tranny oil change

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tranny fluid brand for 2017 acr extreme, also where can I find the castrol synthrax diff. oil. Having a hard time finding a supply. any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
For STREET DRIVING, most stick with Mopar ATF+4 for the transmission.

IMPORTANT INFO on differential fluid from one my posts about a year ago:

"...INTERESTINGLY, this Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-140 has now disappeared from many Mercedes dealerships…and, from Castrol’s online product list.

The latest Castrol differential product for Mercedes AMG’s, BMW M series, Nissan GTR’s, and PRESUMABLY Gen V Vipers that supersedes the Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-140 is Castrol Transmax Limited Slip LL 75W-140. The container looks like the Syntrax…with the same cool spout on the 500ml bottles which sell for $26.75 apiece retail (tax included) here in Indy today. While it puzzles me that Castrol picked the name “Transmax” for a differential lubricant, the Castrol Tech Supporyt Help Line in the UK who I contacted by telephone TODAY assured me that the Transmax Limited Slip LL 75W-140 is an IMPROVED lube for our differentials.

IMPORTANT RECENT DISCOVERY by Viper Wizard Chuck Tator (Owner of Tator’s Garage):
While preparing to use some of the original MOPAR “SAE75W-140Gear and Axle Lubricant” in a Gen V Viper differential, Chuck noticed that this “fluid” had turned to “jelly”, with lumps, and a gritty precipitate was also noted. THIS IS MOST ALARMING as many (most ??) folks that I know generally squeeze these bottles by hand to fill the differentials directly without the potential mess of using a transfer pump. So, WHO would know the status of the fluid ?? Unfortunately, the fluid that Chuck had purchased from a dealership had no discernible date codes…so the actual age was/is unknown. Chuck got rid of the whole lot.

When doing a little lube research, I found that a general rule of thumb for these fluids is that they have about a 5 year shelf life. Fluid and lube EXPERT Tom Hayden was kind enough to give me a short tutorial on these types of products…noting that this is complex chemistry. Tom MAY get in on this thread in the near future…and if he does, please LISTEN to his advice and explanations. By the way, during my conversation with Castrol UK today, they indeed confirmed the 5 year shelf life of these products…noting that once the container has been opened and resealed, it must be used within 2 years or discarded.

WITH the background information updated above, I PERSONALLY would RECOMMEND that Gen V owners use only Castrol Transmax Limited Slip LL 75W-140 purchased at one’s local Mercedes dealership…paying strict attention to the date code on the bottle before purchase and use.

If you have a supply of the older Syntrax with date codes less than 5 years, I would only use it after decanting it (like a bottle of wine) into a clean, clear container to check for separation of the contents, thickening of the fluid, and/or precipitation of components .

If you have some of the discontinued MOPAR fluid, I would NOT USE IT and would merely discard it in the appropriate fashion."

RACERS: Let your experience be your guide.

On Feb.23, 2023 Dan Cragin posted on this site:
"...I typically use a gear oil in the transmission. Syntorque or BG Synchromesh. Rockland Gear makes a ATF type oil for the Transzilla
application that shifts well and has high load capacity.

ATF4 is now factory fill, it shifts great when cold and works well,
but does not last under hard use and does not have the shear or shock
load cushion of gear oil."

I hope you find this useful.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just under 4 quarts in the transmission.

3 of the 500 ml bottles of the Castrol Transmax Limited Slip LL 75W-140.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note that the proper fill amount for the TR-6060 is 3,210 mL:

You must be registered for see images attach

That comes out to just shy of 3.4 quarts.

If you fill the transmission until it starts pouring out of the fill hole (which is usually the standard procedure), you'll end up with a slight overfill.

Is it the end of the world if you do so? No, but the result might be that your transmission may puke a little oil out of the vent tube if you drive your car hard.

Just something to keep in mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BW56