What is the invoice cost of a base '08 coupe?

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am picking up my '08 coupe today at Performance Dodge. I was quoted "invoice cost" since I also purchased my '06 there. This is really dumb, but in all the excitement, I just realized that I have no clue what 'INVOICE" actually is?
Does anyone have a quick answer or ballpark?

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Invoice is the lowest price that the dealer actually pays, sticker price is MSRP which is the sticker on the window which is always negotiable, I believe.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am picking up my '08 coupe today at Performance Dodge. I was quoted "invoice cost" since I also purchased my '06 there. This is really dumb, but in all the excitement, I just realized that I have no clue what 'INVOICE" actually is?
Does anyone have a quick answer or ballpark?

Ask the dealer to show it to you. Or go to the kelley blue book site.

I think the markup on coupe is around $7K.

OP
OP
F

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To rephrase.........

I know what invoice is as in a definition as what the dealer supposedly pays for the car when they buy it from Dodge.

What I was looking for was the actual number or cost.

$7k under MSRP, So about $76-78k.

Thank You.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer gets approx. $10,000 for each car sold at msrp. same as Porsche is what I have heard. Subtract 10k off msrp for invoice. Ok Wizard, chime in for the secret hand shake.......

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To rephrase.........

I know what invoice is as in a definition as what the dealer supposedly pays for the car when they buy it from Dodge.

What I was looking for was the actual number or cost.

$7k under MSRP, So about $76-78k.

Thank You.

MSRP on a base coupe with freight and gas guzzler tax is $88K and change, invoice is approximately $81K

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coupe MSRP=$85210
Invoice=$78082

To the invoice you would of course have to add the dealer cost for any options. I did a quick check and most of the options run at 88% (eg. H Wheels 700Msrp/616 Invoice). Gas guzzler and shipping are NOT deducted. On the dealer invoice there also charges to the dealer that DO NOT appear on the window sticker-Owner Loyalty; Gas; Regional Advertisements. These add up to about 300.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coupe MSRP=$85210
Invoice=$78082

To the invoice you would of course have to add the dealer cost for any options. I did a quick check and most of the options run at 88% (eg. H Wheels 700Msrp/616 Invoice). Gas guzzler and shipping are NOT deducted. On the dealer invoice there also charges to the dealer that DO NOT appear on the window sticker-Owner Loyalty; Gas; Regional Advertisements. These add up to about 300.

MSRP is $85210, plus $880 freight plus $1751 gas guzzler = $88,261 MSRP

Invoice is approximately $7K less

Reaction score
Ask the dealer for a copy of the invoice, it will clearly show the invoice price (includes any and all options) of the car.

When you are really good, you buy cars at "employee price", which is less than what the dealer paid.

The next lesson is at 9:00 am on Monday, we will talk about dealer "holdback".

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask the dealer for a copy of the invoice, it will clearly show the invoice price (includes any and all options) of the car.

When you are really good, you buy cars at "employee price", which is less than what the dealer paid.

The next lesson is at 9:00 am on Monday, we will talk about dealer "holdback".

It's amazing how many people have no idea how to get to the real true cost of a new
car. We could start a tread in the members only but I'm sure some if not all dealers on
this site would not be to happy about that.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would make sure your dealer makes at least a few $$$ on the deal. Any yes, I do understand that Dealers benefit from sales other ways (flooring allowances, special incentives, allocations, etc.), but on a limited edition car like this with only $7k profit, I would make sure the Dealer was getting at least a couple grand--they have to eat too!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is no employee price on the Viper.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea an 08 sold at invoice at this point in time seems amazing. My question is, why sell it if theyre making $0?

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If a dealer sells at invoice he still has a profit margin. How much that will be depends on how long the Viper was on his floor plan. Dealers do not outright "buy" their inventory. A dealer is charged for a car by Dodge when it gets invoiced which is usually right around the time a car is shipped to the dealer. Think of the dealer as having a credit card with a huge credit line. The dealer pays interest on the amount of money he is charged for the vehicle (and all new cars he has). Each month a car sits unsold he pays the interest on it. Again just like a balance you keep on a credit card. Now to encourage dealers to take cars and hold them in inventory the manufactures give dealers a "holdback" allowance. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and ranges from 2-3% of the MSRP of the vehicle. Dodge's holdback is 3%. In a simple example with an 08 Viper, if it had a list price (MSRP) of $90,000 and an invoice price of $83,000, the dealer would pay $80,300 (invoice minus the 3% holdback allowance). Added to this($80,300) would be any interest he owes on the vehicle. So if the car sat in the showroom one month before he could sell it he would also pay one months interest on the $83,000 invoice amount he was charged. The dealer would pay $80,300 plus the one month interest. If the Viper was ordered by a customer it would not sit in inventory and cost the dealer interest waiting for it to be sold. So even if sold at invoice the dealer would make $2700. As you can see a Viper (or any other car) that is ordered by a customer represents the best deal for a dealer since the car does not sit on his floor plan to cost him interest and the he keeps all of the holdback. You can really see how bad a dealer wants to move a car/truck when he "goes into his holdback". A good example of that now is the steep competition in pickup trucks. Many DOdge dealers are selling pickups below invoice and splitting the holdback with the customer. Of course there are other incentives going on but that is another story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my '08 black coupe for approx. 84k out the door, check out new thread for first impressions.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought most of my new cars at invoice minus rebate, sometimes minus holdback or half of holdback. It all depends on if the car is a hot item or if there are huge inventories of the same vehicle sitting around at various lots.

musicncars, usually employee pricing is less than invoice price. It will vary on different brands.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've bought most of my new cars at invoice minus rebate, sometimes minus holdback or half of holdback. It all depends on if the car is a hot item or if there are huge inventories of the same vehicle sitting around at various lots.

musicncars, usually employee pricing is less than invoice price. It will vary on different brands.

They are making spme money even if the car is sold at invoice. This is called "holdback".

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As mjf6175 said......."invoice" is NOT what the dealer pays for a car. That is an old dealer ploy to achieve a sale. I don't blame them at all for using it to sell a car. You hear on the radio or see on TV "SALE, SALE, SALE.......$250 BELOW INVOICE!" Do you actually think that a dealer would sell a car for $250 less than they paid for it? Of course not.......their COST is not going to be advertised to anyone. They are still making money. You just have to negotiate what you think they will let the car go for. Have fun, be careful, watch the TORQUE, and please join us for our next AZ Region Viper Run to Sedona on May 31st! Go to AZVipers.com for more info!!!! Or PM me for more information! We'd love to have an 08 with us for the day!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc