Viper Victory in Scotland

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weekends race off the Hayles Racing website

A masterly display of driving in appalling conditions by Rob Wilson and Tim Harvey gave Hayles Racing its third victory of the season in the Privilege Insurance British GT Championship today. At a rain-lashed Knockhill circuit, Scotland, the Chrysler Viper duo were the class of the field, with Wilson taking the lead at the start and Harvey setting the fastest lap at the end.

The first few laps were held behind the Safety Car after the undulating 1.3-mile track was hit by a downpour just before the cars made their way to the grid. When the green flag was eventually shown, New Zealander Wilson hurled the Viper from second past the pole-sitting Lister Storm to shoot into the lead into the plunging first corner.

From then on, with deep puddles still littering the circuit making driving conditions treacherous, he pulled away from the Lister and the similarly title-chasing TVR with ease. A slick pit-stop mid-way through the hour-long event saw Harvey keep the lead despite another Safety Car period. And, with the rain easing slightly towards the end, Harvey was able to pull away further and recorded the fastest lap in the process.

Harvey crossed the line, when the race was stopped after 43 laps, more than 30 seconds ahead of the Lister and a lap ahead of the TVR, which came home fourth in the GT class. With three races remaining, today's victory closes the gap between the three front-runners and keeps Harvey and Wilson, in third, firmly in the championship hunt in the Chamberlain Motorsport-prepared car.

Said Oxford-based Harvey: "Those were probably the nastiest conditions I've ever raced in. But I think Rob had the worst of the weather and he drove brilliantly to put me in such a good position. It's a great result and, most importantly, keeps us within reach of the title."

Wilson added: "In the early stages there was water everywhere and it was a bit like driving an oil tanker out there. The start was important though and I knew I had to get ahead of the Lister so I just went for it and it paid off."

The race ended early when the team's GTO class Viper became beached in a dangerous position in a gravel trap at the final hairpin. A wheel-to-wheel collision with another competitor broke the car's steering and Stephen Day was helpless as the car skidded off.

Up to that point, Day and team principal Curtis Hayles had excelled in the class. After starting from fourth, Hayles battled against a continuous wall of spray - and wet racing boots - to keep in contention with the leaders, even passing the faster Lister GT class car at one point.

Day took over and steadily moved up to second in class, behind GTO championship leader Kelvin Burt's Porsche, and third overall - the highest the car has run all season. But the incident at the hairpin ended his charge. The red flag came out two laps later to stop the race and the duo were classified fourth in class (with the result taken the lap before the red flag).

Said Hayles: "I couldn't see a thing the entire time I was in the car. I knew where the corners were but I couldn't see them! And to make matters worse, every time I braked I got what seemed like a bucket full of water go straight into my left boot. It was tough going to say the least. The end was disappointing, but we were running very well so we're more than pleased with that."

Day, a survivor of one of the wettest Le Mans 24-Hours races ever earlier this year, said: "Today's conditions were probably the second worst I've raced in!"

He added: "I am so annoyed the race ended like it did. We were in a solid second place but I just got caught up in traffic and had a coming together with a Ferrari and that was it. Fourth is little consolation really when we should have been on the podium, but the car was fantastic throughout the race and I'm sure we'll be back at the front next time."

The Hayles Racing team is back in action in two weeks time at Thruxton, Hampshire, Britain's fastest circuit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21