car run cooler when the fan is ECM programmed to kick on at a certain temp that's designed with the factory stat in mind (probably 195). The temperature can't stay at either thermostatic temperature just because the water pump is pumping the coolant thru the radiator...it's got to have the fan blowing across the radiator to cool the coolant down! You'll need to get the ECM reprogammed for the 180 to work properly, I believe.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at certain speeds, say above 40 mph, the fan isn't doing anything anyway. The speed of the car is putting more air through the radiator than the fan can. I just changed mine last weekend, do what Rocket said, works out just fine! :2tu:

btw, go to parts store and get one for the dodge truck from super-stant for the 180. Cheaper than viper tax!!! About 40 bucks!!!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thermostat limits coolant to keep the engine at a stated minimum temperature.

The 190 or 180 rating is the minimum temperature that the engine will operate with that thermostat.

If, for some reason, the engine wants to run hotter than the thermostat temp, there is nothing that the thermostat can do about it.

If your engine always wants to run at 200 in the summer, a 180 thermostat isn't going to change that.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thermostat limits coolant to keep the engine at a stated minimum temperature.

The 190 or 180 rating is the minimum temperature that the engine will operate with that thermostat.

If, for some reason, the engine wants to run hotter than the thermostat temp, there is nothing that the thermostat can do about it.

If your engine always wants to run at 200 in the summer, a 180 thermostat isn't going to change that.

new radiator will tho.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW mine actually runs cooler then most.

Maybe it IS due to the vipair lmfao