Trasnmission noise

n-mo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So coming home today after approximately a 45 minute drive I stopped to talk to a neighbor. When I was through, taking off again and shifting from 1st to second gear I heard a "squeaking/high pitched/grinding" noise coming from the transmission. Not too loud, and not loud enough to cover up the sound of the motor, but just loud enough for me to hear it. Once the car got into gear, the noise was gone. As for the fluids, they were replaced this spring. Is this a noise I need to be concerned about? Or do you guys have this from time to time as well (when the trasnmission is hot)?

Thanks for your help!

Nate

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put your car in 4th on the highway at about 60mph, then hit the gas hard and see if it does it again.
To little info to really nail down the problem, but it could be that the clutch is slipping.
How many miles on the car and have you noticed your RPM climbing faster than your speed?

OP
OP
N

n-mo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Lethal GTS...

I took her for a spin this evening when I got home from work.. here is what I found (maybe these are normal sounds)

Note: it's more of a squeak than what I described it as before.

1. Absolutely NO slipping of the clutch, it will engage VERY readily
2. The noise can start as I am getting it into gear (mainly 3rd) and go away and then come back as I'm accelerating, or putting more load on the gear.
3. Tried the 4th gear at 60 thing, didn't really notice it, I did however hit 100 pretty quick.
4. It doesn't do it when I'm really getting on it through the gears, only when I'm easing my way up...

Any help would be appreciated, as I said before, maybe this is normal with this transmission. It's not really a loud noise, just enough for me to hear it.

Thanks in advance guys!

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have 40k miles on my GTS and think my clutch might be going out. It engages at the very end of the release and doesn't put much power to the road. There are several nights of drag racing on the car and it's N/A. Do our stock clutches only last 40k miles?

While I'm at it, anyone have a killer deal on a lightweight flywheel and nice clutch? I just fitted a NX wet nitrous system and need a solid clutch/flywheel before I tune it. Thanks,

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not seem normal to me. Mine does not do this. Can't hear it at all. Who knows though, maybe my hearing is going!

Grinding is not good with any transmission. I would have it checked out fairly quickly. As you say it is not the clutch, you have narrowed down the possibilities.

Anybody have a good tech in Illinois for this gentlemen?

OP
OP
N

n-mo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply PatentLaw,

To clarify however, and maybe (hopefully) this will be the clincher, there is no grind (I previously misspoke). It is simply a squeak, a similar sound would be if the breaks were a bit squeaky when stopping (but not that loud)...

-what a great board, someone should create one of these forums for questions about your wife/women in general; i.e. what do I do when she raises the left eyebrow shows a little teeth and points to the ground while favoring her left side? You know, stuff like that.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have smooth tubes and high flow filters (K&N's)right? At certain RPM's you will get a wistle from you NACA duct. This is completely normal. Sounds just like squeaky brakes, but if you play with the throttle once it starts just back out of it a bit and you will see you can control it. I play around with mine making this noise just by playing with the throttle.
It alows me to think I have a S/C LOL
Normal.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 40k miles on my GTS and think my clutch might be going out. It engages at the very end of the release and doesn't put much power to the road. There are several nights of drag racing on the car and it's N/A. Do our stock clutches only last 40k miles?

Not uncommon for a car thats been raced on the drag strip. Some don't even last that long on the strip. Not a big deal really, but it is a good time to swap out your flywheel.
Now I'm not a 1/4 mile expert like some here, but it's my understanding that if you are going to continue to drag the car then the heavier flywheel will give you a better launch.
The lighter flywheel is better suited to road racing.
Good luck!
TJ

OP
OP
N

n-mo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tracy, thank you!
Went for another "spirited" driving spin last night and really listened hard for this little noise... it is in fact the whine from my NACA duct when the car is sucking air at different rpm's. As you said, I was able to play with it and could make it go away or come back. (And yes, it sort of did make me feel like I had a supercharger). Thanks for your help, "Lethal GTS is the man"!