Warranty on covered part denied because the part is not sold separately.

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received a call from the wizard today stating that DC would not cover the steering shaft lower coupling that was broke on my car. The part that is needed is not sold separately but sold as a unit with the steering shaft. I called the warranty people at DC and they say that the steering shaft is not covered. I state that I don't need the steering shaft I only need the lower coupling which is broke and also that part is listed as a covered part. They say too bad... They don't sell the covered warranty part separately and the assembly they sell is not covered under the warranty.

That was a scary ride when I turned the steering wheel and the car did not turn. :eek: This should also be a safety recall issue. I'm glad I was not driving fast or in a turn.

I wonder what else they won't cover because the part is not sold separately? :usa:

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy hell! That is scary indeed! I wonder what caused it to break. That is pretty bizare that the coupling is covered, but only available on a non covered part number. Geez!

Mark
:)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you hear it or feel it break? Or were you just driving along and tried to turn and nothing happened? Did you keep the broken piece? It would be good to look at it to see if it can be improved upon.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the part that broke (lower coupling) is in the list of parts covered under your warranty, DC has a legal obligation to replace it.
Doesn't matter if the only way to get it is as part of a non-covered whole assembly.

You should create a paper trail, have Chuck, in writting state that the lower coupling is broken, send a copy of it to DC with a copy of your warranty contract that specifically state that this part is covered and a letter asking them to honor the contract. (make sure to send those documents in such a way that you will have proof that they received it).

DC will have to reply in writting.

If their answer is negative, have the repair done at your cost,get a written receipt/invoice for it and when that is done file a claim in small claim court, using all the paper trail that you previously established.

Luc 00GTS

PS: Whoever at DC that used as an excuse the fact that they don't "sell" the covered warranty part separately is a complete idiot, the warranty contract obligation and purpose is not to sell parts but to REPLACE free of charge the covered parts.

OP
OP

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Warranty on covered part denied because the part is not sold separately

Did you hear it or feel it break? Or were you just driving along and tried to turn and nothing happened? Did you keep the broken piece? It would be good to look at it to see if it can be improved upon.

I just turned into my driveway and just lost control of the steering. :eek: The lower "U" joint cap pushed past the peen on the yoke and fell out resulting in total loss of steering.

The Yoke is just soft metal and the peens designed to hold the caps in are just not strong enough. A dozen turns without power steering running will weaken it, at least it did on mine. A snap ring would have been much better especially being a high performance car. :usa:

OP
OP

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If their answer is negative, have the repair done at your cost,get a written receipt/invoice for it and when that is done file a claim in small claim court, using all the paper trail that you previously established.

Luc 00GTS

PS: Whoever at DC that used as an excuse the fact that they don't "sell" the covered warranty part separately is a complete idiot, the warranty contract obligation and purpose is not to sell parts but to REPLACE free of charge the covered parts.

The cost for litigation is not feasible considering the part cost. I was just pointing out how sometimes big corporations can sometime put a blinder on and just hide behind their mistakes. :usa:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much was the part cost? Small claims court is pretty cheap... $50 or so to file, IIRC.

OP
OP

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The part cost a little over $200. I will document everything and file a complaint. I will also recommend they consider finding out why it broke in the first place. I hope it's not a problem with all Vipers. Believe me I was lucky I was only going slow. :usa:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc 00GTS

The cost for litigation is not feasible considering the part cost. I was just pointing out how sometimes big corporations can sometime put a blinder on and just hide behind their mistakes. :usa:

Actually, it might be. Coupling two parts together and not having them available through other means may constitute unlawful "tying" and be a violation of the Sherman Act, depending on the circumstances.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember a while back many of the owner's manuals in the Dodge pickups had a mis-print... something like "check oil" where it should have said "replace oil"... a few idiots actually put 30-40,000 miles on the factory oil, engine damage, big mess, etc... guess who got the bill??

this seems like a common practice with DC...

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

99GTSACR, I had a question about your steering failure. Were there any symptoms prior to the failure like binding? Currently, I seem to have some minor binding/sticking in the steering but it's noticable only at speeds under 40mph.

OP
OP

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes... The steering did bind / have more then normal play just before it happened. I would have stopped and had the car towed if I had thought I would loose steering.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi