What is a FAIR price for a 99 RT/10?

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In today's market what do you think is a reasonable price to pay for a Black 99 RT/10 with Black leather interior. It has the hard and soft tops. Owner says that there is some scratches on the car and some curb rash on one wheel. Car has 17,000 miles, clean title, and so far the car has had 3 owners...which gives me some concern. The first owner was a executive lease company, second owner was current owner's friend, current owner bought the car from friend. The owner is asking $44,000 for the car. Good deal or no?

Thanks,
Brian

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope not a good deal, high mileage for the price. Check out autotrader.com, cars.com to give you a reference of what you can get.

I paid 47,000 for my 2000 with only 5000miles not a scratch. hard top, soft top, toneau borla/mopar exhuast, car cover etc.

Shop around

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think 44 is fair & do not think 17K is high mileage

personally i care more about condition than mileage. i've seen many low mileage cars that look beat. you also have to consider the other variables like color, mods, etc. If its exactly what you're looking for, then its that much more valuabe to you.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car had no mods It is the color combo that I want, but I think 44K is high for the car. I think 38-40K is definitly a fair offer for the car.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you will be hard pressed to find a 99 for 38k with under 20,000 miles. I would say 42-44 is the right price for this car. If you want a cheaper car you should be looking at 97 RT-10's.

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sounds like good a price to me depending on the severity of the scratches. how far are you from it? it's not cheap to ship these cars.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about 250 miles from it. I just thought that it would be possible to get the car for around 40K....

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look around there are many vipers with lower mileage, single owners, not a scratch etc etc, don't settle till you find the right one. U won't get a gen 2 for that price unless its a very high mileage, salvage etc

99 rt/10 your looking at 42,000$ and up, with low mileage 10,000miles or so around the 45,000$+ range. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of mileage and condition you are looking for.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't pay that for a three owner car, but 40k might still be a bit low. Depends on how much it costs to clean up the paint, or if it is even possible without repainting a panel. There are very well taken care of 98 and 99 cars out there with over 30 K miles, not leased vehicles, and perfect paint that I would take ahead of something that I thought had been beaten on and needed paint work.
Black shows scratching and weathering very badly so if a detailer isn't able to polish out the paint flaws a repainted panel will really show. A car that looks like it has been cracked up is more of a deal killer to me than a bit of extra mileage.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Advice you're getting here is all good.
Tough call on the "scratches" not actually being able to see them. Could be a deal killer, or very minor.
It would be good if you could go see it, and bring a viper tech.
BTW, 1999 RT > 2000 RT (creampuff - least desireable year), all things else being equal...

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 owners ...is a cause for concern...price is right @ 42k

leased high performance vehicles are usually hammered on

If you are seriously considering the buy...have a good viper tech check it out well.

Dave

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a very broad statement- so I guess you've never used full throttle or driven over 65 MPH in your pampered "owned" Viper :rolleyes:

Leased or purchased, most of our cars get used like they were designed for. Also, it's highly unlikely that these leased cars have ever seen any track duty, nitrous or blowers. It just doesn't make sense to highly mod a lease vehicle. If I were looking to buy a clean car, that's a very important consideration in my book.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about service records? If very well kept up, probably worth it regardless of lease / miles. Of course, if it was yellow, and a GTS, it would be worth at least 60k.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
44 is VERY fair. I paid 42 for mine with 22,000 miles and i got a great deal i think. 17,000 isnt high mielage. Try to break him to 42 or 43 but still 44 is a great deal. Depends on what kind of scratches it has though. Got any pics?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$44k seems reasonable for a 99 with 17k miles and a clean title not having seen curb rash though. 17k miles is not a lot considering Vipers are lasting so far to 100k+ miles.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i think you should shoot for under 40k...though around 40k is a good deal...i looked for a year before i bought my gen 1...so if you are looking to find a 98 viper for 38-40k just offer this guy that, and if he doesn't take it, keep looking. one will pop up eventually for that price

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a very broad statement- so I guess you've never used full throttle or driven over 65 MPH in your pampered "owned" Viper :rolleyes:

Leased or purchased, most of our cars get used like they were designed for. Also, it's highly unlikely that these leased cars have ever seen any track duty, nitrous or blowers. It just doesn't make sense to highly mod a lease vehicle. If I were looking to buy a clean car, that's a very important consideration in my book.

LOL too funny....

I leased a C5 vette and went thru 3 trannys...like I said they get hammered on...And yes my Viper is purchased and is pampered....I use it but do not abuse it...duh there is a difference.... I guess the vette trannys are weak..especially 5th gear going at redline :rolleyes:

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 99s seems to have higher prices on average than any pre-ABS cars except the b/w 96 and 97s. Not sure why the 97s are up since the second year is not as collectable as the first but no bargains on these in blue. I don't see anyone selling a 99 in decent shape for below 40K, even with 30k miles. To me they are the second most desirable pre-ABS models because they are the first year of the 18" wheels and that last year of the forged internals. If you can clean up the scratches then your offer could maybe sweeten a bit but if it was just a power polish the current owner would have done that, you would think. Some curb rash can be repaired or rims replaced so that part would not be a big deal. You have to look at it and maybe get a body man's opinion on the scratch repair.
There is always a better deal out there but not usually within driving distance. It can add $2000 to ship from the opposite end of the country, and someone still has to view that car to look for flaws that would affect your offer.
I am in Canada so I have to ship from a million miles away no matter what I buy because of no options. If I managed to find my model and color within driving distance I would likely pay a bit more and be prepared to settle on a few small things becauseof no shipping costs and no surprises.
The more choices you have the pickier you can be. Eastern seaboard, California, and Florida seem to have the most Vipers within driving distance. Good luck with your search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte