Viper stalling

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Our 94 stalls at the stop sign.

Here is how it goes. Start car up back out of garage cruise down street to main road. Get on main road and cruise between 35 and 40 then come up to the stop sign shift in to neutral and push in brake pedal get to sign then the car seems to struggle to stay running then it will either bounce back up in to idleing RPM range or just shut the car down. I have replaced the TPS sensor that didnt help out at all. I havent had a chance to hook it up to a OBD computer yet. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? It does have the 185 thermostat in it, KN filters, smooth tubes and that is it. Thanks for the help.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave hit all the best bets:
Idle Air Controller and TBs, clean them as best you can with some carb cleaner.

TPS ground? Sometimes its not as good as it should be, double check it and enhance.

Reset PCM? Sometimes by disconnecting the PCM for 15-20 will fix the problem. It resets back to original parameters and relearns.

If none if these fixes work, change out the battery even though it may still seem good. A low battery does funny things to the Viper's electronics.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 92 was doing that and Chuck Tator told me to change out the Map Sensor. I did that and if fixed the problem.

I would call him 914-763-3136

DaytonaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless you replaced the battery lately or a daily driver.......my bet is on the battery.:drive:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a simple adjustment to the throttle cables and the use of a set screw to lock the cables to prevent the problem in the future. Call me. I have the parts and can tell you how to correct it.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was doing the same thing last year, and the year before. I could back out of the garage and drive down the road just fine. When I'd come to a stop at a light or a stop sign, the car would idle really low and sometimes die. I thought for sure it could NOT be the battery, even though numerous people on this forum said it was one of the most likely problems. I reluctantly installed a new battery and the problem was gone! My Viper unfortunately does not get driven much, and I never had it on a battery charger. After my second battery replacement(same symptoms) about a year later to the day, I got a new battery under warranty from Autozone, went home to install the battery, and immediately ordered a battery tender from PartsRack. I'm fairly certain my battery problems will now no longer be a yearly occurrence. :D

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just installed a diehard last week. i have never had a diehard die on me. it made a very noticeable difference.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the IAC (careful not to damage or loose the O ring gasket) use a cleaner and clean the carbon from IAC and throttle bodies. Adjust throttle bodies and Happy Motoring. Problem solved.:drive:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see alot of good things mentioned. I would also recommend IAC, MAP Sensor and sync Throttle Bodies.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
alright changed the battery, grounded the positive cable, new TPS, looked at the IAC and it looked clean. So im guessing that this could be a MAP sensor?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright changed the battery, grounded the positive cable, new TPS, looked at the IAC and it looked clean. So im guessing that this could be a MAP sensor?

Although a clean IAC is a good sign, it could still be sticking.

Theory that could be wrong... If the IAC closes as you move past idle and the TB's take over, and then then the IAC does not re-open at idle, then the car would die being starved for air. Don't know if that's how it all works though, just an idea. But hey, the part is 14 years old. Put a new one on just because?

Also, did you set WOT after the PCM reset? If that is needed on your Gen 1.

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you haven't resynched the TBs yet (I may be blind, but I haven't seen that you've done this), I'd try that before spending any more money. Just push the grey buttons, pull the cable back, then get in the car and push the pedal to the floor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4