What is needed in Heads and Cam install

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need the following: head gaskets, intake gaskets, water crossover gaskets, timing cover gasket and a cam sensor spacer. The head bolts and valve cover gaskets are reuseable. I would however recommend that you replace the head bolts and timing chain. You should carefully inspect the lifters for wear and replace as necessary. If you still have the factory exhaust manifolds, they don't use gaskets. If you have headers, you'll need exhaust gaskets. Crower offers a large selection of cams and should be able to recommend a cam for you based on your wants and what mods you have. If your new cam isn't ground on the stock base circle, you'll want to get a set of roller rockers and some chromoly pushrods. Good luck. Send me an e mail if you need anything.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

You can purchase a gasket kit from Dodge that includes everything that you will need gasket wise except for the Timing cover and Oil pan gasket. This is much cheaper than buying the gaskets individually. I have these kits in stock.

Purchase a service manual for your year viper. It contains all of the torque specs and sequences. You will need (2) torque wrenches..inch pound and ft/pound, and torx drivers on 1/4" drive to remove the intake and valve cover bolts. Clean/sharp scrapers to remove excess gasket material, and I suggest alcohol for cleaning and drying mating surfaces. Other than those specialty tools above, normal tools will suffice.

I strongly recommend changing lifters with a new cam. You should replace head bolts as well.

There is a very good possibility that you will need a different length pushrod(x20)as ported heads seat valves at different heights from stock which affects pushrod length.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or to order any items required for a head and cam swap.

Thanks and good luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com
352-690-9600

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang