VIR or Sebring best track for Novice?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your friend had one track day under his belt (Putnam Park) and wanted to try another track, and had the choice of VIR or Sebring (same date, can't do both), which one would you recommend and why? (Please note, can do the other next year...probably)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIR.

Sebring is great -and historic - so it has that going for it - but it's FLAT and ROUGH. It also has lots of immovable objects as walls and barriers. There is a lot of it that is very high speed - unlike Putnam Park.

VIR is GORGEOUS. Scenic. LOTS of elevation changes, few walls, decent runoff and still has a l-o-n-g back straight for top end speed jollies.

The skills you learn at VIR will help you at Sebring.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I would ever disagree with Janni... but I'm told that VIR can also be dangerous, and the walls at Sebring are not as close as you might think. Plus, as a second-time out rookie, not having to deal with elevation and camber changes may be nice... I'd say do both!

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Janni is right, and Rich is also right.
VIR usually becomes everyone favorite. It's big and spread-out. The hills, blind corners, fast straights, and the scenery are all fantastic. You run a large portion of each lap with the gas pedal flat! I want to retire in the area just to run this track often.

Sebring is big, as in 3.7 miles and 17 corners long. You have to have the track memorized to get up to speed. Except for the 2 straights, you spend most of your lap turning. It is flat, and that helps but it is also bumpy. The bumps don't hurt us street cars any, it just adds another element the smooth tracks don't have. It is O.K. to learn Viper Days here, I did. You just have to LEARN the track and stay within your cars abilities. Get a good instructor and you will be fine.

They are both great in their own way. Do both if you can. Sebring will make you faster for VIR.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my dilemna. I can run VIR (with the FCA-SE region track day) the same date that Viper Days has Sebring, and enjoy the cool Apr weather there at VIR, or do Sebring and VIR at Viper Days but have to suffer through the July weather at VIR. Also, VIR is a lot closer to me than Sebring and I hear Sebring is a car ****** and I am only on my second track with the GTS. It sounds like VIR is a bit more forgiving, and I did spin in my first track session (on PS streets, not on the Hoosiers). I really want to get on with ViperDays, but I also want to take on the courses in order of difficulty, if possible, and have other options as I said. So purely from a learning standpoint, I am leaning toward VIR as my second track. I can still get in a couple Viper Days events this year.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your choice is a Viper Days event vs a non-Viper Days event - ALWAYS choose the Viper Days event (regardless of the track) in order to bring you up the learning curve MUCH faster than you can at any other venue.

Your instructor will be a FAST Viper driver. They will know how to get the most out of your car SAFELY. They've driven the cars, they know the cars and they will bring you up to speed (pun intended) much faster.

Besides, there is a whole huge support structure and knowledge base at Viper Days that you wo't get anywhere else, either.

See you at Sebring!

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fly, not this time. Mid-Ohio will be my Viper Days debut. I am going to get VIR in while the weather is reasonably cool. Have fun and drive safe! See you in Ohio?

Janni, are you any relation to the Cones from Sherman, TX?

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you might be interested to know that one of the top independant Daytona motorcycle racing teams was Cone from Sherman TX back in the late 70's.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boxer - enjoy VIR in April, you lucky.......
Tip: to set up the back straight, you have to get through Oak Tree perfectly. More guys loose time getting through Oak Tree poorly. To get through Oak Tree clean, where you are flat on the throttle as soon as possible for the lang back straight - you must get through 11 properly. Turn 11 sets up Oak Tree. Work on turn 11 & Oak Tree.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turn before a long straight is always the most critical, isn't it! I am studying the track map, but a walk over will tell me a lot more. Anyone care to go to trackpedia.com and enter a description of the track? Fly?

Anyway, I will let you all know how it goes. My wife is sure looking forward to the Plantation Spa. This trip should cost a bundle!

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIR North Course is a nice track, lots of elevation changes and a good variety of turns, twists and kinks. It takes a few laps to get the line down, but after that it's just good ol fun! I started out doing 1:53's and improved that to mid 1:40's. There was only one other Viper there and he was never got a chance to chat with him so I don't know what times he was running. Local car (red R/T 10), I believe. It was fun running with the Ferrari's (also a Lambo, Vette). I was able to run with a 333SP and outrun all the stock cars,except the Z06 (which was about even) but was eaten alive by the 360 Challenge cars from F of W. There were a couple of 355C's that were faster too. I felt like the rabbit at the dog races when they were out there trying to lap me, which they were doing the first day but not the second. I figure they were doing 10 sec faster around the track than me to lap me in a session. Dangit. It was great fun, but I think I need a CC!