Want to be able to have your fog lamps on, even with your high beams on? read on

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing worst that Uncle Sam deciding for us what to do and when to do it.
Fog lamps are a good example,for whatever reasons,they don't want us to be able to use them when the high beams or Flash to Pass are on,I guess that being able to see better is dangerous!!!
Anyways, here is a free,5 minutes way to do it.

1/ open the hood
2/ Remove the Power Distribution Center black plastic cover
3/ Locate and remove the Fog lamp logic relay.(on my 2000, it is the last one closest to the windshield)
4/ Once it is removed you will see 5 tabs/prongs on it's bottom.
Each one have a # 30 printed on the relay housing.
87A
It look like that:

_
| | _
_

Now you have to cut tab/prong # 86.
On the drawing above, that will be the horizontal tab on the top.

That's it, you are done.
Put the relay, plastic cover back on and enjoy the extra light.

Luc. 2000 Gts

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why but the drawing didn't came out right.
Doesn't matter since what is important is to cut # 86.
I will try again

_
| | _
_

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of cutting off #86, couldn't you just wrap the prong with scotch tape? Just a thought. I'm going to try it to see if it works.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be happy to just have my fog lights work!!!!!...consistently!Grrrrrrrr!! I'm still having problems with them. Not just the fuse, so my Viper tech says the whole light assembly is bad, causing a short; that gets changed, they work for a short time, then, dead again!!! Back to the dealer I go!!!hehe! So, once I get them working, then I'll give your suggestion a try!
Laura
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of wraping the tab because that can create a bad contact and consequently resistance and heat.
If you don't want to damage the relay by cutting the prong, I have another way to do it.

1/ remove the relay and save it.
2/ using 2 spade connectors and about 1" of # 14 wire, create a jumper wire to connect the cavities were tabs/prongs 30 and 87A plug in.

The way the fog lamps Relay Logic work is very simple.
30 is 12v+ from the battery.(on all the time)
87A is 12v+ coming from 30 and going to the fog lamp relay.(there is continuity between 30 and 87A when the relay is not on)
85 is ground
87 is not used
86 is the signal(12v+) coming from the high beam switch.( when on high beam or Flash to Pass,the solenoid is activated and open the connection between 30 and 87A.
Luc.

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about the early cars 92-95 with no underhood dist. block

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ernie,

Do you have a fog lamp Logic Relay on your car?
As long that you have one doesn't matter where it is located, should work the same.
Do you have the service/shop manual for your car?
If yes you could fax me the pages having to do with the fog lamp wiring and i will figure it out for you.
Luc.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a thought; why not fog lights ALL the time (swithable ON/OFF) ??
For older cars without auto day time lights, like my 96 Chrysler T&C, I made my fog (driving) lights to come on with my ignition on (switchable).
I disconnected the wires to the fog lights at the fog light housing. Be sure to note which one is + and - .
I ran separate wires from the fog lights(2, one +, one -) up to and under the dash. I then found a wire that is hot when ignition (key) is ON (this being the +). I tied into this wire with a inline fuse, to be the hot wire to the fog lights. The other ( - ) wire went to a switch I installed under the dash (accessable). I can turn the fog lights ON or OFF from the switch, or leave the switch ON, and the fog lights come on and off with the car running,(ignition ON/OFF).
I have had this installed for about 5 years now; also, on my wife's Ply. Voyager.

Soon to arrive 96 Viper RT/10.
, and I quite likely will use the above described method to activate the fog (driving) lights.
Again, just a thought

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about someone coming up with a way to control the fog lights on/off from the stock light switch when the high beams are on. The switch moves in and out to do this for the low beams, so why can you not wire it to do this when the high beams are on. This way you could elect to turn off or on the fog lights when the high beams are on, by moving the switch in and out. Just a thought, but how can it be done?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I simply removed the logic relay completely from my 97 GTS and substituted a jumper wire with spade connectors. If I face my fuse panel while standing by the drivers side of the car, I see seven relays in a row.From left to my right,I pull the last relay to my right (the logic relay). Now, after pulling the relay, see three vertical slots with two horizontal slots just below them where the relay use to be. Simply plug in a wire from the center vertical slot to the bottom horizontal slot. That's it! A piece of 16 gauge wire will due. Keep the relay for future use should you want to. I keep mine in the glove box a.k.a. "spare parts bin". Your fog lamps will now work on low & Hi beam. To turn them on or off, simply push or pull the light switch.If you really want to make a difference in your lighting,, replace the standard fog lamp bulbs with Piaa H3 85W bulbs. BIG improvement! Note: this description is for my 97 GTS. The year & model may vary. (Ask Jon B?) (JD)

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Luc.

I do have the service manual. I'll take a peek tomorrow for the relay. If no luck i'll let you know! Thanks for the offer for help!!!

Ernie

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea Luc. Although you don't recommend the tape wrap method, I tried it and it seemed to work good. Too cheap to buy another relay.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, how about having the ability to turn one light on and off so you can wink at that **** babe in the other car.
HE HE HE

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relay part # is 04 67 11 68 and retail for less than $10.
And remember, you can get ALL the Viper parts from your local Jeep dealer and it had been my experience that it is a lot easier to get a good prices on parts if you know the parts # and don't tell them that it is for a Viper.
Luc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala