VEC2 to Laptop

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The serial connection on the Vec was already wired into the master port via pin 2,3,4. After loading the Vec software onto the laptop, I hook the serial to USB cable from the Vec to the laptop. Now I can't pick up a conncection. I've tried COM1 through COM5 and nothing picks up. I don't have a card reader but have installed every driver I can find on the CD.

What am I doing wrong to get a direct connection with the VEC???

Thanks,
Steve

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need to figure out which com port the USB to Serial converter is on. go start-->settings-->control panels-->System-->hardware-->device manager and then look at the ports. your USB to Serial should show up w/ a com port #. change it if it is over the #10.

good luck!

JD

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To help a little...the ports on the outside: 2 USB, 1 printer, and 1 9pin serial

I'm trying to go serial(from Vec) to USB

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm watching the outcome on this since next week I'll be in the same situation. Tuning software in the mail and new laptop awaiting...

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like your USB-to-Serial converter isn't being recognized. when you plug it in, does the computer beep or act like it sees it? if not, that's part of the problem. you may need to install the software for the USB-to-Serial converter...

But this is connectivity-101. find a technical friend to come over and help. or if you get frustrated, call geek squad. Or if in NJ, there is this place called GEM Enterprises that i've used. owner is a viper guy so he is quite helpful.

JD

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not comp illeterate...thats why this is frustrating:dunno:

When the USB plugs in, it is recognized but then prompts for the software...but then it picks nothing up off the cd...so then its not recognized:mad:

Where can I find the software??

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...I'm kicking myself...the cd was between the cardboard packaging for the cable. Now thats taken care of...next is the encryption code??? I guess I need to call Sean for that?

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't beat the customer support of Roe! I have the encryption code and finally ready to go

Thanks for the help Joseph