Warrenty Voided!

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a big surprise

but my vipers clutch fell apart at 3500 miles

dealer found loose bolts were the problem and fixed it under warranty
I also had loose crank pully bolt etc.

Same shifting problem occured with only 1200 additional miles (800 with super charger)

I take the Viper to my local dealer and tell them I just need it fixed and if it is a bad clutch I would like to replace with a Centerforce which I would suply. They told me to bring it back this past tuesday.

Today I get a call to tell me that my warranty on engine/power train is voided
because of the supercharger but no one has looked at the car yet - they will do that next week!

what the f&%$, I told them to just find out the problem before assigning blame to the supercharger- I understand the warranty was at risk but it pissed me off that they wanted to blame everything on the supercharger without looking at the car and it took them most of the week to come to that conclusion.

just venting

RJM

I

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys

I guess I will wait until next week

I was a little pissed that after four days in the shop the dealer's big news was

My warranty was void and they determined that I had a non-stock shifter - actually it was a mopar shifter

No idea about the problem at hand- only that whatever it was my fault.

Probably true :) but I think the approach could have been different.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What the hell does a shifter have to do with the motor exhaust, fuel injection, rear end, shocks, brakes ect...

I would fight them on this...

vd..

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe the dealer can ONLY void the warranty if they can prove the S/C was the reason for the failure.

call tator asap though. see what he says

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran across this a few years back when I kept hearing all the warranty voids going on in the Viper world.

I don't know that this means a lot, if anything at all, but it's nice to see something in writing saying they can't void your warranty over aftermarket add on's.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8123

Here is one of the links from the side of the above link....

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124

Here is a link to the Sema Action Network, maybe this can lead you to some help....

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8125

Reaction score
Adding after market performance components void the warranty per the factory warranty limitations. The added power of said options can add more stress on the engine and all drive line components. So for the factory to know if the cause was a manufacturing or component defect vs the added power may be difficult to determine so the logical approach is to deny warranty.

It was a choice to modify the car which has clear warranty limitations.

If you want to preserve your warranty leave the car stock.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adding after market performance components void the warranty per the factory warranty limitations. The added power of said options can add more stress on the engine and all drive line components. So for the factory to know if the cause was a manufacturing or component defect vs the added power may be difficult to determine so the logical approach is to deny warranty.

It was a choice to modify the car which has clear warranty limitations.

If you want to preserve your warranty leave the car stock.

I agree.

Those links to SEMA are NOT actual state or federal law. You are nearly at the mercy of the dealer. But for a clutch, after adding ANY power (even an cat back exhaust or engine control chip!) they can void your warranty. I even think your owner's manual states modifications void the warranty. The odds are against you if you tried taking them to court under the warrantly laws I've heard exist. That, legend says, basically state they cannot deny warranty on say a turnsignal switch if you added aftermarket exhaust....

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might help, or not........

416Warranty_Modifications.jpg

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it pissed me off that they wanted to blame everything on the supercharger without looking at the car

DCX only pays dealers 2/10ths book time on warranty repairs. Dealers frequently try to weasel out of warranty work (esp. on something like a clutch) 'cos they don't make much (if any) money on it.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magnuson schmagnuson, a dealer/manufacture is going to go to the mat denying a clutch claim when the car has a mod that adds 150-200 horsepower. As an attorney I have litigated warranty claims including Mag-Moss theories of recovery and given that taking such a case to trial would cost roughly 100 times what a clutch costs the answer is clear - **** it up (after complaining and seeing if they will take care of you purely on a customer service basis).

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough dealership!

I'd let the service department know that you don't need their business and take it to another dealership to have it fixed. I'd also let them know that you won't ever purchase another car from them.
There are dealerships that will NOT void your warranty because of MODS. Most will, some won't!

Bad thing is that, now it's in the system as voided, so you can't go get it warrantied at another dealership.

Risks we take when modding our cars!

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well shoot-just purchased my 2006 SRT 10 and today I ordered a B&M short shifter. Think I may talk to dealer tomorrow before I put it in. Cant take a chance on voiding some part of the warraty with only 1000 miles on Viper.

I sure didnt think shifters would void warranty-Probably if one had clutch or tranny trouble they could put oem shifter back in. But that could be a little decieving.

Ill post what my dealer says-if I tell him. Ill tell you this some of the family of the dealer has some very hot cars.

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of people feel that they are stuck when things happen. If you can, try to go to a few other chrysler dodge or jeep dealers and just skip the ones that will decline you

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you albert-but I am wondering, as mentioned above, if this info goes into computer system , it may make things very difficult.

BlkSnake--I feel for you man-I hope things can work out for you.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe part of the problem is that dealers are selling vipers when they are not a viper certified dealer. My wife works for DC, in warranty, and I can tell you for a fact that there are only 2 certified dealers in CT but i can name at least 20 dealers selling vipers. After the sale they do not want anything to do with warranty repair. My wife is looking into this problem and trying to stop these dealers from selling vipers. Is not fair to certified viper dealers who have to spend at least $10.000.00 to become certified, only to have these fake viper dealers undercut them to make a sale.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats an excellent point RR and one I think a lot of folks don't realize. Fact is it makes REALLY good sense to make nice nice with your dealer service dept. Let them know your a "car guy" offer to buy them a coke or lunch. Its worth miles and miles. It may not work everytime but it can't hurt. I know I've REALLY made out well but I may be a bit lucky.

That being said bro - I wouldn't in a million years try to warranty the clutch on a blower car. Dude - thats ******** and now your gonna have pay the price for a serious error in judgement.