What oil?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spent 30 minutes of searching and came up with nothing worth noting!:omg: The search engine here is kind of wacky. I KNOW that there has to be some extensive discussions on brands of oil out there. In fact, I've seen a number of threads from time to time.

I'm running 10/40 Mobil 1, but have some lifter noise that I want to see if I can quiet down with a different brand. I'm not ready to go to a 50 weight (low mileage on my GTS) and I want to try something different first.

Is there a good area to look on the boards or a specific thread to go to for gathering information on OILS?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a guy on here named Tom and he is in the know about oil. His user name is even named after his knowledge of these and other fluids. I believe he is the same gentleman that owns the 40mm brakes for the early gen vipers. I'm sure he will chime in.
I just spent 30 minutes of searching and came up with nothing worth noting!:omg: The search engine here is kind of wacky. I KNOW that there has to be some extensive discussions on brands of oil out there. In fact, I've seen a number of threads from time to time.

I'm running 10/40 Mobil 1, but have some lifter noise that I want to see if I can quiet down with a different brand. I'm not ready to go to a 50 weight (low mileage on my GTS) and I want to try something different first.

Is there a good area to look on the boards or a specific thread to go to for gathering information on OILS?

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen Tom's posts and he really gets into some technical details. Obviously, he has a lot more knowledge about oil than I will ever obtain. Maybe he can dummy it down for me a little.;)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your car came with Mobile 1 full synthetic 10-30w and now the newer oils supplied are 0-20(?) Mobile 1 full synthetic.

Can't believe you changed from the best oil on the planet? Amsoil also sells excellent full synthetic.

I think I used Mobile 1 5-30w last oild change on my Vipe. Same oil I use in my wife's Hemi Ram and my STealth R/T TTs. As long as you're using a full synthetic oil you should be good to last.

I wouldn't use any 40 weight oils nowadays.

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its just a car with an engine.
its oil, nothing to worry about unless you have severe conditions (especially cold temps and race engine which you dont)

pretty much any synthetic will be fine if you change it at regular intervals. and you dont even need to use synthetic. tom is gonna recommend rotella T diesel oil. quoting tom in a PM he sent me...

It's a mineral oil 15W40, so it's thick enough when hot and thin enough when cold. Lots of additives for cleanliness and wear protection - made for 80,000 mile drains rather than 5,000 miles. And it's not expensive, found at Walmart, comes in gallons. Any major brand is fine - Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300. It has similar wear protection as the race oil, and lots of budget racers use it anyway.

and from another time i was bothering him thru PM...lol

Synthetic oil is overrated. The additives make the performance difference - for example, the Valvoline and diesel oil have more antiwear additive. Diesel oil also has more detergent and dispersant. The high temperature protection is provided by additives instead of the base oil, so unless you are starting the car at -30C, I don't think you will ever see a benefit vs. a diesel oil or a Euro-car oil (one with ACEA performance specs.)

PittsS2B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am betting the 'lifter' noise you are hearing is the fuel injectors firing and not the lifters. These cars are known for the ticking noise coming from the injectors. I wouldn't worry about it, and changing the oil type will not make this noise go away.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to save my rep a little ... I just got the car and it was already running the 40 weight, so I'm going to have to stick with that size molecule (according to Joe at Performance Speed Tech). The injector noise was pointed out when he looked at it also ... not a problem and to be expected with a Viper. The noise I'm hearing isn't that loud, just noticable. It's been identified as 3 lifters that are just SLIGHTLY louder than the others. It can be taken care of, but requires milling of the lifter pylon and I'm not ready to do that at this point.

I've read a lot about the Mobil 1 synthetic not being in the lead oil wise any more, but there seems to be a lot of opinions out there. :dunno: I'm thinking about running Amsoil synthetic as that's what I run in my sport bike, but I wanted to get some feed back from you guys that have been involved with the Viper first.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always just put in what the factory recommends which is Mobil 1 10w/30 which is the factory fill.
Just to save my rep a little ... I just got the car and it was already running the 40 weight, so I'm going to have to stick with that size molecule (according to Joe at Performance Speed Tech). The injector noise was pointed out when he looked at it also ... not a problem and to be expected with a Viper. The noise I'm hearing isn't that loud, just noticable. It's been identified as 3 lifters that are just SLIGHTLY louder than the others. It can be taken care of, but requires milling of the lifter pylon and I'm not ready to do that at this point.

I've read a lot about the Mobil 1 synthetic not being in the lead oil wise any more, but there seems to be a lot of opinions out there. :dunno: I'm thinking about running Amsoil synthetic as that's what I run in my sport bike, but I wanted to get some feed back from you guys that have been involved with the Viper first.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just changed the oil in my '06 last week. Filled with 0w-40 full syn Mobil 1. Been using Mobil 1 full syn in all of my cars since 2001, no problems.

I'm thinking of adding Lucas Full Syn Engine Stabilizer to the V10. Anyone have any comments or experience with this product?

I also have been using one 5 oz. bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner every 1000 miles, but still notice the lifer type noise you guys are describing as injector noise.

4,600 miles of pure zen!

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Mike,The oil that i put in your viper is Mobil 5w-40 turbo diesel oil.That's what i was told was the best at the time.Hope that helps and have a Merry Christmas.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mike,The oil that i put in your viper is Mobil 5w-40 turbo diesel oil.That's what i was told was the best at the time.Hope that helps and have a Merry Christmas.

This oil is a) synthetic, b) an excellent viscosity grade since the 5W performance covers any low temperatures that Vipers will ever see and the -40 is very satisfactory for the most high temperature conditions, and c) has a robust additive package with higher than gasoline oil wear protection and more additives to survive the stresses of highly loaded high power engines. Still the best oil. Very close second, and both of these are far, far beyond regular oils, is the 0W-40 because that oil grade meets many European performance claims, so it also includes better anti-wear, better durability, and carries diesel credentials (because many passenger cars in Europe are diesels.) There is no need to add anything to these types of oils.

Best quality fuel injector cleaners are only needed about every oil change. Something that recommends usage every tank or every 1000 miles is too weak. Something like Chevron Techron should clean things up and if it doesn't, you have a more permanent injector problem.

Plum - I'm impressed that you made notes!

Merry Christmas, all.

V

Venomiss

I would bet you tried to put in "oil" in the search and came up with nothing.
When putting in a short word add an asterisk * at the end and that might help bring up threads too. For those future searches.

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Tom,I saw a post where you said that turbo diesel truck oil was great.That's why i went with it,Take care.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Tom and for the search tips, Venomiss. Guess I'll stick with the Mobil deisel oil since it seems to be the majority choice around here.

Happy Holidays All!

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
m-m-m, let me see now. I think I use just what Chuck puts in my engine...a mixture of hydro carbons and dinosaur guts, think he called it Mobil if I'm not mistaken :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
m-m-m, let me see now. I think I use just what Chuck puts in my engine...a mixture of hydro carbons and dinosaur guts, think he called it Mobil if I'm not mistaken :)

Says Mobil on it... check! But all the big boys make a 5W40 synthetic diesel and for the Viper, any would be just fine.

Last edited: