Water wetter question

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone ever used water wetter in the radiator??????/
if so is it safe or should i not use it.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Chuck Tator is good for race motors, but corrosive. Not a good idea to use on daily driver.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i put two bottles in with distilled (or tap) water and that's my cooling system. works incredibly well. i hear the corrosive rumors but it hasn't hurt any of the radiators i've ever used (and most are aluminum). either viper or mustang.

JD

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jd im not tracking or racing the car. I just simply want to use it for hard street city driving. is it a good or bad idea?

G

grcforce327

I'm going back 75 to 25(percent) ,ro/di water to antifreeze, and two bottles of WW!! :headbang: :eek: :nana:

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you using the car on the track or just street use?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the car mostly on the street. whether it is officially a good idea or not, i don't know. but i do it. so if i do it, it is probably a bad idea. :)

JD

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Water wetter for about 15 years and have never heard of nor seen a corrosion problem. The Viper cooling system is fairly large so I also use two bottles with about a 30/70 coolant/distilled water ratio. MGH

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When completely stuck in dead-stopped traffic (often 10-15 minutes to go a mile on Chicago expressways) in the summer, the hear used to go beyond normal. I never got to the red zone, but did have to shut it down and pull over for 1/2 hour a couple of times.

With water-wetter it never goes above normal. Even idling around Chicago Motor Speedway at last July's Sheetrock 400 parade lap (100 degrees, mega humidity, sitting at idle most of the time) the needle never moved. .....and no, the temp gauge isn't broken!

I had heard that WW can cause damage to some polymers (like plastic impellers and gaskets) but have had no problems at all. The rumors of damage may be urban legend, who knows....

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doh! Forgot pic....

See...no steam!

5862edited_Racing_Joliet_010-med.jpg

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps water wetter has an anti corrosion additive in it.

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago, who put straight distilled water in his engine and it did corrode badly.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car & Driver had a writeup on this about a year ago. They didn't get into WW specifically but talked more about overall cooling and corrosion protection. Ethylene Glycol (didn't spell that right) is in antifreeze and it is the corrosion protection along with freeze protection and is the typical 50/50 mix. The cooling ability of water over EG is 50%. Therefore, the more water you can get in your system while still maintaining corrosion protection is the guaranteed ticket. A product called Zerex Super Racing Coolant (hard to find but was able to order online) is corrosion protection only. You only mix a small bottle of this along with water. It's logical that the results will produce a cooler system because there is much more water in system. Warning to those in freeze areas is obvious. Don't leave in over the winter.