Viper vs 911 Turbo, Ferrari 360, ZO6, and Yamaha R1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a few races this weekend, my first since I bought my 04 last September. I have Belangers, VEC3, smooth tubes, and PS2's. First race was the 07 911 Turbo. At the start I was too excited and simply smoked my tires and fishtailed, he had me by 3 car lengths by the time my car straightened back up. We raced again and the warmed up PS2's held true, and I pulled him one car length when I hit third, we were neck in neck until then. His driving was very professional, as he didnt spin the tires (traction control?) at all and his shifts were very crisp while I was lucky to hit the right gear during my excitement. He lost by 1 1/2 car lengths. Next was the Ferrari 360. Again, for some reason I spinned the tires like an amateur and he hole shotted me by one car. I hit second and caught him and passed him rather easily. After he was 3 car lengths behind he gave up:mad: . Next was the z06, bad news was it was an 04:dunno: , not the newest version. This race was no contest. We hole shotted together and when I hit second I simply walked away from him. He was upset, so we raced again, and again, for some strange reason I simply smoked the tires and fishtailed while he pulled me a car. My wife was livid :nono: and told me I need to go to the Viper driving school! I caught him in when I hit 3rd. Later that day, I raced an R1, we were neck in neck when I foolishly forgot to shift out of second an my rev limiter kicked in. He popped a wheelie and took off. He later said he was shocked at how fast Vipers are.
I have a question: What rpm do you guys suggest launching at in 1/4 mile contests? And do such things as lighter flywheels really help 1/4 mile times? One more thing...if you come across an 07 911 Turbo at the track bring your A game...those things are nothing to play with!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Porsche is probably your only challenge in 1/4 mile. Especially if its AWd Turbo. The bike should have beat you but I guess not everyone know's how to ride or drive. The bike will pull 1.6 60fts and run low to mid 10's. Your Viper will not be anywhere close to that. And 360's are slow. But its still fun to play around.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my car bone stock on runflats, I ran 11.93 @ 122.3 and two 12ohs my first time out with the car (stock dyno 442/481). My 60ft times were 1.8x - 1.9x. That's all decent for bone stock; I just left right off idle. Nothing fancy, foot off the brake when the tree started & roll-on throttle at launch with some mild peddling. The 3.07 gears in this car make it pretty easy to drive IMO. On that 11.93 pass I took down a C6 Z06, he went 12.2 & wasn't happy that he was in my rearview mirror.

I also have an 04 R1, and the bike with me riding it can do 10.3 quarters & I'm not a good 1/4 launcher on the bike, so he should've smoked you from a stop, but skill is EVERYTHING on a bike, I've seen low 10 sec bikes running 12-13's at the track due to the rider - running a 400lb rocket flat out to 150mph can just plain scarey for a mere mortal, but fun.
That's why I don't go back to the 1/4 track with the bike, scares me too much to peg it for 10 secounds straight, too dangerous for me.

Dave.
03 SRT

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, my barber has an R1 and when I told him what happened when I raced that R1 he just laughed. He told me the guy either was playing with me or did not know what he was doing. But yep, it was still fun. I was simply amazed by that Porsche, no wheel spin, no fish tail, just a little "click" during gear shift and the thing moves! A better driver in a weaker 911 Turbo can beat a novice drive in a 700 hp Viper. The awesome power of the Viper overcame many of my knuckleheaded mistakes.

Hey, what rpm is best to launch a 580 hp Viper in the 1/4 mile?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Launching right off idle? I need to try that. The PS2's have eliminated the wheel hop, but they do fishtail under WOT from say 2000 rpm if not properly warmed. I read in one of the mags that they launched the Viper at 2400 rpm. But when I ask other drivers I get launch numbers all over the place. Maybe its more of a feel?

Viperholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blackmamba, you're right about the 07 Turbo being a threat with a good driver behind the wheel, however at $120,000 a car, you probably won't come across many of them.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question: What rpm do you guys suggest launching at in 1/4 mile contests? And do such things as lighter flywheels really help 1/4 mile times? One more thing...if you come across an 07 911 Turbo at the track bring your A game...those things are nothing to play with!

