weight savings

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can I take off or out of the car to save weight ?

I know I'll get some comical answers on this one

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spare/jack/tools.

Factory exhaust/cats

Depends on year of your car, but if pre 98 factory manifolds are heavy.

There are many many more things you could lighten, but they would require expensive replacement versions.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I will bite. How much do you weigh. I know for me that would be the easiest reduction. Beyond that the spare tire, jack, etc is probably next (if it is an RT you will hear lots of safety relaty comments). After that I don't know.

Headers and cats if the headers are pre 1999 like Russ said.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road race seats (i.e. Kirkey) wiegh about 15 pounds vs. OEM seats + tracks at around 35 pounds each. Next size smaller battery saves about 7 pounds. Lighter flywheel could save you 20 pounds. Too bad you have a GTS; if it were an RT all the carpet would have gotten wet by now and you could remove about 20 pounds of insulation...

The tubular exhaust (23 pounds) and aluminum suspension arms (60 pounds) are already on your 2000.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
zosicks,

Frank Parise sent me a list a while back when I had asked the same question. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.

Side exhaust with no cats 40
Fat Albert's lightweight hood 50
Tilton flywheel and clutch 40
Passenger seat 35
Race seat vs. driver seat 18
Heater core assembly 10
Blower motor 6
A/C compressor & clutch 14
Side windows, trim, guides 24
2 door panels with liners 14
Radio system,speakers, amp 22
Air bags, modules, supports 13
Roof/Headliner 9
Rear Lexan hatch window 25
Misc int. trim panels 41
Interior carpet kit 34

Hope this helps.

Regards,

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That unnecessary v10. Go with a nice small high revving quad cam motor. One engineered by engineers.
You'll cut about 400 lbs.

There. . . You happy.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A diet alway helps depending on your weight I have seen claims from Bo Flex of weight saving of over 50 lbs !!! LOL :D (This is the weight savings I personally have to work on :( )

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zosicks,

Side exhaust with no cats 40
Fat Albert's lightweight hood 50
Tilton flywheel and clutch 40
Passenger seat 35
Race seat vs. driver seat 18
Heater core assembly 10
Blower motor 6
A/C compressor & clutch 14
Side windows, trim, guides 24
2 door panels with liners 14
Radio system,speakers, amp 22
Air bags, modules, supports 13
Roof/Headliner 9
Rear Lexan hatch window 25
Misc int. trim panels 41
Interior carpet kit 34

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Cool list, although I wouldn't remove the parts on my car. I didn't know how much these parts weigh? I guess some people can do it to transform a street Viper into a true racer. :cool: :cool:

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question, why isn't there a titanium exhaust for the viper? It would reduce the weight by a lot(40-60lbs?)(cubic inch of titanium is about 40% lighter). I realize it is more expensive. I believe the z06 has a titanium exhaust which saves a lot of weight. Given that material costs are not a huge part of the Viper Exhaust systems costs(it seems mostly to be just the "viper tax"), it probably shouldn't cost that much more.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question, why isn't there a titanium exhaust for the viper? It would reduce the weight by a lot(40-60lbs?)(cubic inch of titanium is about 40% lighter). I realize it is more expensive. I believe the z06 has a titanium exhaust which saves a lot of weight. Given that material costs are not a huge part of the Viper Exhaust systems costs(it seems mostly to be just the "viper tax"), it probably shouldn't cost that much more.

Anyone that is really into performance is going to change the stock exhaust system anyways - so it it doesn't really matter to me.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Corsa might come out with a titanium exhaust for the Viper.

If interests is shown to Corsa in the form of money, it is likely to be helpful for people making the decision at Corsa.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll also go faster if you only run enough fuel for the event and empty the windscreen washer tank.

Going to the bathroom before a race could save weight too - hell - after a good Texan beef chilli cook off and a few beers - you could shed another 5lb in there!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hell - after a good Texan beef chilli cook off and a few beers - you could shed another 5lb in there!

Plus, if you eat it all outside in the Texas summer heat you'll shed a few more pounds in sweat to boot! :)