Valrico, FL Accident

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Source: http://www.inautonews.com/1996-dodge-viper-crashed-in-florida

A 1996 Dodge Viper sports car has been recently crashed in Florida after the rear wheels of the vehicle broke loose at 40 mph during a dry Sunday afternoon.

We have always said here on inautonews.com that where ever there will be exotic cars there will also be exotic car crashes and the latest example of such an unfortunate incident is coming all the way from Florida, where a 1996 Dodge Viper has definitely seen better days. When writing about car crashes, we are usually used to hearing about drivers who use excessive speeds and then lose control of their rides, “parking” them in trees, houses or even lakes or oceans, but this isn’t the case here.
According to the guys at wreckedexotics.com, the 1996 Dodge Viper was being driven in Valrico, Florida, during a cold dry Sunday afternoon, and while passing a slower truck and doing about 40 mph, the rear wheels of the sports car broke loose and the vehicle eventually flipped. Our source is saying that no one was injured in this crash and, miraculously, the driver of the Viper actually walked away unharmed, without any scratches or bruises. Wish you’d had it serviced earlier now, don’t you?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's edit that news clip a little:

We have always said here on inautonews.com that where ever there will be exotic cars there will also be exotic car crashes and the latest example of such an unfortunate incident is coming all the way from Florida, where a 1996 Dodge Viper has definitely seen better days. When writing about car crashes, we are usually used to hearing about drivers who use excessive speeds and then lose control of their rides, “parking” them in trees, houses or even lakes or oceans, but this isn’t the case here.
According to the guys at wreckedexotics.com, the 1996 Dodge Viper was being driven in Valrico, Florida, during a cold dry Sunday afternoon
while driving about 40 mph, the driver floored the gas pedal to pass a slower truck, the rear wheels of the sports car broke loose and the vehicle eventually flipped. Our source is saying that no one was injured in this crash and, miraculously, the driver of the Viper actually walked away unharmed, without any scratches or bruises. Wish you’d had it serviced earlier now, don’t you?

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ugh... just threw up in my mouth a little looking at that...

Agree with CEJ's edit, I'd bet money that was it.

You gotta respect these cars, and your own limits, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO the knowledge that I've had my share of accidental brain-farts over the years and you have to guard against those too. Even the best of us have them, but at the wrong place and time they can come with a major cost... ever vigilant.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires have nothing to do with it. The new GT500 puts down 200 more HP on smaller tires and has no problem with traction.

Now if you want my honest opinion.....

Aliens.jpg

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires have nothing to do with it. The new GT500 puts down 200 more HP on smaller tires and has no problem with traction.

Honestly? So why is the GTS with 13" so bad? I mean, traction is a pretty straightforward equation.

Now if you mean control once traction is lost, that's a different story. Some cars are very predictable some not. You can say what you want about Corvette's but I love my C5 at the edge (on the track). Very predictable.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, tires could have everything to do with it. When I bought my GTS it had old Pilot Sports on it. It was a blast to drive doing power slides that once those tires were replaced, I could not do anymore because they hooked up.

Also, when making a move to go around another vehicle, that throws another control factor in the mix; you have to not hit the vehicle next to you. My power slides I did without other cars around, and initiated them from a straight line and not with a lane change.

BTW, isn't the Mustang a heavy pig? Making the factors of friction different, aka weight increases friction, which relates to traction?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apology in advance:

Would earth strapping his wheels have helped avoid this collision?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen that car around from time to time over the yeaqrs. Usually when I'm out running. I think it was mostly stock...from how it sounded at least. Never did meet up with the owner. Its been around a while in the area. Probably the same owner for many years unless he just sold it and the new owner got bit.

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually live 1 mile from valrico, and drive through there all the time. I have never seen this car before so I'm guessing he was from out of town. The traffic is a nightmare going through there as it is a main artery to Tampa. Wish him luck. People there drive like a$$ ho__s! They cut you off then flick you off if you blow the horn. Probably wasn't his fault.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R