I have heard it said that a lightweight flywheel is actually not good for drag racing. Great for road courses, but not so great for drag. I don't know if this is true or not.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Of course, all these contests were done on a closed course in controlled conditions :drive:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 07 997 Turbo and I have to say the car will smoke a stock G3 Viper. I have my Turbo at Evo getting a 700hp package. It should run 10.8 to 10.7 at 130ish. :drive:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 07 997 Turbo and I have to say the car will smoke a stock G3 Viper. I have my Turbo at Evo getting a 700hp package. It should run 10.8 to 10.7 at 130ish. :drive:
I agree, I believe the stock 07 911 is running 11.7's in the 1/4 mile. My G3 is not stock and the PS2's help quite a bit. I believe w/ my mods and 580 hp against the stock 07 911 Turbo it is a drivers race. All things being equal I believe I would beat the 911 Turbo 2 out of 3 times the way my car was pulling him in the higher rpms. Much of the 911 Turbo's advantage was in the 0-60 range.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right that all wheel drive just makes the turbo go like hell no tire spin. Well with 700hp I could smoke all four tires on my '02. When you race your modded G3 just get the best start you can then roll into the power. As long as the guy doesnt pull you by 2 to 3 cars from the start you should pull em. But if the guy knows how to slip the clutch and builds boost the turbo will put like three cars on you from a dig. Then it will be a matter of catching and passing.:drive:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'smooth tubes' for an '04? What mod is that? (I've only heard of these for Gen 1&2)

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'smooth tubes' for an '04? What mod is that? (I've only heard of these for Gen 1&2)
You are correct, I misspoke. I have side pipes not smooth tubes. Here is a copy of the order for my mods from Roe Racing:

1 - anode rad. cap = $19.95
1 - 172 degree t-stat = $27.95
1 - set, S&B high flow air filters = $89.95
1 - set, Belanger headers and side pipes = $3795.00
1 - Roe Racing side sill insulation kit = $129.95

I ordered the Vec 3 about a week after. These mods were good for about 70 extra horses. The Roe guys are very professional and really good guys. I got all my stuff on time and they are easy to work with.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kenric, I am having most of my problems in the 0-60 department and keeping her straight when I shift from 1st to 2nd. When you say "roll into the power" what do you mean by that?

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
I have heard it said that a lightweight flywheel is actually not good for drag racing. Great for road courses, but not so great for drag. I don't know if this is true or not.

Aside from quicker revs, etc., it will lower the equivalent weight of the vehicle. In first gear, you will lose the equivalent of hundreds of pounds of weight, gradually decreasing in amount as you increase the gear you are in.

I have posted the formula a number of times but the first for the new layout:

Equivalent weight = 0.5*(flywheel weight)*[(flywheel radius*gear ratio*final drive ratio)/(tire radius)]^2

Last edited:
OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from quicker revs, etc., it will lower the equivalent weight of the vehicle. In first gear, you will lose the equivalent of hundreds of pounds of weight, gradually decreasing in amount as you increase the gear you are in.

I have posted the formula a number of times but the first for the new layout:

Equivalent weight = 0.5*(flywheel weight)*[(flywheel radius*gear ratio*final drive ratio)/(tire radius)]^2
So for us laymen, a lighter flywheel gives you faster 1/4 mile times, right?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I mean by roll on the throttle is to ease on the gas from a start and as soon as you can fill the tires are able to handle the power go to full power. Thus it minimizes tire spin so that you are not just spinning your tires while the other guy is gone. Just like when your are going into 2nd gong side ways all you are doing is loosing momentum. If you know you are going go side ways try and modulate the throttle and ease into 2nd. From 3rd on if there is no problem with putting the power down then it is balls to the walls full power!

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha, this is going to really take some practice and discipline for me. I had a (hold your breath) automatic Corvette years back and all I did was floor it and I beat several guys who were doing what I am doing now, spinning tires. Holding back is hard for me to do now b/c of the adrenaline rush. But Vipers are drivers cars so that means now I have to become a real driver! Thanks!