Thermostats

Reaction score
Hi Barry. I guess I should ask why you want to change your thermostat to 180? A thermostat change alone will net you very little if it is cooler running temps you are looking for. Remember that you must remove the intake manifold in order to change the thermostat. (This can be a 3+ hour job) If overheating is a concern, I might suggest you consider a '98 cooling fan module upgrade and possibly a heavy duty 2 core aluminum radiator along with the thermostat. Yah it's more money, but the cooling is much improved when used all together. You might want to top the radiator off with two bottles of "water wetter" super coolant in addition to a 50/50 antifreeze mix. I haven't a clue what the current prices are for these components. I suggest you contact "The Parts Rack" and talk to Jon B. Hope this helps....(JD)

OP
OP
S

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Jim. In the past with my vettes and Grand Nationals seemed to run much better with 180 thermostats, even without any other modifications. Cooler water temp generally translates into better performance.Just starting to race my Viper for the first time so im not sure what everyone is doing for easy mods. ( i do have filters and straight tubes and am going to install a cat back anf thought the termostat might be a good thing. the car doesnt run any hotter than normal. thanks barry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32