Vette guy getting a Viper (what to look for)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a few vehicles right now all are between 96-99 GTS one is an ACR which I am reall leaning towards. Can you guys tell me what to look for in these model years. Are the HP ratings any different? All I know for sure is that they have the forged pistons and from what I have seen the 98 and 99 are the preffered model year of most. Also when did ABS begin? I saw an ad that had a 98 or so with ABS and I thought they didnt put ABS on the viper till after 99

By the way I'm keeping my vette (427 TT) but want to try both styles of American Muscle (Stangs arent built for racing with curves)

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much different an ACR is from a reg GTS? Im sure it's worth the extra cheese but want to know what exactly is better

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue, read the year by year changes and info in the Viper Registy section above.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 in my opinion is the best year for the viper. Large cam, 18" wheels, power mirrors, ect...

Im completely biased too :)

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the 97 B/W are the best Vipers!! (Hey that's original)

Seriously though my car dynoed 430 HP and 505 TQ to the wheels, bone stock except K&N's!!! Since then I have added tubes, and bellanger exhaust. The older cars with forged internals lay down some power.

ACR's have stiffer springs, 5 point harness, and smooth tubes plus filters. They were rated as having 10 more HP. The reality is that a well kept 97-99 Gen II should put up solid dyno numbers. ACR's are basically more prepped for the track, which I think is great. And they also have a BBS type wheel that is light.

I hope this helps. 99 model year has a dimpled dash, instead of the smooth dash like a 97. I'm pretty sure ABS started in 99. Personally, I think the best years are between 97-99. Untill the Gen 4 comes out, we will see.

That is my opinion and I'ma stickinz to it!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR = better shocks, 1 Piece BBS wheels, 10hp more (rated), Racing harness (5 point), side stickers, different air intake (contributing to the 10 hp). Air Conditioning-Stereo delete-Fog lamp delete. Could get the Air and Stereo added back in if you paid extra. All black leather interior.

01 and later did not have a recall on the frame. Previous models were recalled due to an alleged structural problem. Many cars already have had the recall done.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The textured dash started in '98 as well, mine has it. The 10 extra HP was for the smooth tubes and filters, usually the first mod every Viper owner does.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a used Viper
Here is a general list of questions I wanted to get answered, some of which were dealer-specific (at the bottom). It does not have year-specific questions, for example, for the 98 whether it has the upgraded fan. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though. Hopefully this can be of help to others.

Used Viper Questions:
General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?
20. Doors close well (no drooping / sagging-bad hinges)

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)
3. Delivery

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are other differences (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII
ABS added in 2001
Forged pistons deleted in 2000
Lumpy cam deleted in 2000

1. What dealer was the Viper originally or last purchased from?
2. What is the current mileage?
3. Is it still under factory warranty? (what was the "in service" date?) Extended warranty?
4. Is the original window sticker available?
5. Do you have any of the original sales documentation?
6. What type of maintenance and / or repairs have been done to the car? (Records?)
7. Who performed / performs the repairs / maintenance?
8. When was the last service performed and what did it entail?
9. Does it have the stock radio?
10. Is there ANY curb rash on ANY of the wheels?
11. Has the car been driven in the rain? (cleanliness of the underside and wheel wells)
12. Are there equal gaps at the bottom sides of the hood, where the hood sides meet the top of the rocker panel? (just behind the front wheels) Pictures?
13. Are there equal gaps at the front "leading edge" sides of the hood where it meets the front bumper? (outermost front edge, towards the rear of the headlights) Pictures?
14. Are there ANY scrapes to the front spoiler? (under the car, black lip spoiler)
15. Are there ANY scrapes to the front fascia? (body colored front end, underneath)
16. Under the front of the car, have the leading or front portion of the front frame rails been scraped / bottomed out?
17. Are there any scratches, dents, scrapes to the inside door jambs (black painted areas)?
18. Are there any scrapes, dings, chips, etc to the rocker panel sides OR their undersides?
19. Does the A/C blow cold?
20. Do all switches and accessories operate properly?
21. Are there any fine cracks or surface spider-webbing cracks in / on the hood?
22. Will the hood stay up on its own?
23. Are the side bolsters of the seats (drivers in particular) showing any wear?
24. Do the doors close cleanly and flush and open without "dropping down" / sagging when opening? (sign of weak hinges)
25. Is the Viper garage kept?
26. Why are you selling?
27. What is your age?
28. What major city are you near?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the ride. ACR has stiffer suspension and the Viper is already much stiffer than your Vete. My 02 practically washboards going over railroad tracks and it isn't an ACR. ACRs don't all have air conditioning which could be a deal breaker. These cars are ovens. If you have wonderfuly smooth roads wherever you drive it won't matter as much though.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the ride. ACR has stiffer suspension and the Viper is already much stiffer than your Vete. My 02 practically washboards going over railroad tracks and it isn't an ACR. ACRs don't all have air conditioning which could be a deal breaker. These cars are ovens. If you have wonderfuly smooth roads wherever you drive it won't matter as much though.

This is the most important post here:
Air conditioning is a must
ACR rides like a brick - buy a regular GTS and put penske or moton shocks on it - you will save money and get a better ride - performance will be equal

Do you intend putting the car on the track? If so you want the ABS - I thought it was first available in 2001. It works - and is trouble free, unlike the ABS on the new retro mustangs

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do want to track it but I also want the forged pistons. There-in lies the dillema. Are they that hard to track without ABS. I have done quite a few track days and one in a 944 porsche which I'm not sure had ABS or not but did fine.

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without ABS ,it is very controllable, especially if you got used to threshhold (of lockup) Breaking which anyone with track experience like you probably already know.

Go for the 99, I am prejudiced too.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR will ride like a brick.....if that is way you want it set up. If you don't want it that way, you can change it. Suspension is adjustable....and that is a major advantage.

It is why the shocks are soooo expensive. You can fine tune them.

Very very few ACR's came without the air conditioning reinstallation comfort package. Really not a deal breaker.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to track the car might I humbly suggest brake air deflectors,gates for the oil pan and the ACR oil filter adaptor. Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte