Tint shop won't tint my Viper!

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tint shop won\'t tint my Viper!

Called a local shop today for a price quote. First, they tell me that it's illegal to tint the side windows, and then he goes to talk to the shop owner who tells him that they will not do any Vipers! [******]!? I asked why and he wouldn't give me a reason. Sure, I can try somewhere else but that's just weird. I guess it's better than him coming back and telling me it would cost $500. ;)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tint shop won\'t tint my Viper!

That is interesting. I have heard stories like that when they want to escape liability. In the long run it is better since you can only imagine the worse case scenerio there. Try a few other places. You should be able to find somewhere.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Every tinted viper I've seen has scratched the tint when the windows are raised and lowered.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine does the same thing, mostly on the passenger side. Something in the door leads to this but it still looks good. Only noticeable from up close and mostly from the inside.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a tire shop refuse to pull my tired off (2002 wheels) to patch a nail hole. I even asked before they took it back if they were OK doing it, it was 30 minutes later they changed their mind.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bottom line: if someone doesn't feel comfortable doing something on your car, you shouldn't feel comfortable letting them!

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel your pain. I had mine tinted in KS and got a freaking ticket in Schaumburg so I had to have it removed. If I recall, I did 20% back and sides for $200 cash with no warranty. Try this shop

Sunset Glass Tinting ask for Brad

(630) 971-1700

6817 Hobson Valley Dr # 111

Woodridge, IL 60517

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Without tint, my a/c would never keep up in so. Az. The tint does show a mark due to the design of the doors, but as stated above it is not bad and well worth it. If it's not illegial in your stste, go for it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

woodhouse had mine done before i picked it up cause pemberton thought it would look better and he was right.

they have NOT scratched yet in 3 years and 35k miles of me owning it.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whether a person says he can, or says he can’t. He right.

They HAVE TO use a heat gun to shape the tint to the back window of a GTS.
Or they just know Viper owners are a pain in the ares, and will not except any screw ups.

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Or they just know Viper owners are a pain in the ares, and will not except any screw ups.
How true this is! If he F'd up the tint on my car, he'd have a new ********

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

So true. They arent turning your money down just for the heck of it
So then you'd think after asking why they can't tint, they would have responded by saying" Sorry sir, I have not had any experience applying tint to Vipers and therefore, do not feel comfortable doing so. Here's the ###-### to Blah Blah Blah tint, they may be able to assist you." Right? Not just "Sorry we won't do it" Oh well, not trying to be difficult, I guess I just don't agree with the way they handled my questions. No big.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So then you'd think after asking why they can't tint, they would have responded by saying" Sorry sir, I have not had any experience applying tint to Vipers and therefore, do not feel comfortable doing so. Here's the ###-### to Blah Blah Blah tint, they may be able to assist you." Right? Not just "Sorry we won't do it" Oh well, not trying to be difficult, I guess I just don't agree with the way they handled my questions. No big.

I disagree. That's their pride and ego talking. Also a desire not to see your business go to the competitor. They just say they don't do it, all defensive-like. Weak, I agree.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So i'm about to get my windows tinted on my RT/10 whats this i'm hearing about scratching? Where does it scratch and what causes this? Anyway to prevent scratching?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Every tinted viper I've seen has scratched the tint when the windows are raised and lowered.
Mine doesn't.

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I disagree. That's their pride and ego talking. Also a desire not to see your business go to the competitor. They just say they don't do it, all defensive-like. Weak, I agree.

I agree that is weak. In the business world we call pointing to someone else, even if it is a competitor, selling value. Now, because of their response, this thread was started, jdoc7 will probably never use them again, and will probably tell others in his community about his bad experience.

If they would have been honest and given him a reason and other possible candidates, he would have been grateful and been willing to use their services in the future. That is value.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This issue has nothing to do with experience, etc.

The problem is that here in IL, tinting the side windows is simply ILLEGAL. I am sure that this is the true reason, and has nothing to do with wether or not the car is a viper either.

i had mine done last year by someone who is very local to both of us jeff, and who does tinting "on the side". no fear, i will get you hooked up, and your rear window will be properly done in one piece too. :2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine does,
I considered pulling the door panel off, fixing it, and then having the sides re-tinted. But that’s me?

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

mine doesnt scratch either. As far as not working on it, that probably means they had a problem with a Viper in the past. Could have been a bad job by the shop or an ass for a customer. The local Dodge dealer (with a Viper tech) wont work on a Viper unless you bought it from them because they have been sued by a couple Viper owners. Maybe their legit maybe their not, but it kinda screws everyone else. Also with the GTS we have those little dots around the edge of the rear glass that are still visable after tinting. Some owners are not happy with that, but theres no way around that.

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This issue has nothing to do with experience, etc.

The problem is that here in IL, tinting the side windows is simply ILLEGAL. I am sure that this is the true reason, and has nothing to do with wether or not the car is a viper either
John, I have to diasagree with you this time. I have called this same shop on other occasions asking for quotes for tinting on a previous Benz and my Evo and they gladly quoted me something like $150-$200 to do ALL the windows including the sides. They even re-iterated that it was illegal to do the sides but were willing to do the job those two times. Also, if they didn't want to tint the sides for legal reasons, why didn't they just offer to do just the rear...it's still revenue and good customer service for them. Lastly, the guy simply stated, "We don't do Vipers of any kind" All this leads me to believe that they think Viper owners are bastages or they botched a previous Viper tint job and won't do it again. In any case, I certainly won't take any vehicle there...ever, and will not refer anyone to them. Their loss really.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< Also, if they didn't want to tint the sides for legal reasons, why didn't they just offer to do just the rear... >>

You are right about this part jeff. you are also right that the rest doesnt make any sense.

i probably called all the places you called last year, and everyone told me they would do the back, but refused to do the sides because of IL law. i wanted the back done in one piece, and finally found someone that thought they could do that, so i went with them. i later talked to the installer during the install, who agreed to do the sides off-site.

<< "We don't do Vipers of any kind" >>

i just think you ran into a bunch of corvette guys. ;)

Reaction score

Not ALL cars will scratch...but they CAN. And, they very well might....it just might take longer. Without the frame around the window there are "pads" inside the door that the window glides/slides up and down on. It is just a matter of time before that leaves a mark. Some are lucky and possibly will never see a mark. I have a very slight mark left my a portion of the pad...driver side. NOTHING on passenger side (and I usually have BOTH down at the same time...do the driver side is not getting THAT much more use). :)

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"Real" Vipers don't have windows.... :)
Does that mean fake ones have more horsepower? :cool: (I can say this, I loved my old Gen I, but after 70k miles and a number of cross country trips with "no" windows, I'm happy to have the *option* of them :cool: ).

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys...try this to protect tinted side windows:

1. Spray a horizontal strip about 4" high across the side window (about in the middle) of Pledge furniture polish.

2. Use a folded, soft cotton towel and wipe the window back and forth, covering the entire window.

3. Rotate towel and continue until NO Pledge is visible.

The BENEFIT:

1. Little if any scratching from window useage.

2. May improve up/down action of windows.

3. Will prevent future hazing of tint.

4. Almost eliminates window "fogging".

5. Cuts way down on window dirt, finger prints, etc.

This is usually done just ONE time and of course, if it is a new tint job, make sure it is completely cured.

Good luck...and enjoy. :2tu:

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just got quoted $170 for 15% tint with lifetime warranty on my 2001 RT-10...any other Colorado folks have any better deals?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Guys...try this to protect tinted side windows:

1. Spray a horizontal strip about 4" high across the side window (about in the middle) of Pledge furniture polish.

2. Use a folded, soft cotton towel and wipe the window back and forth, covering the entire window.

3. Rotate towel and continue until NO Pledge is visible.

The BENEFIT:

1. Little if any scratching from window useage.

2. May improve up/down action of windows.

3. Will prevent future hazing of tint.

4. Almost eliminates window "fogging".

5. Cuts way down on window dirt, finger prints, etc.

This is usually done just ONE time and of course, if it is a new tint job, make sure it is completely cured.

Good luck...and enjoy. :2tu:

Thanks for the tip. Is this applied on the inside side of the window or the outside.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am trying to remove mine 1% tint as we speak and go for 35%tint. A bit dark at times...=)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235