Valentine1 Reading - "J"

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine1 Reading - \"J\"

I could not find a mention on the Valentine1 site as to why each of my three radar detectors will occasionally go into respiratory arrest and all lights flash and a "J" appears in the display. Seconds later, all is well.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thank you.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Valentine1 Reading -

Maybe that is the laser warning on a newer unit? Well, at least it sounds that way, but when mine shows laser, it also goes into cardiac arrest, flashes all lights, and I get three horizontal lines in the display, not a J. Mine's about two years old.

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you using the newest software they just released? Let us know if you find out what it means.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Valentine1 Reading - \"J\"

This is the new super duper alert system that means a ticket is imminent. The J is an alert meaning JAM on the brakes, now!!! Okay, so I don't know either, as mine just does the typical wacko flashing of all lights.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had V1's since 1995 and have never seen the 'J' thing either, but wonder if it might have something to do with the new POP mode protection Valentine added a few months ago.

I just sent my older one in last week for an upgrade. Delivered cost for the new one was $195.50.

Steve

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

These are three factory fresh Valentine1's with latest software.

All three have done this. It is quite a caccaphony of noise and lights.

I assumed one would appreciate it if high; otherwise, it is simply strange.

I'll call Mike Valentine and ask what it is and report back.

Alice

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I combed their web site... what the heck is POP? And is it worth sending the detector in for an update?

JD

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine has done the exact same thing, and mine is also brand new. I'm quite interested to hear the explanation as well.

Cheers,
-Justyn

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph:

You do not have P.O.P. on your Valentine 1? Either update or discard it. It serves no function without P.O.P.

Then again, I have no clue as to what P.O.P. is except that ****** can only emulate it.

Alice

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph:

You do not have P.O.P. on your Valentine 1? Either update or discard it. It serves no function without P.O.P.

Then again, I have no clue as to what P.O.P. is except that ****** can only emulate it.

Alice

POP radar is a new type of radar I think. Most detectors do not pick it up, but if you can update the valentine so that it would, DO IT NOW!!

http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=9080

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I combed their web site... what the heck is POP? And is it worth sending the detector in for an update?

Here's the skinny below on POP from Mike Valentine's website. My newer V1 is almost 2 years old and is still current with the exception of the POP mode. Plugging in my serial number shows $55 for a new one. My older one is a version 7 and 6 months ago,before the POP mode was introduced, would have been $189 for an upgrade . I checked again last week and they are still at $189 for an upgrade including the new POP feature. I sprung for it. My version 8 V1 will remain UnPoPped for now.

Steve

From the website:

Local ticket writers have been bragging about their new radar; They say it nails detector users without warning.

Yes, their MPH Industries model BEE™ III, with its POP™ mode, gave them an advantage for a while. But now V1 has full-time POP Protection on two bands. Yet a problem remains. When operated in its POP mode, those radars also produce erroneous speed readings every time.

Moreover, we believe MPH Industries knows this feature is faulty. Why else would it advise, in the accompanying Operation and Service Manual, as follows:

“A note of caution: Information derived during the POP burst is non-evidential… Citations should not be issued based solely on information derived from the POP burst.”

In actual testing of a BEE III in our laboratory, we quickly learned why MPH Industries is covering itself in the fine print. The POP mode is fundamentally flawed. It consists of a lightning-quick radar burst, over and done with before a radar detector can pick up the signal. We consistently measured the POP duration at 67 milliseconds (that’s 0.067 second).

Unfortunately for accuracy, that burst is over the speed limit for the BEE III’s own internal components.

All traffic radar units rely on a Gunn oscillator to produce a stable, reference frequency for the microwave beam. This reference frequency must be held constant throughout the entire reading. Here’s how radar works: A microwave beam at the reference frequency is transmitted toward the target. The radar unit then compares the reference beam to a reflection of that same beam after it has bounced off a moving vehicle and returns to the radar unit. The difference between the reference frequency and the reflected frequency—known as the Doppler shift—gives the speed of the moving vehicle.

No Gunn oscillator we’ve ever tested can go from “off” to “on” and back “off” again in 67 milliseconds while simultaneously holding its frequency. This is basic physics. To be “on,” electrical current must flow through the oscillator. As the current begins flowing, it inevitably heats the component. While the device’s temperature is changing, so is its frequency. After a second or so under power, the device will reach its constant operating temperature and it will hold steady at its design frequency.

However, during the short cold start from ambient temperature to operating temperature, the device is literally out of control. Component makers don’t even bother to quantify the frequency change—called a start-up chirp in electronic jargon—because Gunn oscillators are designed as steady-state devices; they’re not intended for cold-start use.

What does this start-up chirp mean for ticket accuracy? The answer is really unknowable, because it’s influenced by a number of variables. For example, how far away is the target vehicle? The longer the distance, the greater the error. What’s the target speed? The slower it is, the larger the percent error. Which way is the target moving? The error adds to the speed of vehicles approaching the radar, and subtracts from vehicles heading away.

Clearly, MPH Industries has stepped into foul territory with the POP mode. In its zeal to defeat detector users, it has created a radar unit operating outside the accepted principles of engineering. Then it has tried to paper over its own technical recklessness by advising police operators, sotto voce in an obscure section of the manual, that they can’t use the BEE III’s key selling feature for its plainly intended purpose.

Question number one: Given the widespread ignoring of manuals, will anyone even read that warning?

Question number two: If they read it, will they heed it?

MPH Industries, in its quest for corporate profits, is playing an unconscionable game with its law-enforcement customers. Traffic radar is bought for one reason; it’s a ticket machine. Promising a feature, then telling the police after the sale not to use that feature for writing tickets, is pure bait-and-switch. Moreover, it dangles a temptation, a moral hazard, that threatens to corrupt enforcement. MPH Industries must be compelled to recall all BEE IIIs at once and disable the fundamentally faulty POP mode.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

According to Mike, "J" on the display means that the computer's logic has determined that there is a lot of incoming signals but they mean nothing.

The "J" was selected because it is the first letter of the work "junk."

Even engineers are "funny" or is that a redundant statement?

Now you know.

BrutusBuckeye

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hemotox:

My girlfriend just got me a Valentine One on Valentine's Day :p Anyways along with the owners manual for the Valentine One came an Addendum. The Addendum states that:

"V1 has a new feature. When the signal-identification system determines that a current warning is NOT, in fact, a radar threat, it notifies you with a "dee-dah-doo" sound and terminates the warning. At the same time, the letter "J" will flash briefly in the Bogey Counter."

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph:

It appears that the P.O.P. (II) is worth the upgrade price.

The "J" feature is essential. I am not certain how you drive your Viper without it.

Perhaps you live in some rural State?

Alice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang