Tires. PS2, Cups or wait for the new (355 rear) P Zeros?

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New wheels on the way and need new rubber. Sounds like I can't go wrong with PS2s in 295/18 and 345/19. I don't put a lot of miles on the car and it is
not exactly Viper driving weather here in Utah so I was thinking of Cups for my occasional jaunt up the canyons or waiting for the new P zeros in 295/18
and 355/19. Anybody running Cups or doing a lot of street driving in their ACR have inputs on wear and overall driving impressions with that tire?

Herc

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P Zeros are crap, PS2s are nice all around tires that get good wear. PSC is the best perforamce tire of the lot, sticky as hell but wear quickly like 4,000 miles of "spirited driving" and are not a great rain tire. I'm pretty sure you can get the Michelin Super Sports in those sizes, although never driven on those I hear good things.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I got about 18000 out of my first set of PSC and 12000 out of my second. I'm useing Pilot sports supper sports now and is a good tire not as sticky but nice. If you are not driving in rain contitions buy the PSC will enjoy but will be ruffer ride. Good luck

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super Sports wear really well compared to PS2s but as stated not as sticky. I use the Super Sports now. I would not use Cups for street driving - miles per $ would **** and they would not be great in rain if you were to get caught in it. PS2s come in 295s but not the Super Sports. PS2s in that size are from a Porsche (rears I believe) and are not the same compound as the 345 "C1" rears. The C1 compound for the Viper is very sticky. Mixing compounds front and rear may produce unpredictable results, at least that is what a Viper engineer has told me.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I got about 18000 out of my first set of PSC and 12000 out of my second. I'm useing Pilot sports supper sports now and is a good tire not as sticky but nice. If you are not driving in rain contitions buy the PSC will enjoy but will be ruffer ride. Good luck

How in the hell did you get 18k and 12k out of a set of Cups? Straight, highway cruising only through the Everglades? I don't think I've ever heard of anywhere near that on Cups.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my car everyday in all driving conditions. The 12000 was because went on a nice drive up to VOI thru the Dragon and track. Alot of fun

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P Zeros are crap, PS2s are nice all around tires that get good wear. PSC is the best perforamce tire of the lot, sticky as hell but wear quickly like 4,000 miles of "spirited driving" and are not a great rain tire. I'm pretty sure you can get the Michelin Super Sports in those sizes, although never driven on those I hear good things.

+1. I got so fed up with the quality I was getting from Pirelli on my BMW that I switched over to PS2s. The difference you can feel while driving is amazing.

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had good luck with Pirellis but I am told 2 things by a trusted source. 1) Michelin refused to bid to make the tire for the Gen 5, only Pirelli chose to. 2) The Viper Pirelli tire is supposed to be better than the Michelin (I know, hard to believe).

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had good luck with Pirellis but I am told 2 things by a trusted source. 1) Michelin refused to bid to make the tire for the Gen 5, only Pirelli chose to. 2) The Viper Pirelli tire is supposed to be better than the Michelin (I know, hard to believe).

Yes, those are the p Zeros I'm talking about. It is supposed to be a Viper specific compound, at least that is what I have been reading. As far as the 295-30/18 PS2, anybody
running that with the 345-30/19 rears? I have read that the SS is not as good a tire and louder also, but with full Belanger I probably won't hear it anyway. I am kind of
looking for the ACR size up front.

Herc

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, those are the p Zeros I'm talking about. It is supposed to be a Viper specific compound, at least that is what I have been reading. As far as the 295-30/18 PS2, anybody
running that with the 345-30/19 rears? I have read that the SS is not as good a tire and louder also, but with full Belanger I probably won't hear it anyway. I am kind of
looking for the ACR size up front.

Herc

The 295 PS2 is not the Viper specific compound, it is off of a Porsche. Rear I think. It would not be as sticky as the C1 Viper specific 275.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New wheels on the way and need new rubber. Sounds like I can't go wrong with PS2s in 295/18 and 345/19. I don't put a lot of miles on the car and it is
not exactly Viper driving weather here in Utah so I was thinking of Cups for my occasional jaunt up the canyons or waiting for the new P zeros in 295/18
and 355/19. Anybody running Cups or doing a lot of street driving in their ACR have inputs on wear and overall driving impressions with that tire?

Herc

Regarding the new 355 rear tires, better check the Gen V discussion board first...lots of talk there on these tires, didn't do well up against the ZR1 running PSC tires.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PSCs are great for track, but for everyday driving and changing weather conditions, I would just get a new set of Pilot Super Sports. Excellent street tire and one of the key choices by drivers for the One Lap of America -- plus you will get a superior ride over any of the DOT Competion tires.

Check into Viper Parts of America or ask for Luke at the TireRack.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the Super Sports are the very best for the street. Just got a set for street use only and they rock. (Hoosiers for the track). Go with Tire Rack for quick shipping too. And ask for Luke !!

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Sounds like the PSC is a great track tire but not good in the rain and follows groves like my current run flats. I had the PS2 on my 09 and they tracked and road well, have
read a few negative things about the PSS as far as following groves and road noise. Also sounds like everybody is sticking with 275/35 up front on 18s. As far as the 295/30 18
being a Porsche rear tire, with their rear weight bias one would think they would be very sticky tires.

Herc

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Sounds like the PSC is a great track tire but not good in the rain and follows groves like my current run flats. I had the PS2 on my 09 and they tracked and road well, have
read a few negative things about the PSS as far as following groves and road noise. Also sounds like everybody is sticking with 275/35 up front on 18s. As far as the 295/30 18
being a Porsche rear tire, with their rear weight bias one would think they would be very sticky tires.

Herc

I just ordered two sets of PSSs for One Lap of America from Luke at TireRack. One set in 285/345 and one set in 275/345. He says the 285 and bigger tires would be challenging to mount on standards Viper rims (he says the ACR rims are a little wider, I did not know this). Anyway the 285/345 set will go on the ACR wheels and the 275/345 set on my regular Viper rims. I've used both the PS2s and the PSSs. The PSSs last longer, by a lot. I think the PSSs are better in the rain while the PS2s are faster in the dry. Given the nature of the One Lap and given the weather is unpredicatable, I went with the PSSs. Can't use R-rated tires like the PSCs for One Lap of America so they are out for me.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think the ACR rims are sized any different than any stock gen III wheel. Can someone confirm? 18x10 and 19x13.

I just ordered two sets of PSSs for One Lap of America from Luke at TireRack. One set in 285/345 and one set in 275/345. He says the 285 and bigger tires would be challenging to mount on standards Viper rims (he says the ACR rims are a little wider, I did not know this). Anyway the 285/345 set will go on the ACR wheels and the 275/345 set on my regular Viper rims. I've used both the PS2s and the PSSs. The PSSs last longer, by a lot. I think the PSSs are better in the rain while the PS2s are faster in the dry. Given the nature of the One Lap and given the weather is unpredicatable, I went with the PSSs. Can't use R-rated tires like the PSCs for One Lap of America so they are out for me.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 295's up front on 6 spokes as my street tires. Plenty of guys running 305's up stock rims at the track as well.

As for PSS coming out in 355 size, from what I have heard (I haven't seen actual dimensions), the 355 Corsa is actually not any wider than the 345 PS2's were. You se this a lot in how tires "sit" when mounted on a rim. A great example is the height of tires. You can get 35" off-road tires from 10 different manufacturers and they will have a minimum range in measured height from 34.5" to 35.5" tall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery