What is the secret for APEX regarding their quick 0-60 times

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to ask the guys at APEX what is their secret in getting the Vipers to accelerate so well from a standstill from 0-60. They seem to be the best if I am not mistaken in getting traction and getting very good 0-60 times. They seem to be better than any other Viper builders in this area. I noticed in the latest car and driver how quick the Ferrari Enzo was in the 0-60 times and also in the quarter mile which is due mostly in its traction. Even the Porsche GT2 is very good at that. I do not include the Porshe 911 Turbo in this because they cheat with their 4 wheel drive. I dont take it seriously. If I am not mistaken it is illegal to race an all wheel drive car anyway.

I think that the Vipers are not very good with traction and does not have very good number at the bottom end. Can Apex or anyone say what has to be done to improve this

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are referring to the LETHAL 750 package tested by Car and Driver in the annual Supercar challenge last fall, I was even surprised that were were able to accelerate faster than the $225k 750hp Porsche all-wheel drive turbo. In fact, my car was the fastest production car 0-60mph to finish the event. We lost to the Beck Lister, a race-only kit car, and the $200k+ pickup truck that didn't make it through the first attempt as something blew up.

I think the secret is smooth power and torque curve. Nothing to abrupt, but a broad strong torque curve. They kept talking about the throttle response in my car (at the event, in the magazine, and on TV). Being able to tap the throttle and go helps too. No need to build rpms to go fast. If I remember correctly, I think each start was from idle or slightly above idle.

And don't forget....with acceleration, 1/4 mile, etc.. the driver plays a HUGE role!! Everyone I gave rides to is amazed that my tires did not spin in 2nd gear with my LETHAL 750 package which made 700+ rwtq and 650+ rwhp....

Interestingly, I was testing my 'soon to be' LETHAL 1000 package. Again, it looks like a smooth torque and power curve. I am not so sure I can keep my tires planted in 2nd, but hopefully in 3rd....

Thanks for noticing.....
-Wayne

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think any other Viper comes close. Your car does what most cars cant which is have a great 0-60. So you are saying that there are no real suspension modifications. It basically is the engine from what you are saying. I love my Viper but from a start all you get is wheel spin if you dont know how to control it. I really like how streetable your car is.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol... that's what I thought until I pulled the wheels and found out they were set to the stiffest. What year/part year ACR do you have? That will determine whether you have Konis or DMs.

Lou

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Vipers can hit right aroun 4 seconds to 60MPH, which is pretty good. It takes some practice to apply the throttle and avoid too much wheelspin.

One thing is to change the conventional-car mindset of stomping on the gas. Someone here mentioned once to imagine that there is an egg under your foot and you just practice rolling onto full throttle to minimize spinning.

Plus some Viper owners have gone to Kuhmo tires or BFG drag radials, which basically WON'T spin from a normal launch, even with MUCH more than stock power levels.

I wouldn't call the Porsche or Lamborghini Gallardo cheating just because they have AWD. It is an advantage for traction, but a disadvantage for added weight and drivetrain losses, so it's a trade-off.

Cars like the GT2, Lambo Murcielago, and Saleen S7 have different gearing and/or rev higher, so that they don't have to shift to 2nd to hit 60MPH.

Despite the huge torque that the Viper has, I've found that the Viper is actually one of the best cars that I've experienced when taking off from a stop. As opposed to small displacement low torque cars (that you need to rev-up and drop the clutch, which either spins the tires or bogs horribly, falling flat on it's face) the Viper can be driven quickly in a casual way. But it does take some practice. :laugh:

-Dean.

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lLeone I have a 2002 ACR. I think the shocks are Dynamics. I am very sure of it

lol... that's what I thought until I pulled the wheels and found out they were set to the stiffest. What year/part year ACR do you have? That will determine whether you have Konis or DMs.

Lou

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Despite the huge torque that the Viper has, I've found that the Viper is actually one of the best cars that I've experienced when taking off from a stop. As opposed to small displacement low torque cars (that you need to rev-up and drop the clutch, which either spins the tires or bogs horribly, falling flat on it's face) the Viper can be driven quickly in a casual way. But it does take some practice.
I found the clutch in the Viper to be very similar in pressure required and engagement point with my 82 HP-95 Lb/Ft Mazda 323 hatch. The throttle in the Viper gives more gas per angle than the 323, which is the big difference, along with shifter feel. I never had to give the Mazda excess amounts of gas to start it off the line, I seldom spun the tires (if so, very slick, wet ground), or bogged down due to the car (only driver error, if any). Interesting how an economy car can be similar to a performance car. Examples- brake pedal feel, clutch feel and engagement, no airbags (Gen I), torque greater than horsepower, and NO CUPHOLDERS!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What is the secret for APEX regarding their quick 0-60 times

Apex should show up at the Ohio event.they could show the world the internal secret but not tell.

Max