Viper newbie - 2001 GTS (Sapphire Blue/Silver Metallic)

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks, thought I'd say howdy before I started asking too many questions. I've been into high performance vehicles for two decades, but this is my first experience with a Viper.

I just picked up a 2001 GTS with 2,350 miles on it. I run a business brokering/selling old musclecars, and I figured the Viper would draw in some additional attention to that.

Okay, that's what I told the wife - The real reason is that it just looks (and is) a bad-to-the-bone car. I'll put some pics up at my website as soon as I get the car home. I need to clear some extra room in the garage first.

Here's a look at the car in the ad that got my attention. http://premiercars.com/Inventory/170/dodge-p2891 It was all about the mileage and the color combo to me. I'll admit it, I make investment cars like this live a good portion of their lives covered in my garage. But sunny days, I'm there!

Mike M

(Okay, now can I start asking NOOB type Viper questions. I know, SEARCH!)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats a really clean one you got there-Good choice!

Hmmm, you got less miles than mine! I'm at 35,000. Only thing that broke (after the water pump) is the driver's door outside pushbutton. Been a good car up to this point....

Congrats! Enjoy....

TooEvil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful car! Everytime I see one (including mine) I keep hearing Ludacris in my head screaming "Move *****, get out the way, get out the way".

Mine is but a mere '96, but only sporting 21k miles. Impressed that someone didn't take yours out more!

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Updated the location in my profile - Missed that one the first time through! I lived in Pleasanton, California the past 13 years, and recently relocated my family here to Springfield, MO.

Pleasanton is a big exotic car place, since most people there had money. I would typically see a handful of Vipers downtown mixing it up with the Porsche and Ferrari guys. I was usually driving something like my '68 GTO Convertible. (Pics of the GTO can be found at www.mohotcars.com for those of you that like the old stuff) Go to "Vehicle Collection", then "All".

I don't see many (any?) Vipers in Springfield, so I thought I'd put one on the streets :) Awesome cars, and I finally found one that caused me to pull out the wallet. Even my wife was shocked that I didn't buy another Corvette. Like I told her, "We're moving up now baby!"

Mike M

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Only thing better then a Sapphire/silver GTS is a Sapphire/Silver GTS ACR!!

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do respect those ACR cars, but it wouldn't be necessary for me. My cars spend more time as garage/trailer queens than they do anything else. I like to keep them new!

Mike M

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And being in the "car business" you get to write the car off as a business asset and fully depreciate it. If this is your start up year you can take the entire write off as a section 179 in the first year. If you don't want to put the asset at risk you can do an "equipment lease" to you business but keep the ownership in your name. I'm bored today, though I'd throw this out. Anyone else deduct your Viper for business use???

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
418, exactly! I will be leasing the car to my business, as it is better for liability reasons -plus- the tax implications on expensive non-SUV vehicles are favorable to lease vs buy now that the depreciation schedule (non 179) isn't as good as it used to be.

I knew I wasn't the only one that knew all that :)

Mike M

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we should be starting the Sapphire Blue club here as most of the congrats have been from those owners. Now THAT is passion for the blue cars that the slow red ones never have. Another one turned to the dark side!!!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Midwest Muscle:

and you probably saw it when the light was ever so perfect from the side. "Is it black?, no ITS BLUE!" You were hooked.

Just try to keep it clean now.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike,

Great choice! :2tu: I just bought my first Viper and will be picking it up this week. Sapphire Blue w/Silver stripes, however I chose the ACR package. Well I don't want to hijack your post but it's difficult passing the time until I take delivery.

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear you - I don't have mine home yet either. It will take me a good week or two to clear space in the garage, so if I want to see the GTS I drive to the dealer's showroom. I'm itching to get it home.

The car does look almost black, especially inside buildings. But when it is outside in the sun - Wow! I took it for a drive yesterday, but didn't really get on it much. Next time for sure :)

Mike M