WAY 2 new..lots of questions...thanks in advance

Ooo2New

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm delighted I found all of you. I got bit the first time I saw a Viper in 1993... I was a nurse in college at the time I was driving a VW bus and I think I even drooled.
My gal pals are kind of amiss that my idea of a Dream Car is the Viper...muscle cars you either get it or you don't.
Someone mentioned BMW today and I just had to shake my head.

So I'm the new kid on the block and this is all I know...I've learned the Gens, I,II,III, and some of the basic differences, personally I don't care for the new body style. I really wouldn't mind having windows so I've heard 1997 or newer, for that, and if I think I'm stealing a 1994 at a good price it may have not had the head gaskets changed yet and if it has when?

So I guess I'm shopping for a Gen II RT/10. I've heard the California Emissions sticker is no big deal, and that's not quite the opinion my Law Firm gave me. When in doubt I listen to the guy who gets paid to watch my back ..right?

Well I will be lurking for any words of wisdom I can gleen. I will probably be purchasing before the month is out. So one of the nice things is I really know, how little I know...so any big advice you think I HAVE to know, well thank you in advance.

I was injured on the job the whole Worker's Comp mess. I spend alot of time sitting at home, but I think a shiny new, to me, Viper will help me get the wind in my hair some more. How can you sit in the house when there's a Viper in the driveway?

Have a great night

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 r/t and love it, but I am considering upgrading to a gen II. Better interior, faster. The side exhaust is way cool no a gen 1 but do yourself a favor. You will get real tired of not having real windows and very very basic interior. Buy a Gen 1. Look for a 98 r/t or if you dont mind a cream puff motor buy a 2000-2002. The 2002 has abs breaks on it.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello and welcome aboard! Sounds like a Gen II RT/10 is what your looking for. Also, decide what color you want as well, because colors like graphite and sapphire are unique to the year. Good luck! Your gonna love it!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck on your search, i'm closing on a Black 99' RT/10 today i found it for 42k with only 23 thousand miles with a warranty till july 2006. Had it checked out at DC performance and all is good, already in the works for doing mods! I also went with a Gen II because of the real windows, the lumpy cam, and the forged pistons because i'm going to get a Roe supercharger in a few months!
Forged pistons = more BOOST

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II is the way to go. In '98 and newer there is a passenger side AirBag on/off switch, which is important it you have children.
The wheels changed in '99 with a different style.
If you look at a '01-'02, then you will have ABS brakes also.
If you are looking to add HP later than '97-'99 will give the the better engine suited for that with forged internals.

Various colors are made each year. So year may matter with you color choice.

In general though, all the info you HAVE to know is the background on the Viper you look at. Have it checked out by a Viper Tech and let them tell you how it's been treated and taken care of before you purchase.

Good luck in you search! Welcome to the Club in advance! :D

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
I know this is not the place to post for sales but I have a 2000 red rt10 with 22k on it with Corsa exhaust, high flow cats, Autoform front end splitter, Autoform hard top, 7 DVD changer with navigation on a 7” screen new speakers and amp all new EBC brakes, new rotors cross drilled and slotted for $47. – Anyone know anyone interested? also has extended warrenty.

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my Viper about a year ago. I was looking at a GTS. I found a couple I was interested in and almost bought one. But, I really prefered the rt/10 because of looks. Plus I love the option of going *******. I wanted windows because the rt/10 with windows and the double-bubble hard top looks sweet. But I couldn't find one that I was willing to buy. Then I ran into a Black 93 rt/10 that had a clear background and very low miles. The previous owner had purchased some aftermarket hard(not canvas)windows that slide open and are tinted. Also the 1993 had side exhaust which I LOVE. So I purchased it and wouldn't trade it for any car! Also, Inetrior is easy to make beautiful-Painted dash, bought aftermarket shifter, knobs, and door handles.

Advantages to Gen 1
Good engine for mods
Original design
Side pipes
Racing Steering wheel
Cleaner Lines IMO
Less expensive

Negatives
Air Bags
No Air Dam and Hood Vents(if you like those)
Less horsepower at first (If you put on a supercharger you can use higher lbs pullies)

This is just my opinion. Also the newer the Viper the more civilized. That can be good or bad!

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you're sitting in the house...the Viper should be in the garage..not the driveway. :D If you're not driving it..you should be washing, waxing, detailing, upgrading.....and when all that's done...drooling!! BTW, ABS brakes are a nice thing to have..so definately an '01 or '02! Welcome!!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96' RT/10 and I LOVE it. I've only had it about a month, but I'd wanted one since they debuted in 92'. Its really considered a Gen 1.5 b/c the interior is black instead of gray, 415HP instead of 400 for a Gen 1, 450 for a Gen 2, the side exhaust is gone, and has a Gen II suspension plus some other stuff im prob forgetting. The best things about a RT/10 is the feeling on a pretty day when the top is off (it can be a pain to assemble if u ever have to use it), they are generally less expensize than a GTS, the styling lines, and insurance isnt nearly as high as some people assume. Even my gas mileage isnt THAT bad. I think a Gen 2 Viper is more practical, but a Gen 1 or 1.5 can save you some $$ and be just as fun. a GTS is one badass looking car, but rolling down windows cant take the place of going ******* :) . Good luck finding the Snake you want. P.S.--no matter what (!!!) get any Viper you buy checked out by a Viper tech 1st (or atleast a Dodge dealership). I almost bought a 94' RT/10 w/only 18k miles from FL until it went to Dodge and they found about $8k worth or problems!!!

Reaction score
Attend a Viper Club meeting in your area and get a close up look at the various years and talk with the owners.

The CA Smog sticker is a problem if you bring a car to DMV without getting one, but it is my understanding they are very easy to get from a dealership. The US market cars are US cars are all from the same assembly line and parts bin including the engines computer.

In my opinion newer is always better, buy the color you like and then search for the car you want. Once you find your dream have it inspected by a Viper Tech and get a report on its service history.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya