Weight of a Sloan Qwikload? Want to tow Viper with BMW X5.

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking about buying a use Quickload, but I need to make sure my 2003 X5 3.0 (automatic trans) will be able to tow it with my 2001 GTS.

The hitch is rated at 6000lbs but there was an addendum to the manual that stated the max for an auto trans was 5000lb (manual trans is 6000lb).

I think the trailer is 20ft with a wind fairing.

Thanks,

Ken

OP
OP
G

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I've talked to a lot of people, including the dealers and they all seem to think that as long as I dont exceed the rating the X5 should tow the viper and trailer just fine. But I cant find the exact weight of the trailer with fairing.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy answer: when you load everything up, go to the local truck scales. If you wanna find out before, just find it on the web. There's gotta be a quickload website.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like an awful lot of weight for your minivan. Even if you meet your max limit, you are looking at a dangerous situation in that your curb weight of the minivan is probably significantly less than that of the viper and trailer. ie: push you to your death on a corner somewhere. :smirk:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your trailer will probably weigh in the neighborood of 1700-2000#. That will put you right at the limit for your rig, with no extra gear.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5000lbs is not enough to tow a Viper comfortably and safely. You also have to consider the wieght of passengers and gear you will be taking with you. You can always pull the weight but your engine and tranny will be shot in no time soon. Good luck.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on pushing you thru a corner. Had a boat almost push me thru a corner in a 1/2 ton, My but bit a hole in the seat & I moved up to a F250 4X4.

my .02

Andy

OP
OP
G

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. FYI the web site does not have the weight info.

I called Quik-Load and got the answers:

18ft trailer with 7000GVWR: 1950 lbs
20ft trailer with 7000GVWR: 2050 lbs

Wind Fairing adds an additional 45 lbs

So with a 20ft trailer I'd be pulling 5500 lbs.

The X5 w/man trans is rated to tow 6000 lbs trailer with elect brakes.
With/Auto trans it is rated to tow 5000 lbs trailer with elect brakes.

I've talked to alot of people today, who say, not to worry about the extra 500lbs. I'll be going by myself in the car and may carry about 50lbs of stuff in the X5.

The only concern BMW seems to have is the wear and tear on the transmission.

Thanks again,

Ken