Tire mounting advice needed

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's time to put on my new Michelins from Tirerack.com. Like most of us I am overly carefull about anybody working on my Viper. Can I take the rims off myself and truck them to the tire shop? Or do they need to be on the Viper so they can balance them on the car?

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I always remove the tires/wheels from the car myself and take them to the tire shop in our truck. This removes any chance of them damaging the car and enables them to fit me into their schedule better. I always work with the same guy at the shop (in our case the shop owner is the only one who does my tires) and wait while he does the work. I find that it helps to be there to answer any questions. I now use only stick on weights on the inside of the rim - I've had some problems with the crimp on ones being hit by my Porsche air deflectors that we use for track events. I also pay in cash and tip the guy doing the work.
They dynamically balance off of the car - I've never had any problems with this. My experience is that there is no need to balance on the car unless their is some other problems.
I then remount the tires/wheels myslef, torquing to 90 lb-ft in several increments. Again this prevents anyone from incorrectly using an impact gun on the wheels and damaging them.
I hope that this helps!!

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
JonB,
Please elaborate on what you mean by "Pay Attention" to the new tires if you switch models! (MXX-3 to Sports, etc) (Sorry if this is a dumb question but your meaning is not obvious to me.)
Thanks!
Gary

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, what JonB means is that these different tires have distinctly different handling characteristics. In fact, Michelin recommends not mixing them. So for someone used to a car's handling with XGTZ's they should be careful when they explore the limits with MXX3's mounted on the car...

To paraphrase JonB, the Tire Matters!!

I hope that this helps....

Reaction score
Jon maybe meant........the Pilot Sports(and XGTZs)are directional tires, and must be mounted to rotate in the direction of the arrow(on sidewall). The MXX3s are non-directional, and can be mounted either way. However, for appearance, check that all four tire sidewalls will match when mounted on car.

cgACR

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that for daily driving 29-29-29-29 is the way to go. This is what I run in mine. Hope this helps.