WHAT WOULD YOU DO......NEXT

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely headers. Lots of choices out there. I chose a complete Belanger system from BTR (Tom Welch). Power gain, quality, fit and finish, installation ease and sound are all outstanding. Do whatever is necessary to ensure that you don't get a check engine light. With just exhaust mods, my otherwise stock ACR ran 12.1's @119 mph w/o slicks at E-town a few weeks ago. That's a 0.5 sec. improvement prior to headers. I doubt any other single, moderate (i.e. not turbo or super charging) parts upgrade could produce such dramatic results.

Reaction score
I'd go with the TNT Headers to complete the exhaust set-up. If you've never heard the headers with the exhaust you have man it sounds awesome. I think a set of these headers cost around $4,000. Good luck

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Mark is right. The roller rockers and headers are good for the next step. Get the higher ratio rockers, I'm not sure what they are but I'm sure somebody can tell you.

Max

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TNT Headers are not quite that much. His website prices start at $2100.00 and go up to $3000.00 for 3". Great build quality. Two of the fastest Texas cars, Albert and Mark H., use them.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a fair bit of dyno data for bolt-on & bolt-in modifications for Gen II Vipers. You might look at my "Power upgrades" thread in the Performance Modifications forum. Net net, your next upgrade should be headers & flywheel, then T&D roller rockers and then heads. I would not change the cam in a '97.

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Hennessey / HMS:
Next? Well I would certainly not spend another nickel until I went to at least 5 driving schools! Well, hold on now... Nah, forget that idea, just get some more power and just hold on and have lots of insurance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

Everybody knows that driving schools are for the horspower challenged. More power always makes up for driver inadequacies.

The Golf Guy !

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Love those 96-97 GTS motors !!

Your best next addition for lower ET would be headers.
I am partial to Belanger for street performance. If you DO plan heads, RRs etc, maybe NOT Belangers for MAX HP. But mabe install and heat issues are a good trade-off.

The best bang4buck for pure seat-of-pants feel would be the 3.55 rear gear swap. It may not help your ET at all, due to an extra shift and extra wheelspin, but the G-force back in the seat is VERY noticable.

I further agree w/ Ben above.

If you want to compare header pro-cons, as well as discuss other mods, give me a call? 8a-5p PACIFIC 360.837.3937.
And WELCOME to the site! Not many 1st-timers around here!
Did ya join VCA long ago?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your budget can support it, I highly recommend the supercharger route. I have always been a fan of these from my old days of racing mustangs, but I am more so now than ever. The Viper SC that Doug Levin installed is by far the best bang for the buck that I could have done. I don't have HP numbers for it yet, but when I do, I'll post them. Borla exhaust and the Paxton Novi blower is all that the car has.

Actually, that isn't true...

All the MGW chrome should shave at least .4 of my ETs...

Just my .02...

JD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4