Vec 2 problem? or something else?

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a VEC 2 in my 96 GTS. Occassionally, it makes the car go flat, like a limp mode. I have my Zero card (stock) program in Sometimes when I start the car after storage it runs flat and will miss. Recently, at the Ohio Zone event it did the same thing while drag racing, the next morning it was fine. then did it again in the AutoX next day. Would this be a program problem with the VEC or something else? Anyone else experience this. I usually just swipe the card again and it works normal. The performance events at the Zone was the first time it repeated the problem the second day.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same thing happened to me once. tator called it PFM (pure F'ing magic) and told me not to sweat it. but heck with him on that

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just removed a VEC II on my 1997 GTS and put and SCT tune on the car. When was running the VEC II the car was having a problem (experienced repeatedly at Mid-Ohio) when the car was WOT in 3rd or 4th gear. The car would be accelerating then in would "stumble". I guess you might say go "flat" for a second then accelerate again. I presently do not know if taking the VEC II off has fixed the problem or not.

Personally, I don't really think it is the VEC since they appear to be a proven piece of equipment.
I think it was just a poor tune that the previous owner had in the VEC II.
Since applying the SCT tune from a reliable Viper tuner the car is more satisfying to drive with better throttle response and smoother operation.
I credit the tune and the tuner NOT the SCT.

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I had this EXACT problem with my VEC2 on my Gen3 for the past couple weeks... I'm still a Viper noob, so I don't know if the Gen2 is installed the same... Forgive me if I'm wrong!

The car would sometimes throw the CEL with a CKP/CMP code, sometimes not, but it would stumble HARD under WOT and 80% OT, and for a couple mornings it would run really rough for the first 30-45 seconds... I decided to go in fully armed, so I picked up a new Cam sensor, Crank Sensor, and Fuel Filter ('03 with 55K miles, probably has the stock filter, and I heard it is a BEAST to change). I called Sean Roe just to get his perspective on the VEC2 and in 5 minutes, he told me exactly what I was looking for. The VEC2 installation requires intercepting the CKP sensor. Before I started mucking with sensor replacement, I looked over the loom and found the connectors for the CKP sensor. I have used far better connectors in my old car stereos... these were in awful shape. I pulled the wires apart and cleaned them, and the car has been 100% ever since. I feel like a tool for not checking that before, but I have a fresh cam/crank sensor when I need it, and I have the fuel filter set aside for a nice winter project.

Sean told me how easy it was to bypass the CKP sensor and how to bypass the VEC2. It is really just plug and play. Definitely found that unplugging the CKP wire while the engine is running will kill it in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps, it may be the same problem... If not, maybe this will help someone else.

-mb

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I need to check my connections as well. VEC 2 has been on the car for many years.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently, my VEC-II started to fault when the unit would heat-up under the hood. During hard acceleration, the unit would just dump so much fuel into the car my AFR would dive to 9.0 with the car blowing black smoke and knocking bad. I would have to immediately do a "key off" reset as I was rolling down the road (real safe and fun) and re-start the car. All would be fine for awhile once I did that. I did use some contact cleaner on the circuit boards inside the VEC (not hard to take apart) per Sean's recommendation...but haven't driven it since I did that. I'm also in the process of doing a SCT tune as well to get away from the VEC.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine feels like it drops some cylinders, sounds flat and misses if you put a load on the engine.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every once in a while when I start my car from sitting over night or a few days, my drivers side bank floods like a ****. My AFR guage pins at 10.0:1 and drives like crap. It only comes out of it if I restart the car. (TT Gen1 with VEC3 mounted in glove box) Hasn't happened enough to concern me, but it's still annoying.