VCA Member Shot By Deputy

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just from the quick read it sounds like they shot him before they told him to freeze and or put his weapon down. If he makes it out alive from the shooting it sounds like he'll be getting some more money out of the sheriff's dept. in addition to his lottery winnings

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swofford won a $60 million lottery jackpot two years ago and was sued by his ex-wife and her sister for child support.

W.T.F.?

I hope the guy recovers and gets a new lottery jackpot from the sherriff's dept!

Jay K.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the sheriff's were on his private property. If he had nothing to do with the alleged car thief the sheriff's were "chasing", he will likely have some claim. Pointing a shotgun at a cop is no small deal though (if it happened). Things are a little different in the south, I suppose, where them revenuers ain't welcome.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the f***!

So the police can come on your provate property and you can't question it?

...and shoot you four times

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you can question it all you like, just not with a shotgun pointed at them.

It is tragic though but unlikely he would win a lawsuit. Whether or not they found the suspect they were searching for they most likely had probable cause to search his premises. My guess all 4 officers searching his home will end up with the same story of events.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like more details on the story before I point fingers. Aiming a shotgun at the police and refusing to "back down" (as the story said) makes the shooting justifiable IMO (4 shots seems excessive though). But its probably a whole lot more to this story than has come out yet.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody want to argue the merits of how cops are out to protect us? Where's TVC, I need back up on this. COPS MAKE GOOD METER MAIDS! That is all...................

:evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with V10speed, I don't think we have enough info. to know what happened. The news reporters NEVER get it correct, but they do try to make it "juicy", for that sells papers. :curse:

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the News agencies never get it right. Robert was shot 4 times and he wasn't carrying a shotgun, but he was carrying a handgun. The incident happened when it was dark and the officer never identified himself, only ordered him to drop the gun with flashlight pointed in his face. This officer received a leave of absense not long ago for an altercation in a bar fight, where he did not identify himself as an officer. That is a HUGE Charlie Foxtrot in my book! No communication...

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any more information on his condition?

If he doesn't make it, we'll never know the whole story.
For all we know, Swofford was just on his property, perhaps he heard some commotion and went out to check it out ON HIS OWN PROPERTY which is his right.

Maybe he had his handgun on him and maybe he didn't, either way, it's his right. If he wasn't involved in the burglary (I'm sure he had to steal cars with $60 million!) why wouldn't he drop the gun if the police identified themselves and ordered him to do that?

What makes more sense is that they immediately assumed he was their guy and shot him. If he didn't have a gun on him, they put one there (you think I watch too many movies... I don't think so). 4 shots was to make sure he wouldn't live to talk about it but of course I pray for his recovery.

Keep us posted Larry.

HotWheelz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard a lady on the radio today that lives near this man that was shot. She said that after winning the lottery he continued to live in the same house, but that decision led to multiple burglaries. As a result he purchased a very high-tech security system. Which the officer triggered when he was in the his yard.

So what we have is an old man that had been the victim of multiple crimes and an officer on his private property without stating he was an officer...sounds like a receipt for disaster.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

BTW. Last I heard the man was in stable condition.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If an officer of the law was involved, well, then, I guess the man was at fault. Police are well trained, follow lawful procedures, respect the constitution, and have great attitudes about the use of force, and never abuse their position to lord it over anyone. Gotta side with the officer here.

-Joey-six-pack

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the f***!

So the police can come on your provate property and you can't question it?

...and shoot you four times

That doesn't like the issue.....

It's one thing to question it, it's another to point a shotgun at them refuse to back down.

***** for that guy, but pointing a gun at a cop and refusing to obey will result in someone getting shot.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Vic, you make it sound like ALL cops are perfect. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!! :bonker:

Ha ha, funny response! Can you say "satire"? There, I knew you could!

You see, "Joey-six-pack" thinks with his ass, and just accepts the official version of events. Get it now?

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert is in stable condition at the moment which is good news. Just to clarify, he was not toting a shotgun like Jed Clampet. From what I know, the police entered his property from the back, which possibly caught him off guard. If it were dark and the officer didn't identify himself, that would explain his behavior. Are 4 shots really necessary? Why risk life and limb when you have a capable dog on hand? There was a K-9 unit on the property.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the guy didn't identify himself as a police officer and shined a bright light, he deserved to get shot, uniform or not. AT the very least, he needs to have his gun and badge taken away for good and thrown in jail. (Note to cops here: ALWAYS ID yourselves, and NEVER point your flashlight from center mass.)

This is a good opportunity to think of a gameplan when you hear intruders outside. Here are a couple points... feel free to add to it.

1. Be proactive. Fences, alarms, and video cameras is a good start. Keep hedges away from the actual house, and install motion sensing lights that turn themselves off after a minute around the perimeter.
2. Have a "Safe" room your family can gather in. Usually the master bedroom. Lock the door, bunker behind the bed or heavy desk, armed with a firearm and a phone (have a cell phone as a standby).
3. It's better to call 911 then to go outside with a gun. Nothing outside is worth dying for.
4. If you excercise your right to go out, don't try to creep up on a prowler. To a cop, YOU look like an armed prowler. You're better off turning on all outside lights and making a ruckus. Announce you are armed and you will call the police. Most prowlers will be scared off from that. NEVER threaten that you will shoot an unseen intruder.

