Viper Production Quick List

BlueNNC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For fun I put together a Production table that shows production by Year, by Generation, and Percent of sales for each Year and Generation.

https://vipertruckregistry.com/wordpress1/viper-production/

Thanks for the production listing of the Vipers. Do you know how many coupes vs convertibles were built for each model year? Also, I thought the 1996 GTS Coupe was a Gen II version vehicle. Can you elaborate on this model since this is the one I own? Thanks.

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Always enjoy looking over the numbers, etc that you put together Jeff. You are definitely the resource for all things regarding Viper production.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the production listing of the Vipers. Do you know how many coupes vs convertibles were built for each model year? Also, I thought the 1996 GTS Coupe was a Gen II version vehicle. Can you elaborate on this model since this is the one I own? Thanks.

@BlueNNC

Do you know how many coupes vs convertibles were built for each model year? Yes, however, I've not done that breakdown, I do have the data to do it. I'll put that on my list of things to do

Can you elaborate on this model since this is the one I own? Specifically, what information are you looking to learn?

Richard S

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder how many Vipers are no more? How many have been totaled? How many have been so heavily modified and are now impossible to restore to original condition?

With such low production numbers to start with, this information, which is probably impossible/very difficult to get, has a bearing on the future value of the cars.

It is commonly believed that MANY Vipers have been totaled.. some, in the very first day of ownership! Prior to the early 90s... people were not used to hi-perf cars with such tremendous amounts of low rpm torque. I remember hearing of a new owner pulling out of the dealership in his brand new Viper, spinning it out and crashing the car hard into a guard rail.

I think it would be interesting to hear all the stories of "How I almost wrecked my Viper". I know we ALL have had a close call (or two). I know I have.

Last edited:

matt dillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder how many Vipers are no more? How many have been totaled? How many have been so heavily modified and are now impossible to restore to original condition?

With such low production numbers to start with, this information, which is probably impossible/very difficult to get, has a bearing on the future value of the cars.

It is commonly believed that MANY Vipers have been totaled.. some, in the very first day of ownership! Prior to the early 90s... people were not used to hi-perf cars with such tremendous amounts of low rpm torque. I remember hearing of a new owner pulling out of the dealership in his brand new Viper, spinning it out and crashing the car hard into a guard rail.

I think it would be interesting to hear all the stories of "How I almost wrecked my Viper". I know we ALL have had a close call (or two). I know I have.

I Agree 100% percent, also thanks for all the info Jeff! Great Stuff to know in the Viper World

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a man was test driving a viper at our local dealer and he punched it. Wrapped it around a telephone pole. Another man bought a viper for his kids graduation and he in his friend were driving on a gravel road, lost control hit a fence and pole. The pole had a transformer on it and it fell down and killed his passenger friend. Bummer stories. I didn't know when I bought the viper that they put the original tires on. They were about 13 years old. Went to the 1/8th mile track and spun out on 2nd gear. Fortunately I was able to not hit the left guard rail by getting the centrifugal force to sift but had the back tail light crack because it touched the other guard rail on the other cars side. Slid down the track for at least 100 feet. No traction. After that I went to Skip Barbers driving school and learn a lot about driving the car at viper organized track experiences.

Is it true that almost 50% of the 93 vipers were wrecked in the first year?

Richard S

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll share one of my close calls. In my 98 GTS. It was about 45 degrees out as I was driving along an 8-lane surface road. Spotted a modified Supra with a wing up ahead and came up behind him. Traffic was moving along about 50 mph when I decided to pass him on the right side. Down shifted to 2nd, blew past him, and when I went to hit 3rd gear.. I thought I'd rev it up and dump the clutch to make the rear of the car triumphantly squat down. Big mistake! My GTS immediately turned 90 degrees to the left, cut across the Supra's lane about 50 ft in front of him.. heading perpendicular across all 3 lanes towards the median guard rail!!

I still don't know how I saved it but I managed to straighten the car back up, heading in the direction of traffic on the inner most lane next to the guard rail. But it wasn't over yet. I was probably still going well over 80 mph when I straightened it up and to my horror was barreling down on a civilian - 4 car lengths ahead going about 50 mph. I slammed on the brakes and BARELY managed to not rear end him. Other than a mildly flat-spotted front tire.. I and my Viper were unscathed.

My personal moral to this story: Over the years.. every time I have had a "close call" (or an accident), whether on a sport bike, dirt bike, race boat, jet ski, 4-wheeler, even a tractor... I was SHOWING OFF. My days on crotch rockets are well behind me. I'm lucky to be alive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should start of list of “almost” totaled Viper’s lol

BlueNNC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@BlueNNC

Do you know how many coupes vs convertibles were built for each model year? Yes, however, I've not done that breakdown, I do have the data to do it. I'll put that on my list of things to do

Can you elaborate on this model since this is the one I own? Specifically, what information are you looking to learn?
I was surprised that the 1996 GTS Coupe was listed as a Gen I Viper as I was always under the impression from information that I had seen in the past that the '96 GTS was a Gen II series Viper. I can't put my hands on this information but I know this model has some unique differences in the design and parts compared to earlier convertible models.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I was surprised that the 1996 GTS Coupe was listed as a Gen I Viper as I was always under the impression from information that I had seen in the past that the '96 GTS was a Gen II series Viper. I can't put my hands on this information but I know this model has some unique differences in the design and parts compared to earlier convertible models.

I could have it wrong....

If I do, I’ll fix it.

besides, you all are the best proof readers in the world

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
This is probably why my data is wrong.(it is the wiki so)

Although the 1996 model year is the beginning of the second generation, in the Viper community, the 1996 model of the RT/10 is sometimes referred to as "Generation 1.5" since it saw the carryover of many first-generation parts during the model year while transitioning to second-generation parts. The roadster relocated the exposed side exhaust pipesto a single muffler at the rear exiting via two large central tailpipes during the middle of the model year, which reduced back pressure, and therefore increased the power to 415 hp (309 kW; 421 PS). Torque would also increase by 23 lb⋅ft (31 N⋅m) to 488 lb⋅ft (662 N⋅m). A removable hardtop was now available along with a sliding glass window. Some steel suspension components were replaced by aluminum, resulting in a 60 lb (27 kg) weight reduction.[10]

Later in the 1996 model year, Dodge introduced the Viper GTS, a new coupé version of the Viper RT/10. Dubbed the “double bubble”, the roof featured slightly raised sections that looked like bubbles to accommodate the usage of helmets and taking design cues from the Shelby Daytona designed by Pete Brock.[11] More than 90% of the GTS was new in comparison to the RT/10 despite similar looks. The GTS would come with the same 7,990 cc (8.0 L; 487.6 cu in) V10 but power would be increased to 450 hp (336 kW; 456 PS) at 5,200 rpm and 490 lb⋅ft (664 N⋅m) of torque at 3,700 rpm.[12] The 1996 GTS would be the first Viper to be equipped with airbags and also included air conditioning, power windows and power door locks as standard equipment.[13] The Viper GTS would be chosen as the pace car for the 1996 Indianapolis 500.[14]

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
This has been updated to include the Gen I.5 breakout. 1996 GTS is considered a Gen II while the 1996 RT/10 is considered a Gen I because it saw the carryover of many Gen I parts during the model year while transitioning to Gen II parts. As Always, we appreciate the knowledge that comes from those that review and comment on our posts.

https://vipertruckregistry.com/wordpress1/viper-production/

BlueNNC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate your detailed explanation of the '96 GTS Coupe. I remember when I had it serviced at the dealership many years back there was discrepancies about the size of the oil pan and how many quarts of oil were to be used when changing oil. I think there was even a swap out of the oil dip stick at one point and I remember that there were some challenges for the service techs when they were checking out my car when it was new. Thanks again for the information. I am glad I kept my car in original condition as it still performs like new when I take it out for a spin and it gets a lot of attention from motorists that see the car on the road.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Several updates have been made. If there are certain {lists} you’re looking for, let me know

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I've added the Build sequence numbers to 2006 and 2008 Vipers. We all know that Dodge/SRT/FCA did not number Vipers, however, I have added these numbers to my database based on the MDH

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff. Being one who loves data, I'd love to see production figures for all the special editions built over the years. It would be really cool, although impossible to gather, to find out how many still survive today.