Viper Defanged per Mopar Muscle Magazine

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the latest Mopar Muscle magazine, August 2006 in the mail. It has an article on pg 109 " With the Viper Defanged, This Mammoth Wields Tusks." It is referring to the new ZO6 defanging the Viper It talks about a big bore long stroke 392 Hemi with 600 HP that may find it way between the fenders of a SRT-8 Viper in 2008 or 2009. As bad as I would hate to see a V8 Viper, I guess the upside is it would have 600 HP and my 96 B/W V10 GTS would be even more desirable.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way, just [******] speculation, it's pretty clear the Viper is defined by having a V10 and that won't change.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemi heads in a V-10!! Christ, it is hard enough changing 10 plugs, I can't EVEN imagine changing 20! :eek: Pure speculation at this point. We should all just say that nobody knows for sure what the 08 Viper will have in store for us and we should move on.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A V8 Viper would shoot the value of the V10's threw the roof.

Don't think I'd trade down to a V8 no matter what the HP.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a dumb question. I don't really know much about engines and what not but here it goes. I've been lead to believe that large displacement engines naturally have a lower redline because of their rotating mass. Since there's a lower redline, to hold a gear you must adjust the gear ratio's accordingly. One of the biggest complaints is the 3:07 ratio which is used IMHO to compensate for the low redline (stretch it out). Gas mileage is an excuse in this car since we pay the guzzler tax anyway. I would never give up my V-10 but I was just wondering if were shooting ourselves in the foot by wanting more displacement. I know that torque is what we want, but obviously it's who gets the the finish line first that counts and the Z06, along with small displacement V-12 exotics have no problem with that. They have more room to play with gearing like making 5th gear their 1:1 or having no overdrive gear which is why their gas mileage *****. Just a thought.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a dumb question. I don't really know much about engines and what not but here it goes. I've been lead to believe that large displacement engines naturally have a lower redline because of their rotating mass. Since there's a lower redline, to hold a gear you must adjust the gear ratio's accordingly. One of the biggest complaints is the 3:07 ratio which is used IMHO to compensate for the low redline (stretch it out). Gas mileage is an excuse in this car since we pay the guzzler tax anyway. I would never give up my V-10 but I was just wondering if were shooting ourselves in the foot by wanting more displacement. I know that torque is what we want, but obviously it's who gets the the finish line first that counts and the Z06, along with small displacement V-12 exotics have no problem with that. They have more room to play with gearing like making 5th gear their 1:1 or having no overdrive gear which is why their gas mileage *****. Just a thought.

I think getting to the finish line first... while desirable, is not as important as the overall driving experience. I get a thrill just gunning it from 50-100, then letting off. I could care less if there was anyone around me trying to cross a finish line. Besides... someone will always make a faster-to-finish-line car, but they will rarely be able to duplicate the experience of driving a Viper.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big V10 got to the finish line first for many years before the little motor cars finally caught up.

There is a reason all classes have a displacement limit.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think instead of displacement limit they should re wright the rule and call it the no big V10s. Funny how history repeats itself. This reminds me of the early 70s when NASCAR and NHRA made displacement rules banning the Hemi from competition in there respective events. Because the Chevys were being eat up by the Hemi's at the track. And to give credit where credit is due the Ford Boss 9 was banned as well.They were putting the whup on the on the Chevy's as well. Gotta love the racing sanctioning groups.