To Buy or Not to Buy?

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My dealer just called and told me my Black 2003 has been delivered. When I talked to the GM on the phone, he was telling me about some of the problems his customers have had with Vipers in the last few months. (He had orders for 22) For the first time in the whole process, I felt that he was cautioning me against buying the car. I know he can make more money off someone else, but he said he has not sold any of the others that were turned down for more than sticker. (My deal is $1k over invoice) Does this sound correct?

What is the likelihood this car will have the engine problem or is one of the cars that had to get the engine reworked? Is there a way the dealer can tell? What other known issues should I ask about when I go for my test drive tomorrow?

My 2000 GTS is paid in full, so I do not want to take on a payment only to have the car sit in the repair shop.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a fair deal to me. I now have an SRT, with the valve problem, but love the car. I sold my GTS and my RT to get the SRT and am very happy with the new car - will be even better when the valves are replaced! I have had no other problems at all and now have about 2000 miles on.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I can't say this for sure, but I am fairly positive that the cars that have been very recently delivered and are being delivered now will NOT have the valve problem. PVO held several cars at CAAP so that they would not be released with the now-known valve problem. I can't imagine those that are arriving now have the valve issue. It just would make no sense whatsoever.

As to the discouragement of buying the car and all the "problems" his customers have been having, I call BS on his part. They will sell for MSRP, which in your case is another $6,000 profit off of your car. The only acknowledged problem with the SRT is the valve issue, and I have yet to hear of a single car being sidelined for it other than repair. He is trying to get you to cough yours up to make more money on his end, at least that is my impression.

Buy the car at $1K over invoice, drive it for 1000 miles and then make your decision. Don't like it? Throw it on eBay and you will make your money back with a few pennies to spare from what I have seen recently. Oh, and if you are worried about the valve issue (I wouldn't be), then get the VIN and call Viper HQ to see if it is on the list. Betcha it isn't!

Chris

Reaction score
Love the SRT10. Given a choice between my GTS or SRT the GTS would go. My car has the intake valves missing a process step. It runs great even without 25 hp.

Cars shipped in April and later have no valve problem, 99%. If the car did have the bad valves and was repaired before delivery that is also great.

Bottom line, the dealer wants your car.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your dealer is BSing you. I'd like to hear what specific troubles your dealer is saying the SRT has. It seems he's got $$$$ on his mind.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers always have stories and pretend to be your buddy. Yes there are a few exceptions, but the majority are asshats only looking out for one person and one person only.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was delivered to the dealer (Tator's Dodge) about a month ago and the
valve issue had been taken care of at the factory. I doubt yours has the bad
valves in it and yes the dealer can tell if the car has been repaired already.

2charmed

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure your car would not have a valve issue if it is being delivered at this date. I have 2000 miles on my car and I would not go back to my GTS. I look forward and plan to buy the next generation coupe. I am sure it will rock!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32