What are they doing to my motor??????

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many early 2000 model owners myself included have found out we must have our motors rebuilt because of oil consumption problems. My question is this, Dodge cannot give me a straight answer at this time to exactly what they are doing to my motor!! I know the piston sleeves were too hard so they must be replaced and obviously the rings. Does anybody know what else will be done? Also does the break in procedure change on a rebuilt motor? Thanks!!!

Motorless Ron

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Jon B will be able to inform you...he is a very knowledgeable person regarding warranties and the 23 items Arrow does to every motor that passes through their shop...after all he is the authority around here...

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you get your engine back from Arrow here is the 1000 mile break in summary you will receive.
1. Do not go over 70 mph
2. No wide open throttle acceleration
3. 1st 200 miles 2500 rpm shift limit
4. Change oil at 200 miles
5. 200-400 miles 3500 rpm shift limit
6. 400-600 miles 4000 rpm shift limit
7. 600-800 miles 4500 rpm shift limit
8. 800-1000 miles 5000 rpm shift limit

Your engine is now broken in and you also have a greater appreciation for the meaning of patience.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Folks,

One thing I'd like to understand. When they rebuild a 1996 engine, do they rebuild to 1996 specs, for example a 1996 grind cam, forged pistons, etc. or does Arrow update to the latest version, i.e. 2000 grind cam, cast pistons etc.

Thanks</FONT f>

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron:

I would also add that most engine builders would recommend that you do the break in with organic pertoleum based motor oil without cleaners (usually 30W). I have heard the reason for this is to seat the gaskets correctly. As you have probably already heard, gaskets have been a historic problem with all Viper.

Once you pass the break in period, you can switch everything back to synthetics.

Good luck.