If, in Robert's case, the police shines a blinding light on you without identifying himself... that's a tough one (and completely their fault). Do you give up your position and HOPE the bastard behind the light is a cop? I'm sure the question probably paralyzed the poor guy before the pig plugged him 4 times. I would suggest to NOT make any sudden moves, lower (point to the ground), but not drop your firearm, and firmly ask the person to identify themselves. Remember to always maintain communication. They are just as scared as you are. Just staring blankly in a direction with a gun in your hand scares the h3ll outta cops. This is important. Let them know you need to know that they really are cops before submitting to them. If they eventually declare themselves as cops, ask to see identification, or to turn up their personal radios so you can at least hear they are cops. They DON'T WANT to turn off the lights, as it will give up an advantage, and make them vulnerable. Once you hear the radio, it's a good bet they are cops. If they don't have personal radios, it's a crapshoot, and you'll need to gamble that if they wanted you dead, they would have already done it. DON'T play "quickdraw". You will lose.

ALWAYS announce what you will do next: "OK... I think you are cops. I'm going to slowly place my pistol on the ground, then put my hands on top of (NOT behind) my head, and take 2 steps away from the weapon. At that time, please turn your lights away from my face so I can confirm you really are the police. When I can see you really are cops, I will turn my back to you, and kneel so you can approach safely."

After they search and maybe cuff you, you can start yelling at them. This is not to second guess Robert. He had every right to protect his property. Every situation is different. The more different situations you are prepared for, the better your chances are for surviving. Stay safe, people.

Hang in there Robert. :2tu:

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
"He had every right to protect his property" ????

What world are you living in? You can't use deadly force to protect property! I don't care what possession it is - unless someone's life is in jeopardy, you can't shoot.

Look at it from the officer's point of view. He was in pursuit of a criminal which led him onto private property. That IS legal to do. He is confronted by an armed man who refuses to lower his weapon. (officer identifying himself still unknown) He is forced to fire. Once the decision is made to fire, did you expect the officer to stop after one shot, or two....? Nope, I too would shoot until the threat stopped.

And why not send the dog?? Although somewhat expendable, it's not an instant fix to the situation. How many seconds would the shooter have to fire at officers before the dog got a bite? It comes down to reflex - police officers are trained to shoot those who threaten their lives - period.

It's too bad someone had to get shot - unfortunate circumstances in this case. You cop-haters need to get a grip!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In South Carolina you can use deadly force to protect yourself, ON or IN your property.
You misunderstood the intent of Warfangs statement.

Example: Someone comes up next to your car in a parking lot yelling FREEZE! Floor it then run them down. Your life is in danger. You are just defending yourself, not your car.

Now if someone yells "FREEZE, POLICE!" Stay very still.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What world are you living in? You can't use deadly force to protect property! I don't care what possession it is - unless someone's life is in jeopardy, you can't shoot.

Come back to me after being 10 feet from someone about to throw a brick through your Viper's windshield. :rolleyes:

You have every right, some would say a god-given right, to protect your property... just not with deadly force. In many states, you have a legal right to do so, although anytime you have a firearm in your hands, you absolutely need to think clearer: "Do I really want to kill someone over that TV set he's carrying off my property?". But if a pig screws up and puts inocent lives in danger by not identifying himself, he doesn't deserve the badge he wears, and I could care less what happens to him. It's hard enough for good cops to do their jobs without the dumb ones justifying for every mistake.

Remember folks... the courts have said over and over again that COPS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY... only the public in general. They are ONLY there to take the report after your wife is ***** and your kids are shot. So keep armed, make good gameplans, and use good judgement. It is your moral responsibility as a gun owner... a responsibility our trigger happy pig in question didn't bother to excercise.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Look at it from the officer's point of view. He was in pursuit of a criminal which led him onto private property. That IS legal to do. He is confronted by an armed man who refuses to lower his weapon. (officer identifying himself still unknown) He is forced to fire. Once the decision is made to fire, did you expect the officer to stop after one shot, or two....? Nope, I too would shoot until the threat stopped.

And why not send the dog?? Although somewhat expendable, it's not an instant fix to the situation. How many seconds would the shooter have to fire at officers before the dog got a bite? It comes down to reflex - police officers are trained to shoot those who threaten their lives - period.

It's too bad someone had to get shot - unfortunate circumstances in this case. You cop-haters need to get a grip!

Let's make a clear distiction between the land of the fruits and nut and the heartland of America. On the wrong coast............ I mean west coast :D , they don't believe in having the ability to own guns or to have the right to protect yourself. In the rest of the US, like Alabama for example, I can walk around town with a weapon in the open, completely legal. If I want a concealed weapons permit and have no federal convictions, I can have a concealed gun permit for $20 :2tu: All this for personal protection. Our rights are still in place here in the bible belt :nana: :nana:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4