Water in my oil

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just more KACHING from the pockets

I hear THAT...

good idea on the leakdown and dropping the pan to make sure of no metal. keep us posted on how it all works out.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
since my leak was below the combustion chamber, I had no "steam", just milky oil. Of, course I could hear a tick with the bad piston.

This could be that timing gasket easily.
good luck!

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This could be that timing gasket easily.
good luck!

If it is Tator is my Hero!

The car is on my lift and ready to be worked on. Anyone is welcome to stop by tomorrow (7-18-07) and check out the progress. I'll report what I find during the teardown with my new high tech laptop I got from Joe Dell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fount it! Tator was right! The water jacket part of the timing chain cover blew out. This is not good. The Pressure of the coolent system is to be 17 pounds and my radiator cap tested at 10 pounds pressure. My radiator cap is bad. Guess when I did my pressure testing at 17 pounds I blew out the gasket. The gasket was weak in this area. I could have easealy blew out this gasket if I would have put a new radiator cap on to the correct pressure of 17 pounds pressure. This gasket material is not holding up to the recomended pressure of 17 pounds. Especialy after 25,000 miles or 9 years. This is scarry.

Pictures to be posted soon.

Bolt

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup, that'll do it i guess.

that tator guy DOES know what he's talking about sometimes...:)

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"that tator guy DOES know what he's talking about sometimes...:)"

That and he makes Great Deviled eggs! ! ! !:2tu:

Skeeter

crazyfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff...Looks like you might have got off easy on this one Bolt.

Many of the gaskets on the Gen III motor are rubber instead of paper...not sure if the timing chain cover uses a rubber gasket or if you could even use a gen III cover on a gen II, but it might be worth looking into.

Fount it! Tator was right! The water jacket part of the timing chain cover blew out. This is not good. The Pressure of the coolent system is to be 17 pounds and my radiator cap tested at 10 pounds pressure. My radiator cap is bad. Guess when I did my pressure testing at 17 pounds I blew out the gasket. The gasket was weak in this area. I could have easealy blew out this gasket if I would have put a new radiator cap on to the correct pressure of 17 pounds pressure. This gasket material is not holding up to the recomended pressure of 17 pounds. Especialy after 25,000 miles or 9 years. This is scarry.

Pictures to be posted soon.

Bolt

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. In all my useless contributions to this forum, those pics and documentation are excellent. :2tu:

This is scary that this happened for no reason. Everyone should replace their timing chain cover gasket on the GenII. The gasket was very brittle and with the Aluminum motor expanding and shrinking so much the gasket slid out of place. I'm replacing all gaskets on this motor except the head gaskets. The stock Dodge replacement gasket for the GenII is still paper. The did change the silicone sealing compound on this gasket. I'll look into the rubber one. Great idea.

Did the movie run OK?

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you ever get water in your oil. Be sure to disassemble as much as possible and clean everything. The oil turned into jello only where it touched the tins (valve covers and oil pan). Nothing in the engine or timing chain cover.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's starting to look like an engine again.

Parts are disapearing.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All surfaces where cleaned well and silicone was applied to both sides of the gasket.

yy

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job cleaning up the chicken wing boxes and 12 oz cans before the photos. And I think everyone appreciates the after the fact posts. Like, you know, did our ideas work?!?

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tonight I will button this motor up and I'm going to fire the engine for the first time. Here is what I plan to do and you tell me if I need any corrections to my approach.

remove all spark plugs
unplug wires from the coil packs
fill oil filter with oil and install
put in 8 quarts of 5-30 oil and one quart of Marvel mystery oil
Hook gage to shrader valve of fuel rail and dump fuel into coffee can

Now I'm ready to crank.
Crank the engine till I get full oil pressure
continue to crank for 15 seconds with full fuel pressure

Put the plugs back in, hook up wires and remove fuel gage

Run motor for one minute
check oil
If discoloring is evident change oil
If not run motor up to operating temperature (under idle)
change oil

repeat last step three times.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like that plan, it makes sense to me. id run it by tom F&L and see if he has any tricks up HIS sleeve too.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did it as described above. I put 80 miles on my car so far and it seams like everything is all OK. I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for awhile. It was extreemly hard driving it the first time. Once I had 50 miles on the motor I layed down 2 nice rubber patches 100 feet long at 1/2 throttle. Cool! I'm ready to rock!:2tu: I'll give this oil about one week then change it one more time. Man, it feels good to drive my car once again.:drive:

Again, Thank you everyone who helped me thru this. It turned out to be just a $300 fix. :1up: